Lum Blade stamp issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SoCal Operator

Lum Blade stamp issue

Post by SoCal Operator »

Hey folks, it's been a while.

I noticed something odd on my Lum Chinese a while after getting it back from being sharpened by Spyderco. Parts of the Lum maker's mark look like they have been worn off, both on the letters and the characters. It looks like whatever ink/coating was on there got rubbed off during the sharpening. I know this is not damage from cutting because it never happened before the sharpening when I used the knife, and I haven't actually cut anything since I got it back.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Can Spyderco fix it, or should I try to fix it myself?

Thanks in advance!
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
THG

Post by THG »

That happens when they buff the blade to get scratches out. Looks like they overdid it on yours like they overdid on two of mine before. That's why I don't send them into the factory anymore.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Did you get them repaired in any way, or just live with it?

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
THG

Post by THG »

Well they messed up the scales as well, so the knives were entirely replaced. I don't know what they'd do about just a faded logo.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Gonna bump this one more time for new input or advice before I learn to live with it. :o

(or try to fix it myself :eek: )

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I think that Bob would have said to go and use the knife, so you can realize the Spirit within the design. But that's just me.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Is it just the color that's missing, or is the etching itself gone? If the former, I know some engravers use a black "paint" of some kind to darken the background. I don't know exactly what it is, but it might be worth your while to find out. If the etching is gone, it's gone, not much that could be done to fix that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

The mark is still there, but the black color inside is rubbed off in spots. I intend to sell the knife, so I do not want to use it in case it is damaged before I can.

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

tell you what, ill give you $30 for it and we will call it a day :p :p :p just playing, sorry to hear that it wore off.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
araneae

Post by araneae »

Honestly, if the knife was already used, you reduced the sale value to any collector. Having a bit of logo worn should not detract from the user value of the knife IMO. I wouldn't try to do anything to fix it as I don't see this as a real problem on a used knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Sorry to read that happened. I had the color on my Caly Jr ZDP 189 Burgandy gold Spyderbug come off just from using Flitz to clean the blade via hand polishing with a paper towel. I do not think it is a big deal as long as you represent it properly when you sell it.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

anyone have pics of these problems?
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: