"lost spyders"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
redhawk44357

"lost spyders"

Post by redhawk44357 »

yesterday i was under the impression that i had lost an old rescue model that is my EDC for work among others. after i resolved in my mind that it was gone for good, i found it at home. which brings me to my post. what knives have you lost?.....did you replace them?......tell the story.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I lost my Leatherman multitool for a year or two, about 8-9yrs back. I had been opening up 40# bags of softener-salt and set the thing down on the water heater near by, and couldn't find it for over a year.

Just this week I thought I lost my HAK (s30v) when I discovered it wasn't in the belt sheath any more. I was sure it had fallen out while metal detecting, and that I would never see it again, until last night when my 7yr old son found it beside a book case in my bedroom. Lucky me, it fell out inside y house, and not in some tot-lot!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I lost my benchmade Stryker. I drive a 73 International Scout, and the hood sticks a bit. I was at the bank, and decided to open the hook and check something. I used the knife to open the hood, and left it on the windshield frame. Truck was started, I closed the hood, and off I went. I drove down the road and needed my knife for something, it was gone, to never be seen again. I hope the person that found it appreciates it!

My buddy left his knife on the trunk lid of his mustang after we got done working on it. He also left his wallet and a few other things. We took it for a wild test drive, and came back. "OH NO where is my stuff?" my buddy says. 30 minutes later we find it on the corner. Someone had run over the Benchmade, and it survived!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I know somebody who lost a Delica 1 in a wooded area for 2 years. It was found this last fall and returned. Surprisingly little rust considering the wet environment and the time it was out there.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

i had a lady bug years ago. probably one of my first folders. i lost it on a family vacation to sea world one year. i still miss that thing.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I just found my all black Millie today that was lost in old clothes in the closet. Misplaced at Xmas getting ready for church.

2nd knife I've ever lost. That leaves the only one truely lost...a Gerber Walker model in a car trade-in cleaning routine.
...oh you know why!
BW_BW

Post by BW_BW »

I told this story in some other thread a while back, but...

I "lost" the first :spyder: I ever owned (a UKPK) when I threw it into a garbage can at the airport. :eek: :eek: :eek: I know. I was desperately late for the flight, I was at security, my carry-on was in the x-ray machine, there didn't seem to be any mailing service. I closed my eyes and let it fall.

Of course, I bought the knife for less that $10 on the streets of Bangkok. I'd only been carrying it a week, and I didn't really know what it was.

I replaced it with a Caly3, but I was in for quite a shock when I realized I threw away a $100+ knife.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

BW_BW wrote:Of course, I bought the knife for less that $10 on the streets of Bangkok. I'd only been carrying it a week, and I didn't really know what it was.

I replaced it with a Caly3, but I was in for quite a shock when I realized I threw away a $100+ knife.
I highly doubt a 10$ UKPK bought from the streets of Bangkok was real either a clone or fake, I mean cmon. Being your first Spyderco, back then you probably couldn't tell the difference, even if you could now.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i lost a snap it for about a year and found it again last year, recently when i was doing an inventory i cant find an executive that i was gifted. i am hoping it turns up again someday. i also lost a cara cara out in the yard over winter..the elements werent too nice to it but it cleaned up pretty well.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Never lost one of my knives. Although right now I am missing my Surefire E1L :( Can't find it anywhere!
Vic
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Two months ago I purchased the all black Pacific Salt.

I had it two days then lost it. No satin steel to glint in my eye to assist in finding it.

Found it a few days later, set it down, lost it again.

It now sits in my Spyderpack until I decide on a lanyard colour to affix to it.......aside from black.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
BW_BW

Post by BW_BW »

Creepo wrote:I highly doubt a 10$ UKPK bought from the streets of Bangkok was real either a clone or fake, I mean cmon. Being your first Spyderco, back then you probably couldn't tell the difference, even if you could now.
I fully agree. Part of me even hopes it was fake, given its fate.

If it was a clone, it was well done. It had the full Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth on the blade. The action was smooth, the wire clip and deep pocket carry were right. I purchased a UKPK shortly after and (although I couldn't do a side-by-side) I couldn't tell the difference.

Also, the table had maybe 20 or 30 knives on it, but this was the only "Spyderco" I remember seeing. It certainly didn't seem like the guy had a container of fake Spyders he was looking to move. It seems just as likely that the knife was either found or stolen, and the seller didn't realize it was more valuable than the other blades on the table.

In any case, it was the knife that got me hooked. Real or fake, I appreciated the tip-up carry, wire clip and superb ergonomics enough to buy more than a few more :)
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I lost my first Spydie, a Delica CE with an integrated clip, while hanging onto the cables at Half Dome in Yosemite about 10 years ago. I promptly ordered a new one and it was my only Spydie... until I found this forum a couple of years ago. :)

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I've never actually lost a knife but my girlfriend managed to lose my treasured UKPK in January - ultimately my fault though, I know :rolleyes: It all had a very happy ending though, courtesy of Sal, who saw my story on the BritishBlades forum, took pity on me (we had all been distracted helping my father out of hospital), and sent me a replacement to tide me over until I could buy another. You can imagine my surprise & joy when his gift turned out to be a peel-ply CF UKPK prototype, which I have been guarding with my life and using (carefully!) daily since it arrived. :D
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Actually I just told my story in the "what was your first" Thread.
To tell the short part of the story, I bought a fully serrated Delica
in about 1994 or so. Had it a few weeks and lost it. Went back that
afternoon and bought another. About 6 or so weeks later my co workers
found it at the job site and returned it to me. I was so happy I went out
and bought the plain edge Delia. About 6 months later I lost that one, and
I never found it. :( I still have the 2 original Delicas.
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
Jarhead90

Post by Jarhead90 »

I lost my (Gen 1??) Endura w/ SE. I found it in the house but lost it again.
I still have my Native & Temp 2.
-Trevor

Endura
Temperance 2
Tops Wolf Pup
CS Voyager (SE)
CRKT Bear Claw
Native--M.I.A.
Paul Moore "custom" Knife
Meyerco Wharning
Shivworks Disciple
Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

I lost my beloved harpy which had been my edc for many years a while back. I think it slipped out of my pocket at a night club since I never used the belt clip. Well, I learned my lesson! I replaced it with a Tasman Salt that I've worn every day since then, proudly clipped to my pants pocket (except when visiting NYC).
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I had a "found" knife returned to me that I did not even know I had "lost"! :eek:

Back in '97 or '98, I had a Delica (no Gen #, this was before they made any remakes). I had shown it to a coworker/friend while at his house. Well, one day he walks up and hands me my "lost" knife. I didn't even realize I had "lost" it. I didn't carry it everywhere with me.

When I got home, I found MY Delica on the nightstand next to the bed. Apparently, my friend had found another Delica in his yard and just thought it was my knife. It had some surface rust and mud caked on it. It also had the integral clip broken off. :(

I cleaned it up and tried to give it back to him, but he didn't want it. He said it looked too "wicked" (they were both SE blades) for him to be carrying around. So I got out the Dremel tool and cleaned up the clip stump and carried both for a long while. Somehow, both managed to disappear over time.

Zoom forward to last year...

While browsing on Ebay, I found a seller who had some Spyderco factory-seconds for sale. Remembering what good knives the Delicas had been, I decided to get the knife that had piqued my interest - a black-bladed C41 Native.

This turned out (as I had expected) to be a great knife - even for a "factory-second." I carried it everywhere with me. I liked it so much that I bought a second Spyderco factory-second from him - a Tenacious SE (STILL trying to figure out why this one is a second. It's better than many non-factory seconds that I have seen!) :)

Then I lost it. I was pissed at myself, but figured the only thing to do was get a replacement for it. So this time I bought the regular version of the same knife. I liked it so much that I started collecting this model of Spyderco knives.

At a later date, I had purchased both versions of the H1 Spyderhawk when they came out. I rotated the two (SE and PE) in my EDC. Well, somehow, I lost the PE. I thought it had happened while I was at the laundromat, but wasn't sure. Went back and searched the parking lot, etc., no luck. :confused:

Some time later, I had to move my recliner for some reason, and there it was - my lost PE H1 Spyderhawk! But wait, there's more! Also under the recliner was my "lost" black factory-second Native! There is nothing better than finding a "lost" knife! (But I don't trust that recliner anymore - it "eats" too many of my knives) :D
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
JD Spydo

The Lost Spyderhawk in North Missouri

Post by JD Spydo »

Way back around 2005 in the autumn of that year I was doing some duties in my old job when I worked in some North Missouri wetlands. I lost an original VG-10 Spyderhawk SE close to a drainage ditch. One day later the ditch filled completely with water and it was about 4 months before I could do an all out search for it.

I never found that blade and I'm still agonizing over it whenever it comes up conversation. I looked for that knife for 2 & 1/2 more years until I lost that job. I doubt if anyone else ever found it either. Now that it is a super collector piece and a highly coveted user piece it just agonizes me that much more.

But the incident makes me really keep a very careful watch on the knives I use now.

To make matters more agonizing I also lost a plain edged Merlin up in that same wetlands project in the spring of 2006. Ironically those are the only Spyders I lost in the past decade ( thank GOD).

There are few things as gut wrenching as loosing a super quality knife. Maybe losing a Surefire Flashlight would be bad too> I hope I never have to find that one out :o
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

bohica1998 wrote:I had a "found" knife returned to me that I did not even know I had "lost"! :eek:

Back in '97 or '98, I had a Delica (no Gen #, this was before they made any remakes). I had shown it to a coworker/friend while at his house. Well, one day he walks up and hands me my "lost" knife. I didn't even realize I had "lost" it. I didn't carry it everywhere with me.

When I got home, I found MY Delica on the nightstand next to the bed. Apparently, my friend had found another Delica in his yard and just thought it was my knife. It had some surface rust and mud caked on it. It also had the integral clip broken off. :(

I cleaned it up and tried to give it back to him, but he didn't want it. He said it looked to "wicked" (they were both SE blades) for him to be carrying around. So I got out the Dremel tool and cleaned up the clip stump and carried both for a long while. Somehow, both managed to disappear over time.

Zoom forward to last year...

While browsing on Ebay, I found a seller who had some Spyderco factory-seconds for sale. Remembering what good knives the Delicas had been, I decided to get the knife that had piqued my interest - a black-bladed C41 Native.

This turned out (as I had expected) to be a great knife - even for a "factory-second." I carried it everywhere with me. I liked it so much that I bought a second Spyderco factory-second from him - a Tenacious SE (STILL trying to figure out why this one is a second. It's better than many non-factory seconds that I have seen!) :)

Then I lost it. I was pissed at myself, but figured the only thing to do was get a replacement for it. So this time I bought the regular version of the same knife. I liked it so much that I started collecting this model of Spyderco knives.

At a later date, I h purchased both versions of the H1 Spyderhawk when they came out. I rotated the two (SE and PE) in my EDC. Well, somehow, I lost the PE. I thought it had happened while I was at the laundromat, but wasn't sure. Went back and searched the parking lot, etc., no luck. :confused:

Some time later, I had to move my recliner for some reason, and there it was - my lost PE H1 Spyderhawk! But wait, there's more! Also under the recliner was my "lost" black factory-second Native! There is nothing better than finding a "lost" knife! (But I don't trust that recliner anymore - it "eats" too many of my knives) :D

My couch and recliner are the same way :D .......Sometimes it inspires me to
do some house cleaning!
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll