Concealex for the H1 Warrior

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

very nice work, if i carried fixed blades i would be getting in the big line that you must have at your shop door. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
markg

Post by markg »

Good guy, catch if you are at a show. I got a sheath for a Gunting back in 2004 from him. Loves to talk knives and show you the 27 inch Bowie he has concealed. :)
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Mike was nice enough to get in touch with me when he had another small batch of these ready. I have to say that this sheath is perfect fit with my Warrior, it really looks like they were a match made in heaven.

Warrior with Mike Sastre ( River City Sheaths ) Concealex Sheath
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Great pics, Ian! Thanks for posting them - your camera skills definitely exceed my own. Also thanks for the kind words!
Changed a couple things around in the process, and from all the feedback I've gotten so far, I've got a generic fit, so there will not be any need to send in your H1 Warriors to have a sheath made. I've always got a backlog, so can only do these in small batches in between working on other knives, but will "sneak" them into the mix when I can because of the knife's popularity, and people's desire for a sheath set up more along the lines of the original designer's (Wanner/Taylor) intent.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Great pics and great work on the sheath, Mike!

Very cool stuff...

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Dr. Detroit

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Hi Mike, when you get to my Warrior, can you add a IWB loop to it? Unless the draw tension would be different for an IWB sheath and a G-clip sheath. Thanks!
The difference betwwen genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Dr. Detroit wrote:Hi Mike, when you get to my Warrior, can you add a IWB loop to it? Unless the draw tension would be different for an IWB sheath and a G-clip sheath. Thanks!
No problem, Chris. Draw tension is set for the attached G-clip - firm enough, yet fast. Swapping it out for the optional IWB loop would only quicken the draw, if there were any change at all. Security is not affected. We'll play "catch-up" with the add-on when I do the Bowie for you.
Dr. Detroit

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Awesome Mike,thanks. I can't wait to try out the Warrior and the bowie.
The difference betwwen genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

It looks great Mike. Amazing work. Great job.

Awesome pictures Cougar!
angusW

Post by angusW »

Great job on the sheath. Couldn't be any better. With the Swick 2 coming out are you going to be doing sheaths for them?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Wow. Just wow.
That is one good looking combination...

I'm definitely going to get myself a Warrior eventually, and one of those sheaths!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Sweet work Mike!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Mike - That appears to be a great sheath for the Spyderco Warrior.

Do you have any thoughts, or insight into the sheath that ships with the Warrior.

Although I haven't handled your sheath, it sure appears to be superior to the factory sheath.

John

John,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm responding to your question here so as not to hijack this thread http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43185, since this is already about my H1 Warrior sheath, and there are better picture here anyway.

It's my understanding that the Israeli who adapted the Wanner/Taylor Warrior design to the H1, did so for their Military, and in that context, the Spec-Ops sheath makes perfect sense. It can be set up for any number of carries with military gear, and has enough safety straps to insure the knife doesn't accidently come loose from the sheath and becomes lost. Spec-Ops makes some very high quality gear, and can be used as a factory sheath without driving up the unit cost on an already premium knife.

The full sized Warrior and Hobbit Warrior were designed to be used as Reverse Grip fighters, and my sheath reflects my ideas on quick deployment with possible concealment, both of which I think are important attributes in a sheath for a fighter that is not necessarily limited to military use. I've always thought that the release is just as important as retention, and by doing custom work rather than production, I can take the extra steps to do all the tweaks necessary to deliver a product the way I think it should be, without having the "bean counters" try to keep costs to absolute minimum, as they would with production work.
shrpshn

Post by shrpshn »

Thanks for the info Mike. I understand the use of the Spec Ops sheath now, seeing it was to meet the specs of the Israeli military. Like you, I have no problems with Spec Ops gear.

I was surprised that the Warrior was such a loose fit in the Spec Ops sheath; I was expecting something more along the lines of your concealex sheaths: And, if I get one for personal use, you will be hearing from me! :D

I am very impressed with the Warrior quality; but I that is what I expect from Spyderco - Evertime/Every Knife/Never disapointed. :)

Thanks again.......
John
SharpShin' Blades
Affordable Knives & Air Guns
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

John,

I believe this was covered in another post, but you can tighten up any loose fit of the Spec-Ops sheath by removing the kydex insert and heating up the area that needs adjustment, with either a hair dryer or heat gun. A hair dryer is the safer bet though, 'cause if you are not experienced with using a heat gun with kydex, it is too easy to go too far too quickly.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That sheath looks really great Mike. I'd like to add that I've found the Spec-Ops sheath adjustable retention strap works really well too, in preventing rattle in the generic kydex liner. I use a small Spec-Ops sheath for a Temperance FB and when the retention strap near the guard is adjusted properly, the knife stays in place without rattling.

wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
bc

Post by bc »

Wow.

Mike, this sheath completes the Warrior. I can't say enough good about it....it is now possible to EDC as discretely as my Dragonfly!

If you buy a Warrior, a Mike Sastre with an inside the belt carry is a MUST.

Thanks to this great forum for the hookup.
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Anyone know if Mike still makes the sheath for the Spyderco Warrior?
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I'm sure he does. I would send him an email or a PM, at the very least get on the waiting list for when he does make a small batch, you won't be disappointed
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Still doing them in small batches when I can. Should have a couple and some Warriors with me at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot this weekend - about a half hour south of Louisville, KY.