Spyderco Civilian Liners?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnAPA

Spyderco Civilian Liners?

Post by JohnAPA »

Hi all:

I love Spydercos and have begun collecting them for all uses: aesthetic, practical and defense. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to design, history and how they are built. I'm interested in your observations about my new Civilian. I have a Chinook that has full liners on both sides, an I have an Endura that has Skeletonized liners on both sides. My Civilian, however appears to have a full length liner on one side and no liner at all on the other side. I'm not sure what to make of this from a design stand-point and welcome your observations. I don't want to be critical about it's structural integrity because I'm not qualified to make such a judgment, I'm just curious.

John
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The screws for the pocket clip need somewhere to anchor into securely, that is my guess as to why it only has a liner on the one (clip) side. Screws would easily strip and pull out of bare G-10. If it wasn't for this, my guess is that the Civilian wouldn't have any liner at all.

This is just my uneducated guess and it could be 100% wrong, but I have several other Spydies that are constructed in a similar manner.

If it bothers you, somewhere on this forum there is a thread where a member added a second SS liner to his Civilian for a more symmetric and balanced look.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I find it to be a cool liner design... the Spyderco Civilian may be the only current design to still feature a single liner. Older models of the Spyderco Military and Police also featured single liners. I'm guessing it adds sufficient rigidity and pocket clip screw anchor points (as noted by Jay_Ev) while maintaining light weight.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Water Bug wrote:I find it to be a cool liner design... the Spyderco Civilian may be the only current design to still feature a single liner. Older models of the Spyderco Military and Police also featured single liners. I'm guessing it adds sufficient rigidity and pocket clip screw anchor points (as noted by Jay_Ev) while maintaining light weight.
Do you think the knife is sturdy in this configurtion? I don't know how sturdy g10 is to hold the blade if it was bent sideways?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

JohnAPA wrote:Do you think the knife is sturdy in this configurtion? I don't know how sturdy g10 is to hold the blade if it was bent sideways?
I think it is plenty sturdy enough with only the one liner, there have been other G-10 models which have had no liner at all and they are sturdy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

JohnAPA wrote:Do you think the knife is sturdy in this configurtion? I don't know how sturdy g10 is to hold the blade if it was bent sideways?
Concur with Jay_Ev. The older Enduras and Delica's only had FRN handles with no nestled stainless steel liners like the current versions and they did well.

It's one of those compromise things... just enough reinforcement with a single liner to make it sturdy while not adding too much weight.

Haven't found the link as yet, but there is one on reviewer who put (I believe) a single-liner Spyderco Military through **** and it held up okay (I say, "okay," since he REALLY put it through ****).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco's first G-10 handled knives were unlined. Problems with clip screws pulling out of the G-10 caused them to add a single liner on the clip side. Single full liner construction on G-10 and CF handled Spyderco knives became the norm for a number of years. The move toward dual liners was, at least in part, a concession to left handed users as it allows the clip to be placed on either side. In theory, all that mid-lock handles really need is four dime sized nested steel inserts at the clip mounting points. In practice, that would probably cost more than full liners.

Some folks consider lightness desirable, others consider it a sign of weakness and/or cheapness so, as with most knife related things, there's no way a given knife will please everyone. However, there is something to be said for the theory that it's easier to remove metal than to add it. Solid liners can always be skeletonized and in some cases even removed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Krazy K

Re: Spyderco Civilian Liners?

Post by Krazy K »

I bought a spiderco civilian and it has two liners is it a fake
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Krazy K wrote:I bought a spiderco civilian and it has two liners is it a fake
It's been over five years, so there's a chance Spyderco may have added a second liner to the Civilian. However, I'm pretty sure they haven't. It's impossible to say for sure without seeing photos but, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a fake.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Deacon wrote:
It's been over five years, so there's a chance Spyderco may have added a second liner to the Civilian. However, I'm pretty sure they haven't. It's impossible to say for sure without seeing photos but, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a fake.
I'd agree- all the ones I've seen recently in reliable stores are single liners still....Indeed, in the 'Civilian 2 Wishlist thread' the request for dual liners comes up several times.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

The Deacon wrote:
I've seen the knife in question, and besides the fact that the box screams fake with off colored and misplaced spyder in addition to other off-position text. The paperwork has misspellings within the first three words... So obviously that's wrong. The seller was contacted and he said it isn't fake and he is a spyderco dealer. He also claims he bought it at Blade Show.
The knife has 2 solid liners, marked as vg-10 with no boye dent.
Last edited by Drahkis on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Drahkis wrote:
I've seen the knife in question, and besides the fact that the box screams fake with off colored and misplaced spyder in addition to other off-position text. The paperwork has misspellings within the first three words... So obviously that's wrong. The seller was contacted and he said it isn't fake and he is a spyderco dealer. He also claims he bought it at Blade Show.
The knife has 2 solid liners, marked as vg-10 with no boys dent.

It's fake