What is the best way to carry large folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

What is the best way to carry large folders?

Post by iwolf81 »

I mostly have what I consider as small folders (e.g. Caly3, Khukuri) and medium folders (e.g. Para, Endura), and they carry well in my right front pocket, whether clipped or deep inside. I also have a few large folders: an ATR that I clip to my back pocket during yard work, and Assists that I carry in coat pockets.

However, I recently got a Barong :D , which is about the same size as an ATR, and tried carrying that in my right front pocket for a day. Unfortunately, it wasn't all that comfortable when carried deep inside, and I didn't want to clip it at work.

So my question is "what is the best way to carry large folders?"

I expect to receive a few more large folders later this year (Blue Manix, Ti/M4 Millie, Gayle Bradley) and I'd like to carry them comfortably as well.

Thanks!
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I normally carry large folders clipped, but since you don't want to do that, would a belt sheath work? Buck 110s used to be carried like that, and people didn't seem to have a problem with the weight/size of them.
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

When it's to big for my pocket i clip it to the belt.
Between pants and belt.
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

In waistband seems like the next logical location, unless you send it to River City Sheaths for a neck carry option. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I usually carry two knives. One small to medium knife clipped to a cargo pocket or dropped inside. For larger, heavier knives, or oddly shaped knives (such as the Yojimbo), I like belt sheaths. You can have a leather holster-like sheath made or you can buy a leather sheath with flap from A.G. Russell. A.G. also sells two sizes of nylon sheaths with flaps which I find very comfortable to use. They completely cover the knife and most people don't even notice that you are carrying one.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Most pockets are at least 6" deep, and carry folders of that size quite nicely. I even had the Rock Salt in my pocket for a week or so.

All your medium sized 4" blades should be no problem. :D
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
feeny

Post by feeny »

Mini manix fits snugly in some jeans/shorts coin pockets - no need to clip... insert it tip down, hole up with the tapered (narrower) end going in first.

It goes to about 60% the way down, some more... few less.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Never had a problem carrying a Military-sized folder clipped in right front pocket or, occasionally, clipped in right rear pocket. IWB is another option as well as a custom-made belt sheath.
Jason
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I've followed Paul's lead and often carry my Barong or Military or Lil' Temp in my back right pocket. I carry a bandana there as well which helps keep the knife in an upright position.

I'll be receiving a back pocket leather sheath in a few days which fills the pocket and has a vertical compartment sized for my Barong.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Never had a problem with a Police 3, Military, or Calypso clipped in my RFP. If I need it to be visible (anything over 2" has to be were I live) I will clip it to the little pocket on the right thigh of my Carpenter style jeans.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Hey DM, I may be traveling thru SC next fall. Do you know if a closed flap belt pouch with knife inside is considered "visible"? I don't really think I will have problems, but just for my info.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Sequimite wrote:I've followed Paul's lead and often carry my Barong or Military or Lil' Temp in my back right pocket.
My car seat leather is scarred up from back-pocket carry. Doesn't seem to effect the synthetic stuff in my truck.
whovey

Post by whovey »

I use a pocket knife wallet. It allows a deep pocket carry, but holds the knife upright in my pocket for easy extraction. If there is any "imprinting" on the pocket, it appears to be just a wallet, and not a large knife. It easily holds one large knife, and one small one for non-knife people friendly situations.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

whovey wrote:I use a pocket knife wallet. It allows a deep pocket carry, but holds the knife upright in my pocket for easy extraction. If there is any "imprinting" on the pocket, it appears to be just a wallet, and not a large knife.
Wow. That is a fine idea. Do you still use a clip, or take them off? Where does one find such a thing?
whovey

Post by whovey »

Bill's Urban Wallet. Try EDCKnives.com and sometimes on ebay. I leave the clip on, but don't clip it to the wallet as it is pretty stable.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I find that carrying a large folder in my back pocket is the most comfortable way.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

2cha wrote:My car seat leather is scarred up from back-pocket carry. Doesn't seem to effect the synthetic stuff in my truck.
Do you have it clipped to your back pocket? Mine is carried completely within the pocket.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

I removed the clips from my Millies and carry them in my pocket like any other pocket knife.
grg

Post by grg »

My best way for me to carry my large folders is in a horizontal sheath made by Gary Graley(G2).Pocket carry for me is out.I've carried the manix,mini manix,wegnerand G10 caly 3 this way.Though the caly 3 isn't a big knife.

I believe I have about a dozen of Garys sheaths each one is a thing of beauty.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Sequimite wrote:Do you have it clipped to your back pocket? Mine is carried completely within the pocket.
I don't generally carry in back-pocket b/c of the clip issue. It only happens now when I've been fussing around in my shop and for one reason or another clip in back pocket. I think also exacerbated b/c I'm 6' 6" and have to slip and twist a little--lot--just to get in the car.