Endura ATS55 Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jlamb

Endura ATS55 Question

Post by jlamb »

My wife got me one of these a few years ago at a flea market, was there only 1 generation of enduras made in Seki out of ats55? I know it is older just not sure how old. Maybe Gen 1 or 2 I was thinking? Thanks
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, the only ATS-55 Enduras would be Gen 3 (barrel bolt clip). But I could be wrong. The switch to ATS-55 took place around 1998, at roughly the same time as the change from the Gen 1 integral FRN clip version to the Gen 3 handle with the metal barrel bolt clip. The two changes may not have been linked, so it's possible there could be either some Gen 1's in ATS-55 or some Gen 3's in AUS-8. Only thing for sure is that the Gen 2, which was the all stainless version, only ever came in AUS-6. Handle will determine which generation it is. Assuming Gen 3, it could have been made anywhere from '98 to '02. On the off chance it's Gen 1, it would pretty much have to date to '98.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jlamb

Post by jlamb »

The Deacon wrote:AFAIK, the only ATS-55 Enduras would be Gen 3 (barrel bolt clip). But I could be wrong. The switch to ATS-55 took place around 1998, at roughly the same time as the change from the Gen 1 integral FRN clip version to the Gen 3 handle with the metal barrel bolt clip. The two changes may not have been linked, so it's possible there could be either some Gen 1's in ATS-55 or some Gen 3's in AUS-8. Only thing for sure is that the Gen 2, which was the all stainless version, only ever came in AUS-6. Handle will determine which generation it is. Assuming Gen 3, it could have been made anywhere from '98 to '02. On the off chance it's Gen 1, it would pretty much have to date to '98.
Wow, thanks for the insight!
vito72

Post by vito72 »

i think Endura 3...

JD Spydo

ATS-55 era was a short one

Post by JD Spydo »

Deacon's got most of it nailed down. The ATS-55 era was a very short era indeed. Although I do have one Spyder that I EDC daily and that's an ATS-55, G-10 Harpy. If you can find that model in mint condition as well as a few selected other models with that steel in mint condition I highly encourage you to hang on to them. It was such a short era for a blade steel that I'm pretty certain that many of them will be nice collector's pieces as well.

You can also put 440V Spyders pretty much in that same category.

I myself tend to like ATS-55 blade steel. It's better than GIN-1 and some of the other earlier blade steels Spyderco used.

As far as your EDC Endura goes I say just enjoy using it. Not many users ever acrue any significant collector value. I would dare to say that there were probably more ATS-34 Spyders made than there were with ATS-55. But I'm not totally sure on that one.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

I have been collecting enduras for many years now and have only seen ATS-55 used on the Endura 3's. The only difference I have been able to find is the introduction of the Boye dent durring the use of ATS-55 steel. The ATS-55 E-3's Without the boye dent are more abundant. I would say the Boye dent was introduced near the end of the ATS-55 steel run. One set of the smaller serrations were taken away with the introduction of the Boye dent. The E-3 no Boye dent has 7 large and 7 small sets of serrations. The E-3 Boye dent has 7 large and 6 small sets of serrations. It is the same with the Delicas. The only ATS-55 Spyderco I have that is different is a flat iron folder. It has an ATS-55 blade with the fatter plastic clip. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I think it's great your wife bought you a knife at a flea market, an endura no less :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

vito72 wrote:i think Endura 3...

Vito can I ask if that endura dated 8/13/01 has a boye dent? Take care.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Hi BHD no its a wonderful standard endura SE in ATS-55 everytime i handled this knife i admire this nice steel, i think the great production was ATS-34
ATS-55 probably was a smaller production.

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

The 98 model was the upgrade to ats-55, with the change to vg-10 and boye dent in the 02 model.

I've been beating on my 98 model since early 03, and it's still going strong despite not being able to have a clip any more.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

vampyrewolf wrote:The 98 model was the upgrade to ats-55, with the change to vg-10 and boye dent in the 02 model.

I've been beating on my 98 model since early 03, and it's still going strong despite not being able to have a clip any more.
The boye dent came out durring the ATS-55 run. Vitos 8/13/01 Endura pictured has a boye dent. Take care.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Good info in this thread.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My ATS-55 Endura definitely had a Boye dent as well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
vito72

Post by vito72 »

i confirm mine too have BD
shao.fu.tzer

Post by shao.fu.tzer »

I could have sworn that the Endura I had in 1994 was ATS-55 although I guess it could have been GIN-1??? I forget!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

shao.fu.tzer wrote:I could have sworn that the Endura I had in 1994 was ATS-55 although I guess it could have been GIN-1??? I forget!
While it does not say what knives used what steels, the '94 Spyderco catalog doesn't even list ATS-55 among the steels Spyderco was using at that time. Vaguely remember either Sal saying, or there being something in The Spyderco Story saying, that when ATS-55 was used for the Delica and Endura, it was only used because of supply problems with AUS-8.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rycen

Post by rycen »

I'm 99% sure that ATS 55 wasn't used until the Endura/Delica 3 came out in 98.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal