Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tribune

Post by Tribune »

I love the look of the Szabo folder! And the blade is ,if I read it right, 5" long! Spyderco usually saves me a lot of money by making folders smaller than I like but I'm going to have to get the Szabo! I wonder when it's coming out?
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

My wallet just exploded.

I love you Spyderco.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco Scoop: Dialex Design Junior

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is a real scoop guys! Eric asked me to share the Junior concept model with you guys. What you have seen so far, are production prototypes. This model is still a concept model, therefore it’s a little further away from production than the previous models. Concept models are usually not allowed to be photographed and published, so this is a real scoop.

Spyderco and Dialex haven’t been sitting on their laurels when the Adventura came out. This is the Junior.

I'll leave the expert presentation to Eric Glesser, who kindly helped me to make this video:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/go9TFNyePK4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/go9TFNyePK4&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Personally, I can see this design being a favorite for various groups of knife afis. The deep choil, compression lock and wide blade could be very appealing to the MBC crowd. The deep choil also lowers the edge which makes the Junior a kind of folding kitchen knife which could be appealing to the outdoor/camping/EDC crowd. I liked it quite a bit, and I noticed that it started growing on me when I handled it for the second time at the IWA Show.

So, what do you think about this design?

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That handle is fantastic! What blade length are we talking? Thx Wouter!
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

My wallet has the white flag waving is all I can say!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

IIRC somewhere between 3 and 3.5 inches.

Wouter
vito72

Post by vito72 »

very intresting and not usual design i like very much. I will buy one if will be a regular production.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That one looks very nice. It's like a variation to the Para.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

...love the drop point blade on the Dialex Jr. I can see that's one I could use as an "outdoors" folder.....plenty of belly to accomplish many tasks.

Thanks again Wouter for these previews !

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
THG

Post by THG »

Mr Blonde wrote:Image

So, what do you think about this design?

Wouter
The blade design is nice, and I love the choice of lock and clip. I'm getting the feeling that the cut-out is too deep for the handle to be comfortable, though. Of course I could only say for sure if I held it in person.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The video should work now, sorry for the delay.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/go9TFNyePK4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/go9TFNyePK4&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wouter
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wow Dialex comes in with a hugely unique design. What a sweet concept. This is a must have for sure. Looks like a great lightweight ergonomic working blade.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dc50

Post by dc50 »

araneae wrote:http://spydercollector.files.wordpress. ... junior.jpg

Wow Dialex comes in with a hugely unique design. What a sweet concept. This is a must have for sure. Looks like a great lightweight ergonomic working blade.
This will be as you say, a "lightweight ergonomic worker" Fantastic!! Image
dc
gac

Post by gac »

I really like those Byrd models. The flat grind and sharp point look good.
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

WOW! THat Dialex Jr. is fantastic! Best handle out of the whole lot! I'm not to big on drop point blades, but i know i want that one! I gotsta gotsta have it!

And, of course, Mr. Blonde, you da man!
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
MCM

Post by MCM »

Sold
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
iwolf81

Dialex Jr has a compression lock!

Post by iwolf81 »

The video report shows that the Dialex Jr uses a compression lock! My ATR and Para's would like a new sibling. :p Like MCM, I'm sold! :D

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'll have to buy this to keep up my complete collection of Dialex / Spyderco collaborations.

Really like this knife. The Akimbo was my favorite of his designs and this is sort of the the leaf blade version of the Akimbo.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JLS

Post by JLS »

If that's the Jr. model, I want the Dialex Senior with a 4"+ blade. Make it a clip point just for kicks too!

Seriously, that is a very nice knife that is well thought out. I'd like to hold one to see how the handle felt. It's a bit like a Perrin bowie with the deep cutout/guard. Unfortunately, I never cared for that in the hand.

Great report, Wouter. Thank you for all the time you put into this thread and here at the forums.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

This is why I love the compression lock. It makes unique designs like this possible