Wharnecliffe Para?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Wharnecliffe Para?

Post by VashHash »

So i was doing some thinking and tinkering. Grabbed a fine tipped sharpie and my DMT blue stone to use as a straight edge. Then i looked at the wharnecliffes i have. One is the Ronin and the other is the Kershaw Needs Work. The needs work is a highly underated knife in my opinion and it's also my first wharnecliffe. This was before the spyderco days in my life and before the SD potential was realized as it is now. So i drew a line on my Para that would take the belly away and leave a REALLY modified wharnecliffe blade. I've seen another folder designed by Mr Janich for a different company that has the same cant as the needs work and that the para would have. This would be like a yojimbo though in a sense because it would be S30V Wharned and Comp locked. Sure the ergos would be off a little but i would not intend to use it for pressure points unless absolutely necessary. What do you guys think? Should I see about contacting Mr Krein? I'll see about posting pics in a bit. Here is the Pic i had to use a card to show where i want to cut the blade at. The marker isn't showing that well on camera.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've been eying the Needs Work and actually have one of those other Michael Janich non-Spydie knives coming to me right now. :) I'm going to sit it next to a few knives like the Manix 2 and put pics up in the off-topic section.

The only problem with the para wharnie is that if you remove the belly it forces the tip to be like 15 degrees which would be an amazing SD knife but truly a proverbial glass sword.

I was thinking of having Krein angle-grind a Cento4 to look like a very thin bladed Yojimbo on the same logic.

I like the way you think though friend. :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I do realize how thin the knife would be but... It would be used soley for "sd" purposes and in that case i wouldn't mind losing a knife by keeping something more valuable to me. Also i wouldn't get him to grind it thinner i'd ask him to keep it as thick as possible and just grind the edge on. I just don't feel like spending in excess of $200 for a Yojimbo right now. I only paid $85 for that para shipped and i don't think the guy who sold it to me ever used it. So tack on about 40 or so for the krein grind and thats about $125. About the price most people pay for a para.
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

good idea. My biggest concern would be to make sure the tip of the blade actually sits below the scales. i'd get it done with a tip-up mod and you'd be set :cool:
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

everything sits fine i've checked it you're not moving the point at all just removing the belly.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great pic example. Thanks for that.

I think for that "glass sword" scenario I mentioned above it would work fantastic. For "softer materials" I think many people overestimate what is needed to do the job.

That was a big critique of the Yojimbo/Ronin and even Mr. Janich's last Modified-Wharncliffe knife. "The tip seems fragile..." What the **** kind of SD Only knife needs a pry-bar tip? How many zombies are we going though with a Yojimbo?

People don't wear bamboo, chain mail or plate armor these days. I would put penetration on a modified wharncliffe or that ground Para on the highest level. No bulky leather jacket is going to stop it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bone is a really hard material but the wharnecliffe blade as told to me by others would seem to "Slip" instead of stick when slashing and i'm sure in a stabbing scenario it would either stab and fracture or slip as well. Fracture as in the bone not the tip. I agree some people look for something too thick when it comes to SD. I've been thinking this mod through and i've been comparing it to the ronin, the swick, and the needs work. I don't have a Yo to compare it to. I know Mike has a few custom ground enduras that he uses. I really would like to grind this para myself if possible but i don't think i'll have the time or equipment. If i bought an extra coarse DMT stone i could start now and finish in about two to three months though.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I think that would make a **** of a SD knife. Imagine than point going into the neck of a person or animal. :eek: