A battle to the Death: Spyderco or Kershaw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

The Kershaw Leek is a good knife, so are quite a number of other Kershaw's and a whole host of Spyderco's as well.
It's good to have choices, and as far as one being better than the other, it would be very subjective thing.
The major players make excellent cutlery and you really can't go wrong with most
of them.
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like Kershaw designs (some of them, some not). However I hate all AO knives and Kershaw tends to make heavier knives. Well...compared to FRN Spydies. Some like the Skyline are very cool but I would rather have a Tenacious.

It's the old Ford vs Chevy debate. Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather have Manix2 than a Junkyard Dog but that's just me. I like things with function over form and Kershaw tends to go further the other way on occasion.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

Kershaw just doesn't cut it for me aesthetically.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Kershaw makes some good knives too. They have collaborations with talented designers like Ken Onion, Tim Galyean, RJ Martin and Hawk. They are also an innovative company - and I'm thinking mainly at those composite blades - quite a novelty item, if you ask for my oppinion. I also heard good things about their customer service.
The same applies to Spyderco: **** good knives, innovative features, talented designers (like Eric Glesser, Ed Schempp or Jason Breeden and let's not forget Mr. Sal Glesser himself), fine materials and great customer service. As a bonus (and not a small one, I may add), we have here our dear Sal which talks to us on our very Forum(s) and spoils us with all sort of surprises :D
These being said, let's not forget that the dispute of "the best folder ever" is very much a matter of personal prefference. For instance, I wouldn't give a Delica for a Tyrade, although the price for the last one is a few good times the price of a Delica. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

Didn't we shoot down the H1 hardens as you sharpen thing a while ago?
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I shouldn't want to become so focused on one company that I couldn't enjoy the work and advancements of others. Personally, I like Spyderco and Kershaw and the knives they make. I also have a great deal of respect for Thomas W. from Kershaw.

He might have a little more of a temper when dealing with people putting his company down than Sal shows us, but he is a very good guy, and does the best he can to bring Kershaws version of "sprint" runs to the market with steels such as ZDP, CPM D2, SG2, S30V, S110V, and pretty soon El Max and M390PM ( similar to 20CV)

Yes, I have been carrying Spydercos longer but I still appreciate the new products Kershaw brings us, and the work they put into those knives.

and:
Ferhman
Buck
BRKT
Boker
Benchmade
Eye Brand
GEC
Ranger/Ontario
Ka Bar
Moki
Falkniven
Al Mar
etc., etc.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Both are fine companies that yield quality products and keep their focus on the consumer. I believe that the products of Spyderco and Kershaw are sufficiently different that comparisons are a moot point.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

... apples and oranges
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I had a couple kershaws,But when I got a spydie in my hand I new it was true love, and I never looked back. :D And once bitten your hooked for life.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Kershaws: Great knives unless you're left handed. The comparison between two whole companies is pointless when you're comparing two specific models. Tell your friend that he needs to expand more on the terms of this comparison.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Both companies are making good knives. I wouldn't pick-up anything out of 440 stainess, unless it is specified 440C, still you can find much better blades within Kershaw line. Within last few years I bought 3 high end Kershaw knives: Nakamura, Mini-Cyclone Ti/ZDP and Blur wit SG2 blade. Two of them were not comfortable in my hand, Blur was good, but not as good as my :spyder: for me.
Many people love and use Kershaw. But I will stick with :spyder: at least for now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

The Salts are hollow ground.
Really? i must be confused then...
Andy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My understanding is that with H1 due to the work hardening (which is a real thing*) you have to grind both sides at the same time. With FFG process you grind one then the other and using this steel the RC hardness would jump through the roof.

Keeping them hollow ground keeps the spine toughness where it should be. People who want custom-type grinding can contact Tom Krein or people of that type for very impressive work.

* I think much of the skepticism about H1's hardening is the "ramp up" mentality. People figure it starts super soft (Eg: butter) and ends up at like Kryptonite. Based on everything I've heard or read from Spyderco it's quite a real process but less "comic book" than some describe it as.

I'm the first to eye-roll at fads and overstatements. I've been there too.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Blerv wrote:My understanding is that with H1 due to the work hardening (which is a real thing*) you have to grind both sides at the same time. With FFG process you grind one then the other and using this steel the RC hardness would jump through the roof.

Keeping them hollow ground keeps the spine toughness where it should be. People who want custom-type grinding can contact Tom Krein or people of that type for very impressive work.

* I think much of the skepticism about H1's hardening is the "ramp up" mentality. People figure it starts super soft (Eg: butter) and ends up at like Kryptonite. Based on everything I've heard or read from Spyderco it's quite a real process but less "comic book" than some describe it as.

I'm the first to eye-roll at fads and overstatements. I've been there too.
Couldn't agree more.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Personally, I'd go with dried cranberries - they're swell.

- best wishes, Jazz.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Kershaw makes some of the best bangs for the buck in the business. There is no one else who offers a huge variety of knives under $50 made in the USA with premium materials like G-10, and they are pretty **** good knives too. (Although Spyderco's upcoming UK Lightweight challenges that.)

Kershaw, like Spyderco, also offers many knives in exotic and exciting high-end steels, they work with some incredible custom makers like RJ Martin and Ken Onion and Tim Galyean and the Hawk brothers, and they do not make purely aesthetic designs, with many of their models having excellent ergonomics. They are not afraid to experiment with new steels, new manufacturing processes, and new, unconventional designs... much like Spyderco.

They are also the industry leader in assisted opening and flipper opening knives, both segments which Spyderco has no competition. (Though most Spydercoites probably aren't all that excited by AO or flippers?)

Only bad thing I can say about Kershaw is that their insistence on bead blasting blades is really annoying, because a lot of my Kershaws have developed light surface rust, though easily remedied with some Flitz.

And everyone here already recognizes how Spyderco is excellent, so there is no need for me to extol the virtues of Spyderco.

What really draws me to Spyderco over Kershaw is the Spyderco aesthetic, Sal's strong involvement with aficionados, and the manual opening SpyderHole. Spyderco also seems to have a stronger and more varied presence in higher-end knives than Kershaw, which is another attractive feature to me.

As collectors and afi we have so many knives, there is certainly room for more than one brand... There's no need to hate on one or the other. I strongly prefer Spyderco, but that doesn't make Kershaw bad. I recognize their excellence, just like vanilla can be excellent, even though I prefer chocolate. Especially chocolate-hazelnut...
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

rachael ray...........yummo!!!!!!!!!
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

Here's one for the fans of both Spyderco and Kershaw. :D

Tom

GronK

Post by GronK »

I recommend you and your buddy do exactly as the title to your thread states. Whichever (if either) is still standing can post and let us know the answer. Pics would be necessary to prove the issue.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Interesting thread......lol
Suprised people actually think kershaw is "competition" :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!