Manix CTS pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nozh2002

Manix CTS pics

Post by nozh2002 »

Got one yesterday:

Thanks, Vassili.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Those are really nice pictures.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Donut wrote:Those are really nice pictures.
Agreed, awesome photos that really show the close up detail of the knife. THX for posting them.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Nice pics, Vassili, and I know pictures are worth a thousand words, but...give us some words. Whatchathink? :D
rodd

Post by rodd »

Hi nozh2002
Your pics are great. What camera and lens did you use? Lighting?
Thanks
Rod
Donut

Post by Donut »

rodd wrote:Hi nozh2002
Thanks
Rod
The Exif data says it is a Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi.

Lens and lighting, I can't tell from the Exif. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Wow excellent pictures!!! The Manix is a thing of beauty....

Thanks for sharing!
Vic
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

rodd wrote:Hi nozh2002
Thanks
Rod
I have three light sources - usual set up for knives. One lighting handle side, another straight to blade point which high light background around blade and soften shadows fro first one. Third light (on the camera) point to white foam board screen which reflect light to whole scene making fill light and light white screen which reflected in blade and make it look white.

I have Canon Xti, 3 Canon flashes and Tamron 25-75 1/2.8 lens... But key is lighting and it can be done with regular flood lights iif camera is on tripod.

Thanks, Vassili.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

I can not unlock this lock with one finger. I oiled it - did not work. I disassemble it and oil. Does not work, and thinking about this construction I suspect it is not meant to be open by one finger putting pressure from one side only.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Vassili.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

nozh2002 wrote:I can not unlock this lock with one finger. I oiled it - did not work. I disassemble it and oil. Does not work, and thinking about this construction I suspect it is not meant to be open by one finger putting pressure from one side only.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Vassili.
If you are, I am too. I cannot unlock any of my several CBL Spydercos with one finger/thumb.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think it was made so you can't unlock it with one finger.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

So far I only have the blue and CF models but they unlock with only my right thumb just fine. I initially felt the same way (even said as much after the CF arrived) but either 1. it worked it's way out or 2. I got better at it (likely a bit of both). To be sure, it is not as easy a pull as the regular BBL (to me) but it works just fine one handed... As far as this being a CBBL "issue" the P'Kal is a CBBL and is one of the easiest one handers I own so....

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Donut wrote:I think it was made so you can't unlock it with one finger.
Do you use your thumb nail on the forward edge of the cage or the pad of a thumb/finger placed on the cage itself (against the grooves)?

I use the former method. Many people seem to not like using a finger/thumb nail in this way to disengage a lock but it doesn't seem to bother me at all. I unlock BBLs the same way.

Ken
玉鋼
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

kbuzbee wrote:So far I only have the blue and CF models but they unlock with only my right thumb just fine. I initially felt the same way (even said as much after the CF arrived) but either 1. it worked it's way out or 2. I got better at it (likely a bit of both). To be sure, it is not as easy a pull as the regular BBL (to me) but it works just fine one handed... As far as this being a CBBL "issue" the P'Kal is a CBBL and is one of the easiest one handers I own so....

Ken
You are either an ape :D :D :D or I am a total klutz and wimp. :rolleyes: :( ;)

One of the knives that I can't unlock without working the cage from both sides is a 154CM Manix 2 that I decided (because it was so cheap) to start using as "worry beads" and see if I can wear the lock out. It has now been opened and closed many thousands of times and while it is smooth as glass opening and closing there is no way it will unlock for me without two fingers or a finger and a thumb.

By the way, as far as I can tell using the Mark 1 eyeball, not only has the lock not worn out, it has not really worn. In other words, the degree of engagement of the ball on the tang hasn't changed. I keep it clean, so if you do this in Iraq or some gritty environment YMMV.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

kbuzbee wrote:Do you use your thumb nail on the forward edge of the cage or the pad of a thumb/finger placed on the cage itself (against the grooves)?

I use the former method. Many people seem to not like using a finger/thumb nail in this way to disengage a lock but it doesn't seem to bother me at all. I unlock BBLs the same way.

Ken
OK, I understand what you're saying. I'm going to try that and see how well it works. It requires a lot more force than using a finger and thumb on the cage rather than using the thumbnail on the edge, but I'm game.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Really nice pics and knives!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

JNewell wrote:You are either an ape :D :D :D
Trust me, I've been called worse ;)

And yeah, I'm not the most delicate flower in the garden... But then.... :D

Ken
玉鋼
JT

Post by JT »

I operate the lock with two fingers. It can be done with one finger, but I find the two finger grip quite natural for me. I just let the blade "drop" after I pull the lock back.

Nice pics Nozh.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

kbuzbee wrote:Do you use your thumb nail on the forward edge of the cage or the pad of a thumb/finger placed on the cage itself (against the grooves)?

Ken
Thanks a lot Ken!

It works with the nail. I thin construction of the lock can not allow it to open with side pressure - it gets stuck, because only slide it has - blade itself in between those plastic head sides. So when I push it from the side it gust bend a bit and got stuck.

Nail trick does work because force applied in direction parallel to blade, but it is not 100% success rate - this plastic head, made I guess to make it harder - front part lowering down into the lock hole, so it is less room for nail to pick it, and hole a bit small for my nail to dig into it...

I would suggest to improve this lock by making some kind of groove in G10 around front side of the lock hole. This will give better access and also make it easy to apply force to the lock head in right direction (may be even by finger tip, not nail)...

I think I'll try to do it myself when I have some time... It is G10 - it has some nasty glass dust and require some special precautions to work with - need to learn this first...

Thanks, Vassili.
nozh2002

Manix II lock modification.

Post by nozh2002 »

OK I made this modification - groove around lock holes and it works very well. Now I can unlock it with one finger - thumb or index!

Please have a look how it works on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIcms1Xz_g

Thanks, Vassili.