Police very hard to open. How to fix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rtz

Police very hard to open. How to fix?

Post by rtz »

I've got a Centofante 3 and a Endura 4 that open real nice. This Police 3 is stiff. Very hard to open.

What to do about it?
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Scrub everything (including inside of handle and pivot) with warm soapy water and a toothbrush, let dry overnight, then oil the pivot.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'll give you the usual answers. Try dropping a little lube in there and cycling it open and closed a bunch of times. I don't have a Police, and therefore don't know the particulars of that model, but if possible, you could also try loosening up the pivot screw a tiny bit.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rtz

Post by rtz »

I loosened it up completely and the pressure from the locks spring is so great, I think that keeps it from opening smoothly.

Alright, it was driving me crazy. I took it all apart. That metal rod used for a spring is brutally strong. What kind of washers are these(brass, copper?)?

What things can I do to this to improve this knives action?
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

As mentioned above, a little mineral oil will work wonders sometimes. I have had several knives that were stiff and a little lube really helped. Even on two used ones that arrived a little bit rusty.
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not all Spyderco knives, or even all Spyderco midlocks, open with the same degree of ease. Longer blades, in general, require a somewhat stronger spring in order to insure they close reliably and remain closed in your pocket. Aside from lubricating it with a good lubricant, and working the action a few hundred times, there's really nothing safe that you can do.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would not mess with the spring tension. Aside from voiding the warranty you could compromise the lock.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal