Oh no, the clip!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Oh no, the clip!

Post by Donut »

So, I've been using a SS Cricket as a money clip for approximately 3 weeks now. The one thing that has always bothered me was that the clip was bent at a 45 degree angle so everything at one end got pushed together.

Just a little bit ago, I figured I would fix this and bend it so the clip went at two 90 degree angles.

I started... and snap!

Are the clips, that are meant to bend, heat treated? Well, I now can see that there are three pretty small sections of metal where I was trying to bend it.

What do I do? If I order another clip, I'm pretty sure I'll just break that one, too.

I really don't know what my options are. =\

Thanks everyone.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Maybe contact STR and see what he can do. He has titanium clips available which should accommodate the square bend you're looking for. His low rider clips to look pretty close to what you want, no bunching near the holes.

http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot. ... lding.html
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

That seems to be pretty unusual. Just looking at mine, the clip is certainly not bent and the end of the clip (opposite end to the screws) sits flush with the knife. I would order another clip - it should definitely not need to be bent into shape.

As for the clip snapping, if enough force is applied then it will break. The weak point is exactly where yours snapped. Over time though, and with a lot of wear and tear, I can see that the clip might start to bend a little. I had it happen to one of my knives (Chinook III) and I was able to bend it back into position, but only after taking the clip off the knife.

I think if you got a new clip, it would solve your original problem.

Cheers
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Here's a little picture to help explain. He started with a regular clip that was working fine, what he wanted to do was to bend the clip body down to the attachment point to 90 degrees instead of the regular 45 degrees so it doesn't push the items together.

Donut

Post by Donut »

spoonrobot wrote:Here's a little picture to help explain. He started with a regular clip that was working fine, what he wanted to do was to bend the clip body down to the attachment point to 90 degrees instead of the regular 45 degrees so it doesn't push the items together.

Exactly.
spoonrobot wrote:Maybe contact STR and see what he can do. He has titanium clips available which should accommodate the square bend you're looking for. His low rider clips to look pretty close to what you want, no bunching near the holes.

http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot. ... lding.html
I will contact them and see what I come up with. Thank you.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I had a custom ti money clip made a few years ago, clips tight enough for 2-3 bills and bends enough to hold 10-12 easily. Beats using a spydie as a money clip.

Best bet if you want to use a spydie is to get a clip custom made for it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a Ti money clip and put something like $400 in it... and found out that Titanium has memory and now it won't go back to holding one bill like it used to. It's too loose now. =\
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

Donut wrote:I have a Ti money clip and put something like $400 in it... and found out that Titanium has memory and now it won't go back to holding one bill like it used to. It's too loose now. =\
Hahaha, as comical as that is, its a shame!
Andy
THG

Post by THG »

Same thing happened to my Spin's clip. The bottom of the clip never touched the scale, so I tried to bend it a little. I bent it too much, so it started pulling on the handle scale and made it hard to open the knife. Then I tried to bend it back, and then it snapped in the same fashion as yours.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

Donut wrote:So, I've been using a SS Cricket as a money clip for approximately 3 weeks now. The one thing that has always bothered me was that the clip was bent at a 45 degree angle so everything at one end got pushed together.

Just a little bit ago, I figured I would fix this and bend it so the clip went at two 90 degree angles.

I started... and snap!

Are the clips, that are meant to bend, heat treated? Well, I now can see that there are three pretty small sections of metal where I was trying to bend it.

What do I do? If I order another clip, I'm pretty sure I'll just break that one, too.

I really don't know what my options are. =\

Thanks everyone.
Been there and done that. Sorry
...oh you know why!
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

those older clips arent terribly unique. you might be able to find one similar that would fit from a knife making supply website. maybe try heating the end you want to bend to "remove" (?) the heat treat or rather soften that metal. MIGHT make bending easier. havent ever tried just sounds good haha. good luck.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Well, at least I'm not the only one. :)

I contacted the custom clip guy, he's going to be away for a couple weeks, but then I guess I will send the cricket to him and he will make a custom clip for me.