Broken tip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buckles

Broken tip

Post by Buckles »

I recently bought a used Native for pretty cheap, but the end of the blade is broken. Whats the best route to go about getting it fixed? Should i just send it to spyderco and let them take care of it? If so how much does a repair like that normally cost?
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Hmm, sure hope it wasn't THIS one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Black-Stai ... 4839eb3b7d

That one has a BIG chunk missing off the end of the blade. I don't know if Spyderco would even TRY to fix that! If it is something a little less damaged, contact Warranty & Repair and talk to them about it first. They should be able to guide you from there. (If it IS that knife, you could call and talk to them anyway. You never know)
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Wow, if that is it and Spyderco couldn't take care of it, maybe Tom Krein could do a reshape and a regrind on it.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

gtrtech wrote:Wow, if that is it and Spyderco couldn't take care of it, maybe Tom Krein could do a reshape and a regrind on it.
Perhaps make a little sheepsfoot Native. :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's a link to Spyderco's official policy on such things. Scroll down to the section on repairs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I think that eBay link provided in the second post would make a fine Wharnie Native with a little TLC and Sandpaper or belt sander.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

bohica1998 wrote:Hmm, sure hope it wasn't THIS one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Black-Stai ... 4839eb3b7d

That one has a BIG chunk missing off the end of the blade. I don't know if Spyderco would even TRY to fix that! If it is something a little less damaged, contact Warranty & Repair and talk to them about it first. They should be able to guide you from there. (If it IS that knife, you could call and talk to them anyway. You never know)
It is that one lol. But at $8.50 I couldn't pass it up. Figured it could be a cheap project knife if anything. The first thing I did after winning it was send an email to Tom Krein. I'll probably see what spyderco charges for something like this first though.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Reshape it or grind it.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Ask Tom to make it into a "Native Toad".
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Ask Tom to make it into a "Native Toad". :p
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

What's a toad?
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Buckles wrote:It is that one lol. But at $8.50 I couldn't pass it up. Figured it could be a cheap project knife if anything. The first thing I did after winning it was send an email to Tom Krein. I'll probably see what spyderco charges for something like this first though.
Then your best bet is to see if Tom Krein or STR (Steve Rice) can do something for it. Possibly along the lines of this?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42805

Or, an example of STR'S work (third knife down. It started out like the second one down)

18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
cckw

Post by cckw »

I would do it myself with a dremel if it were mine. It would be a fun learning project, further more after you pay someone else and the shipping you no longer have a bargain. I would bring the top down first, couple reasons for that #1 is practice #2 is that side is more forgiving if you change the plan in the process.

the bottom I would do a certain amount with diamond rods in sharpmaker.
araneae

Post by araneae »

You want to remove material from the spine, otherwise you will bring the edge up higher into the grind. The Native could be tricky with the unique grind and spear point. A Dremel will give you a pretty rough finish that will require hand finishing if you want it to look halfway "pretty". I could give you a bit more advice if I could see a pick of what the damage is.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

araneae wrote:You want to remove material from the spine, otherwise you will bring the edge up higher into the grind. The Native could be tricky with the unique grind and spear point. A Dremel will give you a pretty rough finish that will require hand finishing if you want it to look halfway "pretty". I could give you a bit more advice if I could see a pick of what the damage is.
ok. ill be posting pics as soon as it comes in. i like the idea of having a Krein regrind, but for $55, i dont think i want to invest that much into something like this. looks like ill be busting out the dremel this weekend.
mjsnative

Post by mjsnative »

I reground mine and came up with this.
"When you get to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on". :D:spyder:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Well done mjsnative, I like the reprofile job on the blade and the handle. Looks like you opened up the Spyderhole access on the scales and added some scale jimping toward the but where your ring and pinky fingers would rest in a hammer grip that did not use the choil.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

Well as promised, here are the pics of the knife.(56K Warning) I have to say this thing is probably the nastiest, dirtiest knife i have ever had. I know it was a TSA confiscation, but the ebay seller could have cleaned it a little.

unit

Post by unit »

I think I would be tempted to just smooth out what is there a bit and create a blunt point at the tip (sort of like a double tanto with false edges).

Possibly make a tip like a flat screwdriver for scraping and light prying. Might turn out to be a pretty useful tool?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.