High/low pocket carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ace

High/low pocket carry

Post by ace »

Hello-

Since I've owned my CF Sage I find it hard to carry any other knife when in public areas due to its very cool wire clip and flush-with-the-top-of-the-pocket-carry. I have many others, but only carry knives such as my paramilitary when at the cabin or in the woods/hunting etc. To make a long story short, I think there are WAY too few knives that feature a deep pocket carry--something I know is one of the most important traits for me. Even though I'd like to carry anything I've got to work or to the store or out around town, I feel self conscious with high carry knives. What do others think?

Thanks!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think I agree. I prefer discreet, low pocket carry style. Knives that do not carry low in the pocket I just use around the house. I don't like advertising to everyone "look at me, I'm carrying a knife". It makes me feel uncomfortable and self conscious, like I can sense people talking, pointing and whispering behind my back. To me it is a shame that society views knives and the people who carry them in a less than favorable light.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Th232

Post by Th232 »

+1, I prefer low riders.

Also why I prefer carrying IWB, with the knife there and behind a belt and/or shirt, very discreet.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

LJK

Post by LJK »

I 100% agree. I sold 2 Pmillies because of super high pocket carry. It has always been a big problem for me with Spyderco knives. And if you combine high carry with a stainless clip :eek: Everyone and his brother can see your carrying a knife a mile away. Not at all good in the big city.
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

I too prefer discreet carry, but in a tactical situation where the folder needs to be grabbed quicky,the more of the knife that's exposed the better i think.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

My Para-Military with green handles blends in pretty well. Of course I don't wear jeans most the time I wear work pants which are brown or green cargo pants. I rarely carry my orange Military clipped because it shows up like a traffic cone in the pocket and I don't need attention to the fact I carry a knife.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I don't know that I have ever been singled out in a crowd due to the pocket clip on my knife. Most people that I have come in contact with barely notice anything in their surroundings. I prefer to have a knife where ever it is handy.The deeper the pocket clip the harder it is to retrieve from the pocket.If it is deep in the pocket you might as well just unclip it and carry it loose and that will solve the problem of somebody knowing you have a knife . ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

Overall, I don't worry about this particular issue, but when I do, I carry my MeerKat. It's my only Spydie with a wire clip, and it disappears nicely in the pocket. Of my bigger knives, the Manix 2 rides pretty low as well...
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

I actually dislike deep carry as it is harder to get the knife out when I need it. I fit my wire clip knives with a small lanyard so I have something to grab onto for easier deployment. I generally have no issues with most clips riding a bit high.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

After I carried the Sage I, I fell inlove with the wireclip and the low profile it had. In most public places it was perfect, nearly invisible. I don't mind knives that ride up higher, but I couldn't carry the Tenacious most places because a combination of it's high profile AND it's polished clip was just too glaringly obvious. That being said, if given the choice, I'd definitely take the Sage I-esque profile.
may it not be tricksy
cr123

i would IWB, but open carry for me is the only option

Post by cr123 »

Th232 wrote:+1, I prefer low riders.

Also why I prefer carrying IWB, with the knife there and behind a belt and/or shirt, very discreet.

Hi:

I would IWB, but not enough room behind the shirt. Too much tummy. :@)

I'm fortunate to work for a company that doesn't mind sharps. Alot of folk are former military.

go spyderco go!
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I am fine with either high or low carry, with a preference for a high carry. I find it easier to extract the knife and I don't have to worry about carrying concealed, which is a no-no up here. Visible carry is just not an issue. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Steven Segal does a lot of location shots here. ;)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

+1 for deep carry

Do the Sage and Caly3 go equally deep?
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Native PE
:spyder: Sage I
:spyder: Pacific Salt
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue
:spyder: Manix2 Blue Lightweight
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

oldschool wrote:+1 for deep carry

Do the Sage and Caly3 go equally deep?
The Caly 3 is about 1/8" deeper.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

For me the rules are pretty simple really...

Work knives : High carry, tip down only, carried RRP
General EDC : medium carry, tip down preferred but not essential, RRP
Dress Knives : Low carry, tip up or tip down, IWB or loose in front pocket.

Just please don't put low carry clips on work knives!

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Definitely prefer the low riders (carrying a Caly atm). I usually wear cargo pants which have a pocket cover where I like to keep my knife and the wire clip knives seem to fit in much better than the others. Doesn't stop me from carrying my other :spyder: s though. :)
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
dalefuller

Hey... same here...

Post by dalefuller »

...except RFP for work & field folders! If it's a work or field knife, I want to be able to get to it easily. If it's dress or urban carry, a little more discreet is OK. A lot of mine get dropped down in RFP anyway so the clip position doesn't matter.
jezabel wrote:For me the rules are pretty simple really...

Work knives : High carry, tip down only, carried RRP
General EDC : medium carry, tip down preferred but not essential, RRP
Dress Knives : Low carry, tip up or tip down, IWB or loose in front pocket.

Just please don't put low carry clips on work knives!

Jez
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Billy

Post by Billy »

v8r wrote:I don't know that I have ever been singled out in a crowd due to the pocket clip on my knife. Most people that I have come in contact with barely notice anything in their surroundings. I prefer to have a knife where ever it is handy.The deeper the pocket clip the harder it is to retrieve from the pocket.If it is deep in the pocket you might as well just unclip it and carry it loose and that will solve the problem of somebody knowing you have a knife . ;)
I'm with V8R on this one. I've had at least one knife clipped to my pockets since around 1991. I think only once did someone ever ask me what I had clipped to my pocket and that was last year, at one of my daughter's baton competitions when one of the moms (also a friend) asked me what the pink thing clipped to my pocket was - it was my pink E4. :D

In my experience, the vast majority of the general public have no clue what a clipped pocket knife looks like in your pocket and even if they see a clip, generally won't ask about it. Case in point - two days ago I had to work a small trade show and had khakis on (usually wear jeans) and had my black/black Military RFP. The black pocket clip was sticking out like a sore thumb. I did notice two women (one at the show and one in a bank) take an obvious hard look at the clip, but that was the extent of their interest.

So for me, I'd rather have it readily and quickly accesible than discreetly tucked away.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MCM

Post by MCM »

For me, Super Low & Tip up only..... :)
I have been known to move / replace many clips......
The M4 Millie will be the next to get moved......
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

I like knives riding high enough that I can grab them and get them out of the pocket in one motion, with no fumbling - it makes for a far comfier handling. Low rider clips and wire clips are out... and the combination is even worse. I use my knives often, though, and I like big folders; no gent's sharps.
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...