Sal - I invite you to comment on my issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I think its kinda cool (as my issues are very minor). Has no effect on performance and shows they were not punched out on a CNC and put together by a machine.

Have 3 customs made of any knife and compare them to each other.
Then let me know what you find. LOL LOL

I hope these small runs continue. Its the best part of the hobby. :D
Sprints, LE's etc.........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

catamount wrote:Mine has an uneven grind, and I still love it. It is my favorite sub 3" :spyder:

Maybe this imperfection will get more of them out of the safe and into a pocket? That's where this knife deserves to be, IMO.
I went back to the original BF thread and looked at this pictures posted there. I'd looked at them before but wanted to refresh my memory. If you all haven't done that, you should. In my opinion, the OP has, shall we say it charitably, very unrealistic standards for a production knife at this price point, and is mistaking issues that are at most cosmetic for real issues. Big thumbs-down.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

JNewell wrote:I went back to the original BF thread and looked at this pictures posted there. I'd looked at them before but wanted to refresh my memory. If you all haven't done that, you should. In my opinion, the OP has, shall we say it charitably, very unrealistic standards for a production knife at this price point, and is mistaking issues that are at most cosmetic for real issues. Big thumbs-down.
This is clearly off center:

Until now Spyderco never has any compromises in quality - is it cosmetic or not (at least as I remember). It was almost Spyderco trademark. As I mentioned before all Spyderco in my collection has perfectly centered edge, so before, they very well match this "unrealistic" standards as well as every other company on the market.

Huugh brings bad news - deal with it! It is at least lame to blame whistle blower, IMHO.

I saw what angry "loyal customers" can do in situations like this, many times. They may trash whoever brings bad news, but what about hundreds who watch this and will read this in the future - I do not think this will be looking good after all.

It looks to me Spyderco is in situation with this manufacturer, so they can not really replace this knives. I do not think blaming customer in unrealistic expectation and just do refund is enough to make them happy...

...But I think Spyderco have other ways to make them happy. There are other limitred runs coming and many was not able to get what they want because of high demand. What if as an excuse for this situation Sal will give huugh, or everybody who has such problem right to buy one of the next exclusive knife if they decide to keep this one without refund? Just an idea.

I am as a side watcher will like this kind of resolution, rather then watch full speed forums war...

Thanks, Vassili.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hopefully, those who read it in the future will be intelligent enough and reasonable enough to understand that an inconsequential cosmetic irregularity in a location not normally viewed and so small that it only become easily noticed under extreme magnification, is not sufficient grounds to reject a high end steel blade. That, in fact, it's not even close to being such. The blade is 2.5mm thick, which puts dead center at 1.25 mm from each side. So the blade is off center by a fraction of a millimeter. It does not affect the knife's performance, most people would never notice it, and most who did wouldn't give a ****.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

I recently bought a $120 knife, not a Spyderco, that was ground evenly but the cutting edge was uneven towards the tip. I suppose this will be easily corrected by sharpening and I didn't bother to call or contact the manufacturer or the dealer because they'd just straighten it out by sharpening and I plan on using and sharpening it anyway. However, with a limited run knife I think I would be miffed about an uncentered grind. I posted in that other thread that I knew Sal would fix this and he did. I can't believe there were even more potshots in this thread. I think it was unfortunate that the OP was rejected when he tried to handle this privately and I still think the OP could have gone about this a better way publicly and he was impatient. I would always try and deal with the dealer first and make it public they were unwilling to help me, even if you are an over-seas customer, a customer is always supposed to be right. I think the reason many dealers won't deal with overseas customers is because they can't be cost-effective and meet the standards of business they like to employ. The manufacturer, however, is obligated if the dealer doesn't help and I think the dealer should be held accountable. I know that the OP used a link from Spyderco's own catalog but I never saw if he actually bought it from there.

I really feel that when people become incendiary and make broad accusations or assumptions that we will eventually lose that personal touch that Sal and others have with us and it will be unfortunate. Now someone can go ahead an accuse me of brown-nosing again but I don't have an angle other than I like hearing direct input from higher-ups in the companies whose products I enjoy and I put myself in their shoes and see how off-putting these interactions can be if I was attacked in such a way.
Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

nozh2002 wrote:This is clearly off center:

[.IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/h ... r/lock.jpg[/IMG]

Until now Spyderco never has any compromises in quality - is it cosmetic or not (at least as I remember). It was almost Spyderco trademark. As I mentioned before all Spyderco in my collection has perfectly centered edge, so before, they very well match this "unrealistic" standards as well as every other company on the market.

Huugh brings bad news - deal with it! It is at least lame to blame whistle blower, IMHO.

I saw what angry "loyal customers" can do in situations like this, many times. They may trash whoever brings bad news, but what about hundreds who watch this and will read this in the future - I do not think this will be looking good after all.

It looks to me Spyderco is in situation with this manufacturer, so they can not really replace this knives. I do not think blaming customer in unrealistic expectation and just do refund is enough to make them happy...

...But I think Spyderco have other ways to make them happy. There are other limitred runs coming and many was not able to get what they want because of high demand. What if as an excuse for this situation Sal will give huugh, or everybody who has such problem right to buy one of the next exclusive knife if they decide to keep this one without refund? Just an idea.

I am as a side watcher will like this kind of resolution, rather then watch full speed forums war...

Thanks, Vassili.
He was lame in the way he blew the whistle. In the end it will make everything suck more for everyone if people fly off the handle like he did. He could have posted the pics without the commentary about other companies and Spyderco's quality. Like I said, I wouldn't be happy with that knife either but I wouldn't have lost it when dealing with them privately. I would have made a few more tries before throwing in the towel and going so far to call the knife a "paper weight".
MCM

Post by MCM »

Between this minor (IMO) Non issue, and the Bushcraft it has brought out many low thread count dunce posters.
I guess its Spyderco's turn in the barrel. I have seen knife CO's go down in flames.
I was a major collector of one of them. (Can you guess which one? think auto)

I know what kill's Knife Co's. This is not one of them, this is a genuine
non-issue.

I am almost willing to bet $$$ this model will be one of the most sought after when its sold out due to its quality and design.
Think Dodo, Ayoob etc.
Fact of the matter is, 90% of the posters on this knife have never even held one. Food for thought.
I own (3). Hopefully four or more!
Its that good.
I'm not a cheerleader. Just stating the facts.

Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

MCM, I don't think this issue itself will kill anything and I think Sal has a calmer disposition than that guy I think you are referring to. I don't care what knife it is but at a certain price point you want something that is as near-perfect as you can get. I know that with the materials it is made out of that it is a bargain but I personally couldn't tolerate something like the OPs knife. I don't see what the problem is with getting replacement or a refund if they're all gone. The dealer should easily facilitate this. If no one really cares about that kind of uneven grind I guess it should be easy to sell to someone else.
MCM

Post by MCM »

The problem is a personal crusade to slam a Co. over a minor issue.
One the Co or dealer would gladly resolve.
But shipping costs make the owner feel like he was cheated.
This same poster has dozens of like posts.
I just hate to see folks jumping on the negative bandwagon without ever holding the knife in question.
Does that make sense?

I am also sorry he lives so far away, and buys from a cool U.S. dealer at a discounted price over buying from Spyderco or a local dealer.
That in itself will make dealers not want to help folks out 4k miles away.
Its a loose - loose situation.

Can anyone tell me if anything positive came of this?
Aside from a guy saving $60.00 in shipping costs?
As far as I can tell, that's about it.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

nozh2002 wrote:This is clearly off center:

Thanks, Vassili.
Please explain to me how the off-center grind compromises the strength or utility of the blade?
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

JNewell wrote:Please explain to me how the off-center grind compromises the strength or utility of the blade?
Please explain why should I explain anything to you?

It seems like "loyal customers" like to make it ugly. Go ahead. I saw this many times before, but for Spyderco first time.

Thanks, Vassili.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Don't confuse cheerleaders with folks that have collected knifes for 30 yrs.
Nuff said.
MCM

Post by MCM »

nozh2002 , what do you think of your $100.00 CF ZDP Walker?
Is this the thinnest edge of all your knifes or what!
Please post pic's.

Oh, you don't have one?

Please carry on with your un enlightened opinion.
Noumenon

Post by Noumenon »

MCM wrote:The problem is a personal crusade to slam a Co. over a minor issue.
One the Co or dealer would gladly resolve.
But shipping costs make the owner feel like he was cheated.
This same poster has dozens of like posts.
I just hate to see folks jumping on the negative bandwagon without ever holding the knife in question.
Does that make sense?

I am also sorry he lives so far away, and buys from a cool U.S. dealer at a discounted price over buying from Spyderco or a local dealer.
That in itself will make dealers not want to help folks out 4k miles away.
Its a loose - loose situation.

Can anyone tell me if anything positive came of this?
Aside from a guy saving $60.00 in shipping costs?
As far as I can tell, that's about it.
You hit the nail on the head. Nothing really positive came from this other than showing Sal is pretty cool.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The truth is that sprints are not for the masses, they are for the AFI's. A knife like the Walker is more nostalgic than currently "trendy". It's rare to hear the collectors moan about grinds and they have more invested in Spyderco than I have in my garage stall.

AFI's are steel snobs, history buffs, and more or less fanboys of a particular company. Having 1 of 500 pieces which are almost guaranteed to increase in value over months (let alone years) most people are ecstatic to own them.

So are the grinds perfect? Are people perfect who grind them? What really does look good with a macro setting?

I know at 20 feet away I look strange in a mirror. Keep that macro away from my face! I also know that 2.5mm of high hollow ground ZDP is a terrifying cutter that holds an edge forever. As Paul said VERY well it's not very thick...get a ruler and look at the 1.25mm mark.

If you obsess over production knives don't buy sprints. If you want high quality tools and are a brand fanatic buy 3 of them like MCM =p

If this was a FFG sprint run of the Walker nobody would notice because it wouldn't have drastic grind lines...it would still pop hairs and send post-it-note running in fear. :)

Sorry I said I would stay away. I promise I will now. I'm glad the OP has been indemnified and in quite a short time mind you. As for the loyalists attacking him...sorry that pesky freedom of speech. I'm surprised the language is so PG as the internet is a filthy place. The best way to attacks from random people is to raise a stink in emails or by calling W&R.

I doubt they post personal emails or rant-fests on the forum. Something tells me they have more class than that. =)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

nozh2002 wrote:Please explain why should I explain anything to you?

It seems like "loyal customers" like to make it ugly. Go ahead. I saw this many times before, but for Spyderco first time.

Thanks, Vassili.
I was just hoping that you'd explain why this is a real issue, as opposed to an excuse to flog trivialities in public?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:Sorry I said I would stay away. I promise I will now. I'm glad the OP has been indemnified and in quite a short time mind you. As for the loyalists attacking him...sorry that pesky freedom of speech. I'm surprised the language is so PG as the internet is a filthy place. The best way to attacks from random people is to raise a stink in emails or by calling W&R.
Yes, I'm looking at the page and post count in this thread and I'm outta here. At this point I don't want to dignify the OP's [fill in your adjective here] post with further discussion.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

To each their own. I've been around this community since I was in high school and owned my first FRN integral clipped Endura. I've learned that you can never please everyone 100% of the time. Some people are just extremely ahem.....''detail oriented''. They probably should not collect knives...at least not production models which they cannot handle in person before purchasing to make sure they are 110% up to their standards. Guys like this (nothing personal either, honestly) will not every use most of the knives they buy in the first place....the ones that actually meet their standards. They're too afraid to tarnish the perfection of the knife they so pain-stakingly looked over and over and over and over again to make sure it was 'just right'. ;)

Guy definitely does not know the meaning of ''tact'' either, at least not with this display of character. Let me call out XYZ publicly to address what I PERSONALLY believe to be major issues with their product...rather than contact the company directly.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Been following this thread for a while, and it helps to bolster the respect I have for the :spyder: brand and this forum even more. There's a bunch of pretty sharp(lol) peole here.

This thread got me interested enough to buy a Walker. It'll be delivered tomorrow. I believe it will be beautiful and useful, like the rest of my :spyder: 's. I have no doubt it will be a fine blade commensurate with it's purchase price. All of my Spydercos to date have been well worth the price I paid for them.

This Walker looks like it will be super neat. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!! If (unlikely) I happen to have an issue with the knife it will go to the vendor, who are reputable and proven.

Looking forward to tomorrow :D :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Can we talk about PB&J already. :D I'm HOOOUNGRY

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE