How do you sharpen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How are your knives sharpened?

Sent to the Spydie spa
3%
Sandpaper
7%
Stones
55%
Power tools
8%
Magic
8%
Other
19%
I don't use my knives =O
No votes

Total votes: 112

thebestnoobcake

How do you sharpen?

Post by thebestnoobcake »

I just touched up my blades yesterday and as I sat there slowly grinding away, I began to wonder how other people sharpen their knives.

Personally, (cos I'm a cheapass =) I use sandpaper, an old broken tile and a desk lamp.

So.. how do you do it?
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Considering where this is posted, I think you forgot one very important category, jigs like the Sharpmaker. To me, there's a big difference between freehand and jig sharpening, even if both ultimately involve stones.

As for me, I use DMT diamond stones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Sharpmaker, or Byrd Duckfoot, or benchstones. All done freehand cos I'm too lazy to do to much setting up. Sharpmaker is about the only thing that is closest to setting up and doing properly hence why I don't use it as often as the Duckfoot.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

gaah! I forgot the sharpmaker! I counted the right number of spots for the poll.. and then had to go elsewhere and ... forgot .. so I listed "magic" as an option =p
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sharpmaker. It was the first Spyderco I ever bought.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
2cha

Post by 2cha »

+1 for adding another category for jigs, seems worth it to pull that category out especially considering the host of the forum. After reading some knifemakers' comments, I recently switched from waterstones to Norton 8" x 3" oilstones. I still use either 8000 grit japanese waterstone or strop for final polish (and have on occasion added an intermediate grit waterstone into the mix). On blades with any kind of inward curve I use sharpmaker, but find benchstones faster for "normal" blades, plus I use handplanes/chisels so large benchstones just about necessary.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Add--I've used sandpaper spray glued onto old surfacing plate, really great for bulk sharpening chisels and plane blades with a rolling jig, 'cause the plate is big enough to mount about 8 half sheets going all the way through the grits. Never got used to it for knives.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I'm using a combination of paper wheels and the Sharpmaker.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

+Norton bench stones
+Sharpmaker
+Lansky w/diamond hones
razorback1595

Post by razorback1595 »

i have a piece of leather with 400 grit sandpaper and 1500-12000 micro mesh, i use not much force on the leather wich than gives me a v edge,
Pim

:D:spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Deacon wrote:Considering where this is posted, I think you forgot one very important category, jigs like the Sharpmaker.
Yeah, how did you forget that?

I use the sharpmaker for maintenance, the lansky for reprofiling, sand paper for polishing and touching up. And sometimes stones.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
addylo

Post by addylo »

Sharpmaker has already been mentioned but don't forget the Lansky. May as well throw in the Edge Pro as well. All three are popular.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have and use at various times:

hard & soft Arkansas bench stones
Spyderco bench stones in M,F,UF
DMT diamond plates in 800/1200 &8000 grit
Sharpmaker w/ diamond/m/f/uf rods
sandpaper/films in 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 1µ, .5µ and .1µ
Pasted strop @ .5µ & .25µ
leather strop
lansky keychain sharpener
various files

Different items respond better to different media and I sharpen everything from axes to straight razors so.....

Ken
玉鋼
JaM

Post by JaM »

Depends on the knife.

Opinel and other "carbon-blades" : sandpaper.
Cheap axe: old (wet)stone
Most other knives: sharpmaker

Just bought an arkansas stone, a white one. I want to go "freehand" again, I'm practicing on my Tenacious. :)
lilbuj

Stones mostly

Post by lilbuj »

I use

Spyderco Bench stones in M/F/UF
DMT Diamond Stones in XX Coarse / Coarse
Strops with Bark River Compounds

all of the above fit on jig I made so that the stones are held at what ever angle I set it at.

Sometimes if something is bad I will touch it up with the 1x42 Delta belt sander.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Lets see... what have I sharpened on...

benchstones, files, sandpaper (flat or around a dowel), dremel, 6-30" grinder, car window, coffee mug... aligned my edge with metal counter tops a few times...

My usual sharpening is done freehand with 200/300 & 500/800 stones, spydie 303mf, 2.0 (rough side) and 0.5 (smooth side) micron paste on my strop.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Magic!...I just send mine to Chuck Norris and have him stare at the edges.... :D

Just Kidding!

(Sorry Brad...I had to use that one!)

I use an old 203 Sharpmaker for the most part and an occasional stropping. I tried a DMT Aligner once or twice but went back to the Sharpmaker. I've also used the unglazed bottom of a ceramic coffee cup to touch up the edge when nothing else was available.
Jason
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I use DMT's mostly, freehand. I occasionally will get out a Spyderco flat bench stone, real Arkansas stones, Diamond files, sandpaper, and various strops, both loaded and clean.

Depending on the steel, hardness, geometry, and expected use I can go anywhere from 800 grit, to 8,000, plus various diamonds on the strop. I always work my way up and don't skip steps/grits

Mostly I end up around 1200-2000 grit, and from 30 degrees inclusive, down to 17-23 degrees inclusive.

I have little need for hard use knives but I have some 5160, 3V, Vascowear, L-6, 1084 and o-1 and A2 knives that go from 40-45 degrees inclusive. A couple are convex ground.

The right tool for the job when possible.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I use my sharpmaker almost exclusively on knives - on longer blades, I have some other sharpeners that are a little easier to use in the capacity but I still might touch up on the sharpmaker. I've sharpened old axes on bricks and other stones, whatever was available and shaped and textured right for the job.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Edgepro to reprofile and Sharpmaker to touch up the micro-bevel. I guess I need to vote for magic.

Gordon