A thread for guys who like BIG knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DMgangl

A thread for guys who like BIG knives.

Post by DMgangl »

With talk of several large folder models coming soon, I thought I would start a thread to talk about them and see if Sal would give us any info on them. I am extremely excited to hear about this since we haven't really seen anything over 3.5" since the Police 3 came out. Also something I realized and would really want is more variety for large folders with open construction and serrations. The only knife to fill this niche is the Military. Now I love this model and its a great knife but some variety would be nice. Especially with a blade shape like the Stretch (it could be called the Spread Eagle :D ), or Leaf shape blade. But an important thing for me and at least a few on this board would be Serrations. I know JD Spydo is with me on this, large SE folders like the Military, Police3, Police, and even Calypso, just plow through tasks.

So far I believe Sal has named a few models that will be available soon that are going to be at the Top of my list. If you guys know of any others I missed please post and lets see if Sal will give us any more details about these knives.

1.The biggest folder I know of that Sal has mentioned is the Szabo with a 5" blade.
2. The Resilience at around 4.25"
3. Extra large Lum Chinese
4. There 3.5" but the Superhawk leaf shape blade
and
5. The Matriarch

I am extremely excited about the options this year and hope to see some teeth on a couple of these new knives.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

+1 to the big knife selection!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I can't wait for the Resilience. I'd be even more excited for the Szabo, except there's a few legal concerns to work out first.

Hopefully if the Resilience sells well enough we can get a larger premium knife as well.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
ace

Post by ace »

Is there any City in the US where a 5 inch blade on a folder would be a legal carry?- I would proabaly not buy a folder with more than a four inch blade as it would be limited in where I could carry it. For a home defense blade I could see it, but I'd always like the option to carry it too.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

ace wrote:Is there any City in the US where a 5 inch blade on a folder would be a legal carry?- I would proabaly not buy a folder with more than a four inch blade as it would be limited in where I could carry it. For a home defense blade I could see it, but I'd always like the option to carry it too.
Pasadena, CA, home to a tiny downtown, great restaurants, and my alma matter has a 5" blade length limit. That's a great little town for you.
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

5.5" in Texas!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

While I often have a need for blade larger than 4 inches at work, it's illegal for me to carry a folder over the 4 inch mark. Plus a 4 inch + blade will have a hard time getting though customs here.
I'd rather just go for a fixed blade and save myself the worry.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
THG

Post by THG »

ace wrote:Is there any City in the US where a 5 inch blade on a folder would be a legal carry?- I would proabaly not buy a folder with more than a four inch blade as it would be limited in where I could carry it. For a home defense blade I could see it, but I'd always like the option to carry it too.
The state of CA has no blade length limit on manual, folding knives. Many cities have restrictions, though.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Being in Montana, I would rather have larger and thicker blades. I need something that I can truly beat the crap out of. Just hope they add some width to these new big blades coming out.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

Anywhere in Alaska. :D
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've been beating on a millie since fall 02, and an endura since early-mid 03. I know I can push the millie harder than the endura, but it's also more expensive to replace... so they both get used :p

Beyond the 4" mark is a range better suited to fixed blades, in my opinion. I don't think the wood I've chopped with my CKE beast would be kind to a lock.
We don't have a length limit according to C-46 [section 3, 84.1 “prohibited weapon” is the only mention of "knife"]. Quoted that location FAR too many times to hopolophobes.

I'm quite happy with the millie, it fills my hand and takes a lot of punishment.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

I used to prefer smaller blades, until I recently got my first Military. Well, I do still most times prefer smaller blades, but now I'm open to bigger offerings, thanks to that completely amazing Millie.

I have restrictions where I live, but I also have an, um, understanding with local and state authorities. So I still carry the Millie and another, smaller, blade (the MeerKat lately) to work and all over the county.

Long story short, I would definitely buy more bigass Spyderco blades.
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

grunt0331 wrote:5.5" in Texas!
ONLY? I thought Texas has a limit of 5.5'! :p
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

SC and GA only have restrictions for knives that are concealed. 2" in SC and
3" in GA. Other then that its free range on what I carry. No if I get caught doing something stupid they can try and tack on a deadly weapon charge, but I don't do stupid things anymore and do go were I shounldn't be.

As for larger blades lending them selves more towards fixed blades, about
4.5" is big enough for me. At some point too much becomes a bad thing. But I can see a situation where carrying a fixed blade wouldn't be an option, or where for size a folder would be better to carry. Something like the Police 3 for me is perfect though. If all Spyderco made was a SE Police 3 with compression lock or other open frame construction I would be a happy camper.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've got fixed blades from 1.5(ish)-5.5"

All depends on what I've got for my folder in either front pocket as to which fixed blade I carry to compliment it. One of my usual sets is endura on left, moran on right... or caly jr on right and gardener tanto on left (horizontal/rear)... I typically have a custom fixed blade on me.

I've got my collection fairly well split left and right sides with a few that I just have to flip a clip on.

Custom sheath came in the mail yesterday, both a right and left millie IWB/rear. I'll be putting a review up after a couple days of carry, but so far the only issue is the same I have with any carry in that location... seats with lumbar support are great until you have a handle in the middle of it :p

If spyderco made a small fixed blade (2"ish) I'd jump all over that.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

5.5" in Texas. Got to love it!

It is also legal to own a switch blade in Texas, as an antique or Curio'sity.
You just cant carry it! :eek:

Bring on the Bi-fold! and the Big blades!
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Something like that would be nice:

npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Is the larger Lum happening?

There also was talk about a larger Manix 2 4" or better.
MountainMedic

Post by MountainMedic »

Bring on the giants! Always been a fan of the larger blades. Can't wait to see what Sal cooks up for the big boys!
Mike :spyder:
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

I like the big blades and I carry one, Chinook 3, it's handy when I hunt or go to my farm. I would like to see a huge Stretch, with a 4 inch blade and built like a Manix or Chinook 3.