Color

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
notos&w

Color

Post by notos&w »

I feel a bit petty and silly admitting this, but given the success of the "Rit Dye" thread and the number of folks buying trainers just to swap scales, I know I am in good company. Presently I am considering buying a the ZDP-189 Stretch II just because of its handle color. (Like I need another knife...) Yes, it would be nice to try out ZDP but the real incentive for me over VG-10 is the nice blue scale color.

I am not sure :spyder: would want to share their sales numbers, or give specifics on the costs of cleansing the molds, but I can't help but think that more variety of color would increase interest. Perhaps interest but not purchases - I don't profess to know. But look at the orange Millie or the natural Leafstorm. I was attracted to those just for the scale color I love my yellow Ladybug Salt sitting next to the red Delica trainer.

So, anyone else like a little color in their life?
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Bring on some more colors for the Stretch.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I love colored handles. The majority of my Spyderco collection features handles with colors other than black (Yellow, British Racing Green, Toxic Green, Foliage Green, Blue, Orange, ZDP Blue). I specifically waited to purchase the E4/D4 until they came out in a color other than black.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Am guessing that if the "test batch" of flat ground Delicas and Enduras in the new colors do well, it's possible other FRN models like the Stretch II may follow suit. Know I'd jump at a Stretch in the brown and the grey, and would probably go for the purple as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

I've tried to collect several different Spydies just because of the colors, and tried to limit the number of black handles that I have. I got one of the cheap trainers from poor_fish, just so I could buy an SE Endura, and swap the handles. Now I'm looking forward to a light blue Endura, purple Delica, and, hopefully, orange Dodo. Then I really should stop for awhile.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I think coloured handles are great - NKP friendly, easier to find if dropped, attractive, and never boring. And whoever is choosing the shades for Spyderco really has good taste. They're getting the shades just right. The pink on the recent sprint D4/E4s was perfect, not too pale but not too red. Same with the orange, purple, toxic green, yellow, smurf blue, etc. I even think the foliage green is right on the money. And I'm really looking forward to all the new coloured handles coming our way. If there's one drawback, it might be that they show dirt quite easily.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I would love a Stretch II with Foliage green handles, FRN or G-10, or both!
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Definitely a fan of different colored options. I am particularly liking the gray and brown of those new FRN FFG Delicas/Enduras.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I plan on getting some of the new Delicas: purple for my sister, green for my mom, and brown for myself. I like color!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I'd buy the blue Stretch if it was in VG-10.

I like black because I think that it always looks good, and I would always be happy with a knife with black scales. I like colors, but with colored scales I tend to get more picky... RIT dying aside, I hate white scales, for instance.. and I'm not too keen on brown either, but it depends on the knife style. Black is always guaranteed to look good.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I guess that I am a follower of Henry Ford's philosophy - You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Or in my case, black, brown, FG or gray. Perhaps ivory micarta too.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

The problem I see is many people who want color variation doesn't put money where their mouth is (not saying any of you are). An example is there was a flashlight that came in black, lots of people were complaining about no color, from the number of requests you'd think colored version would sell like hot cakes. Well the colors came out eventually, and guess what, all of the color sales combined is still less than what black sells.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I'll be honest. I had always liked the military, but didn't buy one until the orange version came out. I also loved the yellow tasman color, and of course dodo blue!!!
Half of my collection is colored, the other half is either CF, SS, and then black micarta and Only 1 black frn. Of course the Toxic Green is probably one of the coolest colors IMO

I'm with you. I want the ZDP Stretch not just for the blade steel but because that blue FRN looks sweeet :) Say what you will but I love that Spyderco offers colors in knives. I get tired of tactical all the time. (don't get me wrong though I do like tactical, just like some color too)

I put my money where my mouth is ;) I have a blue Manix 2 on pre order :D And if the Orange dodo happens.... I fear for my credit card :eek:
Vic
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

YES! I love the orange Military!

I would love a tan militarty, I hope that can happen some day.

I think the more color the better, I am tired of black knives.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Toad310 wrote:
I would love a tan militarty
:eek: oh good god! a tan g10 mili? is there an orgasm smilie? i think there is!!! if not i need one right now! :D
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."