FRN Stretch Love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

FRN Stretch Love

Post by araneae »

Thank-you for producing this awesome knife Sal. :D After a day with it, it is the one knife I would pick if I could only carry one. Everyone needs to try this knife out. What a slicer it is. The size is just about perfect, not too big or too small. I may have to save up for a zdp model eventually.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
charge

Post by charge »

Glad you like it. I will be purchasing the VG-10 version in the next couple of days.
Here is a good Stretch review on YouTube for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD24HLC0Ydw

charge
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

The FRN Stretch is by far my favorite folding knife.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I like the Stretch so much, I have 4 :p
dc
Tank

Post by Tank »

Mine is definatly my new favorite
-John
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Agreed, probably one of the best out there. I used to always EDC a Caly, but since the Stretch arrived, it has been my go to knife 90% of the time (unless I am doing heavy duty work, then the Millie wins out). :D
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
THG

Post by THG »

It's my favorite knife. It's comfortable, cuts like a demon, and it's got sexy curves. There's honestly nothing I can complain about with this knife.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
duff72

Post by duff72 »

I'm with you guys - I love it
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like the bolstering on the handle. It gives max comfort and grip strength. 5 stars!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i got the se one online for $38 plus 8.95 s/h plus insurance (i choose high ups insured vs low usps) last week. when i get a new camera i will start posting pics again. i will buy the ce to complete the set, the se and pe are great. sux cause only 3 people online have it cheap, one is spydieguys... :( :rolleyes: i have a question about the blade i cant ask without a picture. like somehting coming off the top of the "top" of the blade. like look at it looking down at the top, you see a centimeter thin line of steel and the handle, right? ok then turn it sideways and in the light you see the steel like "joined together" or welded together and there is a peice that looks funy like it melted together...? does any of that make sense? :D oh well i will get a new camera next paycheck and post the pic then ask
edit: sorry forgot to say i bought two. that is why dave gave me it for 38 each. otherwise it was 54 for single. just ask any ebayer if you offer to buy two or three and see what they say. i got a deal from ashley at poorfish for 2 para se's recentley. cant hurt to ask. "sir, if i buy 2 or 3 at once can you give me a deal?" if they are big like poorfish or rareblades or whitemountain or etc they usualy say yes. even if they say ok if you buy 2 and i will knock 20 bux total. some say yes, some say no. depending on the model and seller and time of year. a buddy got a kiwi cf for $40 and $40 and that is how i got mine - from him. it helps it you use them alot. i use poorfish all the time and had an incident with them that they made right and its been cool ever since. i have to say.... doesnt hurt to ask. you can buy multiples and re-sell and pocket the difference ad go buy a new knife with the proceeds. :)
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

+1 for Stretch love!

Stretch and Urban for EDC at the moment.
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
THG

Post by THG »

SmoothOne25 wrote:i got the se one online for $38 plus 8.95 s/h
WHAT?! Are you sure you didn't mean $83?
SmoothOne25 wrote:i have a question about the blade i cant ask without a picture. like somehting coming off the top of the "top" of the blade. like look at it looking down at the top, you see a centimeter thin line of steel and the handle, right? ok then turn it sideways and in the light you see the steel like "joined together" or welded together and there is a peice that looks funy like it melted together...? does any of that make sense?
Nope, doesn't make sense :p

I don't have any funny lines like that on my blade.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

SmoothOne25 wrote: ok then turn it sideways and in the light you see the steel like "joined together" or welded together and there is a peice that looks funy like it melted together...? does any of that make sense? :D oh well i will get a new camera next paycheck and post the pic then ask
This are right here? Just looks like a little softening of the grind lines, probably to make it feel better to the thumb when opening.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Glad you like it Araneae. IMHO, the Stretch is Sal's best "over three inch" and "general use" folder design to date. The FRN versions are, in some ways, the best incarnations of that design Spyderco has produced. Their extra thickness, compared to the original SS Stretch and the CF Stretch II, make them more comfortable for prolonged use, at least for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I love the FRN Stretch. The ZDP PE is in my future as is the Spyderedge version.

The Stretch has replaced everything as an EDC.

Im hoping for an all black version in the future.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Bluefish

Post by Bluefish »

I have been tempted to get one for awhile but I just don't know how it could improve on my krein grind enduras. The skeletonized liner lead me to believe that the endura is a little more solid. tell me what you think about my angle on this. Thanks, Russ
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Araneae,

Mine get a lot of pocket time. It's a useful size for a variety of cutting chores.

The design has evolved over a long period of time. This type of refinement gets the advantage of much customer feedback and refinement time.

We're pleased that our customers like it.

The "Sage" pattern, while new in itself, shares the same type of long term refinement over time. (Native / Calypso / Caly / UKPK, etc)

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bluefish wrote:I have been tempted to get one for awhile but I just don't know how it could improve on my krein grind enduras. The skeletonized liner lead me to believe that the endura is a little more solid. tell me what you think about my angle on this. Thanks, Russ
The stretch also has liners. Give it a shot.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bluefish wrote:I have been tempted to get one for awhile but I just don't know how it could improve on my krein grind enduras. The skeletonized liner lead me to believe that the endura is a little more solid. tell me what you think about my angle on this. Thanks, Russ
Am assuming your Endura is FRN. If that's the case, if you look inside it you will find it's liners are skeletonized to about the same extent as those of the FRN Stretch II. Since you've eliminated one of the Stretch's greatest advantages, the full flat grind, that leaves only its superior handle shape and usable 50/50 choil. A couple somewhat lesser advantages would be its larger 14mm Spyderhole and its narrower blade which allows it to turn tighter curves in thick material. The plus for the Endura would be the extra 1/4" of blade, which you pay for with over 1/2" more handle length.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For all intensive purposes they are very similar. Frn, nested drilled liners, lockback, etc. The main strength difference is flat ground gives a less stout blade than flat-saber ground. However, it slices much better. Either are very tough and nice cutting knives.