has the dodo gone the way of the dodo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
quattrokid73

has the dodo gone the way of the dodo?

Post by quattrokid73 »

i didn't understand the appeal of this knife when i first got into spyderco. it wasn't until recently that i started becoming interested in one.

apparently there is talk of a sprint run...but absolutely nothing definite?

and also, i do not see any for sale anywhere, new, used, etc.

has this model really become a dodo? because i really wanted one!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

There is talk of a sprint run but nothing for sure yet. Keep your eyes peeled man it took me months to find my 2 that I have and it was from posting want ads everywhere lol Keep your eyes peeled and you will find them!

Or, just continue to nag for a sprint run like myself and so many others have been doing ;)
Vic
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Look on the USN. One is listed for $135.

Dodo's are easy to find. It's the jess horn jigged that are hard. :p

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Looks like its a plain edge blue one now at $125 on the USN.
Good luck quattrokid, grab it if you can! thats a great deal
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

so there is nothing definite for the sprint run yet?

i can not find the FS section on USN for the life of me...

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

not for sure there isnt, but we are really hoping it happens..and sal has dropped a couple hints to make us think there will be.

and its called "the cove" on USN you have to be a paying member to have access..
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I was thinking about this the other day but have seen one pop up occasionally. Then thought wouldn't it be nice to have a G10 Cricket because that'd be close to a Dodo :) I still haven't caught a Cricket yet though :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I don't ever recall such a frenzy for one requested sprint knife--the Orange G-10 Dodo. I think it will be just a matter of time before Sal or Kristi announce there will be a Sprint Run of the Orange G-10 Dodo. When that day comes, there will be an excitement the likes you have never seen. I dare say some would trample over their own grandmothers to get one. :rolleyes:
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
JD Spydo

Dodo is still loved and appreciated

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as you maybe not thinking it's a practical knife to use I urge you to think again. I keep a blue PE Dodo handy in my footlocker and I've used it on many occasions for opening heavy boxes and many other chores. I highly value my Dodo and it's a Spyder I won't give up easily. It's funny because when it was still in the line up you could buy them all day long for anywhere between $80 to $95 at any time. It's kind of like the first generation of Spyderhawk. I didn't get any significant appreciation until it was discontinued.

Oh I do believe the Dodo will eventually be back by popular demand. Although I look for it in a new blade steel and probably a different colored handle. The Dodo extinct? No way!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

hiredgun wrote: When that day comes, there will be an excitement the likes you have never seen. I dare say some would trample over their own grandmothers to get one. :rolleyes:
hey, all I know is if they make one PE and one SE I will be getting one in each variation at the bare minimum!!!!! I would love to get 2 of each but we will see when that time comes :D

I love my Grandmother dearly, but I hope she isn't anywhere near when those things are released ;)
:p
Vic
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The Dodo comes up often enough. Keep any eye peeled to all the sales forums and you should have one in hand within a few months. Price is not always agreeable but they're relatively easy to find.
sal

Post by sal »

We are working on a run for you. The model has to be re-engineered and that is in process.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

sal wrote:We are working on a run for you. The model has to be re-engineered and that is in process.

sal
I'm starting to think we owe the Spyderco team some Christmas presents next year. :D

Thanks Sal, Eric and team!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

this is great news! it's such a unique knife and represents the spyderco principles so well.

npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Thank you Mr. Glesser. I think you guys deserve some major props!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

sal wrote:We are working on a run for you. The model has to be re-engineered and that is in process.

sal
Sal and crew,

THANK YOU so so so very much for this :D :D :D

SPYDERCO ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vic
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Yahooo!
O.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
JT

Finally!!!

Post by JT »

sal
Ahh yesss! Thank you very much Sal&co!
as much as I am excited about the Matriarch sprint, I feel that the Dodo deserves a sprint even more.

Sssoooo....Re-engineering; CBBL instead of BBL? liners? what? Is this going to be one of those +20 pages threads, where everyone tries to guess the right answer? :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Yeah I am very interested in any changes that are being made!