Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Hey mr. blonde any yojimbo's or dodo's or para 2's in the mix?! :D :cool:

Great pics btw, these new spyders are looking fantastic!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Grasshopper looks to be a great whittler!

- best wishes, Jazz.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

matriarch brown frn is by far my fav new knife! woah does no do it justice. :eek: :eek: :eek: of course the clear frn manix 2 is awsome but that matriarch is the show stopper!
the delica is a little "too much" imho. i dont know i may get it but its a little overwhleming at first glance ;)
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Superb pictures, Wouter. Thank you for sharing.

Do you know the country of origin for the new Kiwi? Is it going to still be made in Seki?

Also, does the new Native 4 sport a back lock? Did you handle it at all?
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

catamount wrote:That was the Breeden Rescue.
i dont get it? how is that called a pterodactyl blade?

anyway you look at the native g10? its looks like sal was carrying that alot! the clip is already worn down. that must be a popular model for them!
i almost wish i DIDNT see all these goodies. the wait will be unbearable and i will be thinking about them non stop!
thanx again wouter, the pics are so flawless! the lighting, the close up, the detail! wow :D
--an eye for an eye--

npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Thanks for the second batch of pictures, Wouter! Nothing as exciting here to my eyes as in the first set of pictures, though. I like the Native 4 but I'm not sure about this G10 version... it doesn't look as good as the CF version, and has too many similarities to some other Spydies (and some of the same design issues) that I prolly wouldn't buy it. The rest are just not my taste but ok, I liked everything in the first set of pictures and you can't have everything right? Great pics again, thanks for sharing them.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

D1omedes wrote:Superb pictures, Wouter. Thank you for sharing.

Do you know the country of origin for the new Kiwi? Is it going to still be made in Seki?

Also, does the new Native 4 sport a back lock? Did you handle it at all?
I believe the prototype Kiwi slipit was made in China. The new Native 4, like the CF version has a back lock. I handled it briefly and it was nice, but since I already have a CF Native 4 it wasn't that 'new' to me. Quite some effort went into refining the lockback in this model, I'll try to get more info on that later this week.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

^ i thought that too.
the handle looks like it belongs on a tenacious or persistence.
i too would prefer a g10 native but maybe with some color. def not black!
--an eye for an eye--

SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

npueppke wrote: I like the Native 4 but I'm not sure about this G10 version... it doesn't look as good as the CF version, and has too many similarities to some other Spydies (and some of the same design issues) that I prolly wouldn't buy it.
^ i thought that too.
--an eye for an eye--

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

spyderHS08 wrote:Hey mr. blonde any yojimbo's or dodo's or para 2's in the mix?! :D :cool:

Great pics btw, these new spyders are looking fantastic!
No Yojimbos or dodos, but there was a Para 2 that's still in the processing batch. :D

Wouter
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

Wouter do you know what kind of metal will be used in the Balance?

Post by 224477 »

Thanks Wouter, keep them comin` ! :D :D

The see-thru FRN is pretty cool however, I will wait for it to be used on a different design. I have the original M2 and dont plan to buy another one soon. I still feel sorry I could not go for the S90V and CF sprint run, when those were available.

I like the SS Kiwi and Grasshopper too, however I would appreciate to see them together with something we know, like D4 for example, thats a question for Taz possibly, I know you dont have them at your place Wouter. ;)

Is anything BIG with CF planned?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I can't recall exactly, but I think VG-10 for the blade and a different type of SS for handle of the regular production version. The balance is definitely high in my 'must have list'.
Wouter
revolvergeek

Post by revolvergeek »

VERY cool! Thanks for the pic!

The PE Matriarch and clear Manix seem like must-haves. The Balance could be very nifty also.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

SmoothOne25 wrote:^ i thought that too.
You're right, that's what it is! It's a very chunky, unrefined handle on what was a very elegant knife. I also think that the removal of the swedge adds to this effect. Some thinner G10 with a finer texture would fix it, but it really looked better with the swedge and without jimping.

I'm also not a fan of half-jimped choils like on this prototype, as well as the Sages and G10 Dragonfly. I would prefer no jimping here but Manix 2 style jimping would be okay too.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Hey Wouter,

you know i need that Delica! any idea of how many of those they will be making ? is it going to be 500 like the 25th Annv ?

awesome thread as usual

RIOT
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Great shots Wouter, wish I could have been there to see all that great stuff!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

RIOT wrote:Hey Wouter,

you know i need that Delica! any idea of how many of those they will be making ? is it going to be 500 like the 25th Annv ?

awesome thread as usual

RIOT
hey Will i saw this listed for over $1000 and that was with the discount & no this isnt a joke, it was listed on a few sites before being taken down..msrp was around 2K

edit: oh, no luck on those pics either, sorry.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
CombatGrappler

My son rocks!

Post by CombatGrappler »

I was going through the excellent photos and showing them to my 10 year old son. He has a few Spydies, like his old man. I showed him the Breeden Rescue and asked if he could tell me what other knife might have been designed by the same guy. He thought for a second and said "That Captain knife?" Much hugging of my son ensued after that. I'm so proud of that kid!

He's in the kitchen right now slicing onions for supper.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

tonydahose wrote:hey Will i saw this listed for over $1000 and that was with the discount & no this isnt a joke, it was listed on a few sites before being taken down..msrp was around 2K
We'll have to get twelve people together to buy the damascus Delica as a timeshare. I have dibs on August.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897