C129CFP Cat / C130CFP Chicago Announcement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

C129CFP Cat / C130CFP Chicago Announcement

Post by TazKristi »

The Cat and Chicago that were introduced this year have created some interesting challenges for Spyderco.

These knives were produced with one of two Taiwan makers. Unfortunately, the first run of these items came in with severe quality issues and the Spyderco Management Team chose not to ship them. Instead, we worked with the maker for any possible improvements that could be made to the existing parts already in process. Because all of the parts had been produced for both knives for the entire run of the product, it was difficult because the problems were in the carbon fiber scales and the jimping on the top of the knife. The second batch that we received was improved as much as they could be without producing all new parts. Spyderco accepted almost no margin in order to offer a fair price for the product regardless of our costs. Of course, in our turbulent economy they sold out very quickly and we are now completely out of stock.

At this time, we are not able to reproduce these products with our quality expectations at a cost low enough for us to continue selling them at the current prices. With this in mind, we have decided to immediately discontinue the C129CFP Cat and C130CFP Chicago.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Thanks for the confirmation Kristi.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Wow. So...

1. Thanks for the very candid public statement. Most firms would bury this or obfuscate with blather.

2. To me, this is further validation of what Sal has said (many times) about how Spyderco works with foreign manufacturers. That whole topic seems to be impossible to discuss without irrational interjections. Here, in spite of your best efforts, the project went off-track. The result: you pulled the plug (sorry for the mixed metaphors). You all continue to have my highest confidence. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The designs themselves seem sound, all the complaints I've read have been about build quality. So I'd guess the questions now would be, assuming the maker responsible for the Sage project could produce these two using the same CF as is used on the Sage I and at a cost comparable to the Sage I, would there be a sufficient market for them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Well, these will become hot items on Ebay...

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the info Kristi.
What will happen with the stock of these? Is spyderco planning to sell these through SFO as seconds? Or?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
prime77

Post by prime77 »

It's sad to see them go. I really like my Cat. Thank you Spyderco for being so honest about the situation.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

224477 wrote:Thanks for the info Kristi.
What will happen with the stock of these? Is spyderco planning to sell these through SFO as seconds? Or?
I think Taz addressed this:
TazKristi wrote:Of course, in our turbulent economy they sold out very quickly and we are now completely out of stock.
玉鋼
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

How many of them did end up in the market in the end?

Post by 224477 »

thanks kbuzbee, I havent spotted it in :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

[quote="JNewell"]Wow. So...

1. Thanks for the very candid public statement. Most firms would bury this or obfuscate with blather.

Any man that uses the term "obfuscate with blather" has my respect.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

The Deacon wrote:The designs themselves seem sound, all the complaints I've read have been about build quality. So I'd guess the questions now would be, assuming the maker responsible for the Sage project could produce these two using the same CF as is used on the Sage I and at a cost comparable to the Sage I, would there be a sufficient market for them.
I, for one, would be willing to buy these. In fact, I stopped short of getting a Chicago after getting my Cat due to the issues. I would buy both if Sage quality were met. Would be cool to use the same CF and spacers as Sage, but I know that Im getting greedy now.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Was raising the price of the knives to a point where the expected quality could be more realistically and reliably obtained not an option?
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
jlamb

Post by jlamb »

I read the annoucement this morning at work on bladeforum, and have been thinking about it a little bit through the day. Some folks have already addressed the fact that Spyderco has pulled the plug on the project due to qc issues and has done so in the eye of the public without being pushed under the rug. I think that is pretty cool and quite transparent of them. It seems to me that spyderco is trying not to go down that slippery slope of compromising on quality to sell to the masses-- which as most of us know is completely different wants than that of us knife collectors, users, abusers, accumulators. I know this forum is full of folks that want to pat spyderco on the back at every chance, since we obviously share the appreciation of their product so I wont go down that road too far. But, I just wanted to point out that Spyderco really does appear have their core customers in mind, not the profit of the masses. Even though this isnt really their fault per se, they have owned up to it and taken responsibility.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

Can someone comment on the quality issues with these two knives? I have heard of "issues" but nothing specific ie. carbon weave, blade center, clip etc.
In omnia paratus
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

I am saddened. These are both great designs and I especially love the Cat. :(
TazKristi wrote:it was difficult because the problems were in the carbon fiber scales and the jimping on the top of the knife. . .

At this time, we are not able to reproduce these products with our quality expectations at a cost low enough for us to continue selling them at the current prices.
Has there been any thought of trying another run of these that trades some of the expensive materials for better quality while still maintaining the attractive price point? The CF is very expensive but adds only cosmetic value, and the S30V may be more than this type and size of knife really needs if going to a cheaper but still good steel would allow it to better hit its target. I think something like a Cat2 with (preferably smooth) G10 scales and something like a 154CM blade would still be very much in keeping with the existing style and purpose of the knife while still allowing a larger margin to spend on the quality.

It would be very sad to see such excellent designs completely abandoned before they've even gotten a true chance to shine.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

SaturnNyne wrote:It would be very sad to see such excellent designs completely abandoned before they've even gotten a true chance to shine.
I absolutely agree - especially the Chicago. Perhaps the good blade steel could be retained but the scales made from G10, which has proven easier for factories to reproduce more reliably? :)
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

As I've mentioned in other threads;

1. Dump Taiwan, reproduce them in China instead! I keep hearing and seeing poor quality from Taiwan. China is cheaper and I haven't seen anything bad from the Chinese-made stuff.

2. Make them in G-10! Lower cost and just as good as Carbon Fiber. They'll compliment the Tenacious and Persistence nicely.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

HotSoup wrote:As I've mentioned in other threads;

1. Dump Taiwan, reproduce them in China instead! I keep hearing and seeing poor quality from Taiwan. China is cheaper and I haven't seen anything bad from the Chinese-made stuff.

2. Make them in G-10! Lower cost and just as good as Carbon Fiber. They'll compliment the Tenacious and Persistence nicely.
Loud > Logic

yea..I "keep hearing" that too. I would quote sources and statistics but they are made up. ;)
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I don't care where they're made to be honest - I trust Sal & the :spyder: people to choose the best manufacturer. There are always going to be problems in any supply chain and Spyderco have proven yet again that they can make the right decisions and that their eye is always on maintaining quality and they're dedicated to providing what the customers want.

(whispers) ... but a nice Chicago SLIPIT in CPM-S30V (or equivalent) with polished G10 scales would go down a treat over here! :D