Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2010 Report - Prototype Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Jeez Sal's spoiling us . The 3.5 Caly and Superleaf :D ! Wow i'd have hard time deciding between the two. 3.5 inches has always been my EDC sweet spot. I'm really hoping SE edges will made be available for both of them, PLEASE SAL.
The slipits range has sure expanded, out of all of them my favorite's actually the FRN version. I definitley wont be buying any soon though,as it looks like a surefire path to full blown Spydie addiction.... :rolleyes:

now who said Para 2??

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
losabio

Post by losabio »

Thanks Wouter, this is pretty exciting stuff.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I am going to ty and get off light.

Maybe just a CLIPLESS Delica this time around. ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

Post by MCM »

and maybe a
Large Chinese Folder, Caly 3.5 & Chinese Folder Carbon Fiber. :p
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jay_Ev wrote:Thank you for everything you do, Wouter. The excellent pics, the write-ups, the descriptions, everything. I know it must have taken some time. It is greatly appreciated. I am bothered however by one thing. Was the brown Matriarch the only thing there that was fully serrated? I have a fear that Spyderco is slowly moving away from serrated edge blades. I know the SE models don't really sell as well as their PE counterparts so I guess it makes sense to scale back on models with a SE variant. Excellent pics and thanks again :)
I wouldn't worry Jay. There are a ton of current SE models so Spyderco obvious sees the merit even if sales don't justify it. The new para is still being worked over too.

On a less opinion based note, I recall the Manix2 and Stretch FRN being prototyped only in PE and then we got surprised in a nice way.
THG

Post by THG »

Is that G10 on the Sage 3, or is it CF?
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

THG wrote:Is that G10 on the Sage 3, or is it CF?
It's g10.

I really liked this knife with his nice bolt action lock.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Of the selection here, I particularly liked the Balance. Am I the only one this design brings to mind an Otter?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Man I love your Pictures!

Quite a few very nice knives. The Caly 3.5, and large Lum get my attention in particular, with a nod to the leaf hawk.

I've been dying to see if the Tuff was going to show up. That one is under my skin for whatever reason.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
patsknives

Post by patsknives »

OMG ...my credit card...

I just started to wait for both new versions of Chinese [Lum] folders to come out ....specially bigger model. Any app dates?? ...or at least months or even years

Sage with G10 and also looks great ...and new Super Leaf
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

Thanks for the amazing pics! I'm going to need a few of these...
Billy

Post by Billy »

Awesome pics and reviews Wouter (as always!). I am really liking the Caly 3.5 and the Balance. I just sold my Caly 3 because it always seemed a wee bit small and I prefer my Delicas in that size range. But the extra .5" of blade should make this one a real winner for me! :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

groan... just when I thought I had all the knives I could really justify...
Gotta have one of those superleafs (superleaves?). And I've been waiting for the Para 2... and Lil T 2...
Please don't show any more ;)

But big thanks for all the pics and writeups. Fun as always!
Mr Blonde

Eduard Bradichansky Shabaria Sprint Run

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Shabaria is back for a sprint run. This version has a burgundy micarta handle and it will only come in PE. It’s an interesting model, but I just couldn’t get a proper grip on it. That slender curvy blade is sexy though.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Paramilitary 2

Post by Mr Blonde »

After all the forum discussions, here’s the end product; the new and improved Paramilitary.

The most important improvements (at least for me) are the 4-way clip, no more exposed corner and the improved ergonomics. The clip on the Para 2 is put as far back on each position as possible, to facilitate deep carry. This conventional clip still provides plenty of handle to grab for a fast draw. I like wire clips, but on some knives the deep-carry feature can be a hindrance when you want a ‘fast draw’. On the old Para a small corner of the blade tang was exposed when the knife was folded. It was the main reason for me to get rid of my Para. This problem is now solved; the knife now looks and feels way better. The ergos of the handle were also improved. I no longer need to use the choil for a full-handed grip. The handle on the Para 2 is a little longer than the first version. All of the edges were nicely beveled; it almost melts in my hand.

The price for these improvements is perhaps that the Para 2 almost feels like an ‘intermediate Military’ vs. a ‘junior model’ of the Military. I’m definitely going to get one; I think it will make a perfect companion folder to the next prototype in this report.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Fred Perrin Folder 3-1/8”

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is the PPT folder that was prematurely seen (the custom version) on a few forums. To me, this is a folding Streetbeat or folding Streetbowie. I love that blade, no hump and with a slightly curvy blade. I love it! The clip seems left/right reversible. The lock is a hybrid between a Reeve integral lock and a liner lock. It’s not a small knife though. The handle is much chunkier than the blade specs would have you believe. This knife is a handful and the clip on this proto was still a bit too sharp. IIRC the production model will have skeletonized liners to make the knife a little lighter. To me, this knife has a high wow-factor and that blade looks very practical. I’m absolutely getting one, even if I have to take some sandpaper to that clip.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Jens Anso Zulu

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Zulu is the second collaboration model of Jens Anso, and this is different animal than the thin and lightweight Rocklobster. Like the Perrin Folder, it has a nice hand filling grip and a (slightly over) 3 inch blade. It’s certainly a unique blade shape. I like the lines of this folder.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Laci Szabo Folder

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is the last Spyderco production prototype I can show you (there are still some Byrds though). There were more models at the meet that we can discuss, but I can’t show them to you. We wouldn’t want to see cheap copies turning up, before Spyderco gets it right.

The Szabo folder is truly a megafolder. I think the blade was 5 inch long and the handle is equally long. Apparently, Laci is a big man who likes big knives. Laci is an MBC guy, and this is an MBC design derived from the Szabofly. Many customers liked the blade on the Szabofly, but couldn’t get one because it would be illegal in their area. This knife is something of a ‘regular folding Szabofly’. The design fits Laci’s reverse grip edge out style of MBC. The compression lock is set-up to take the tremendous forces of trapping and blocking. This should be an MBC-crowd pleaser.

To be continued…

Wouter
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Let me be the first to respond to these latest photos Wouter and may I say you've done a fantastic job in your presentation.

I'm looking forward to these new knives.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Holy beejezus, I'm in love with the Para 2! :eek: :D

Thanks again for the photo's, Wouter. That PPT looks awesome as well. Man, my wallet is going to be empty with all these awesome knives. :p