Khukuri Fascination

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Khukuri Fascination

Post by iwolf81 »

When the Khukuri first came out, I thought it was an interesting design but I really wasn't overwhelmed by it. However, when it was discounted to $75, my Spydie addiction kicked in and I couldn't pass it up. :D

It took me a little while to get used to the Khukuri, particularly unlocking it, but I've now come to fully appreciate its qualities: G10 scales, VG10 FFG blade, Walker liner lock, open construction, smooth-as-silk action, all in a small package.

It's this last quality, its small size, that really impresses me. Closed, it's about the size of the Delica, but opened, it's more like the Para. The combination of its small size and Para-like functionality has made the Khukuri my new favorite EDC!

I'm not exactly sure how Ed Schempp designed the "Incredible Shrinking Para", but I'm grateful that he did. :)

I've included a few pictures below comparing the Khukuri to my D2 Para.

Regards,
Ira

D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm a big Khukuri fan too :) Love the lines and it makes for a very comfy carry with still 3.5" of blade.

The blade angle is more severe than you would think too. It's like a hawkbill with a belly.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

i got one in a trade about a week ago and can understand why it didnt seem to do too well (heck i didnt even buy one). the first 2 hours i knew i liked it but just kept looking at it thinking "huh?". it is by far one of the most original designs ive ever seen. in true spyder fashion it has to be held to be understood but that understanding is like finding nirvana! i used it in the kitchen this morning to cut potatoes, onions, carrots, and bread. it just falls naturally into the hand and feels good in every grip. an awesome knife all around and the perfect size to boot. my only gripe is the tough unlocking. btw anyone else notice the two different sized washers? makes sense with the liner lock i guess. also they appear to be white teflon washers instead of the phosphor bronze that are typically used these days.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Wow, those pics really give it some perspective! Didn't realize how close in size it is to the Para.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I love the Khukuri. I purchased it as a Christmas present for myself last year and really only expected to carry it for a few weeks before carrying something else. Ended up falling in love with the design and used it for my EDC for almost 6 months.

Best part was getting to meet Mr. Schempp at BLADE 09, showing him the Khukuri I had in my pocket and listening to him explain the whys/hows of the design. It's one of the most natural designs I've used.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I paid almost double that but I love mine just as much! I'd say it was worth the full price, Im sure some will argue. But yet $75 was a great price for that sweet blade! Enjoy her
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Ed (Schempp)'s knives are all outstanding so it became an ordinary thing to hear people praise about them ;) My very favorite still remains the old (full size) Persian though...
Nice pics, BTW.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Chopping Broccoli

Just ordered a Khukuri

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Couldn't resist the $75 price tag at Poor Fish. Out of all my Spyderco knives, the Captain is one of my favorites to handle and show friends because of its interesting blade shape. Based on the pictures I have seen of the Khukuri, the blade shape looks to be another interesting looker and user. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Quick question, would the Barong make a nice match to the Khukuri. I think they are from the same designer, handle, and blade materials. Anyone have a comparision picture of these two blades?

-Eric
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I just noticed how horribly misspelled the name of the C125 is on the Spyderco box label, Khukuri is spelled "Kuhkri".

Like chuck buck, I couldn't get my head around this design until I had one in my hand. Better than the Barong for the large hand and a great all around design. At this point I think the Persian is the only Ed Schempp collaboration that I don't own. Guess I'll have to get one to complete the set. (and at least one more "Kuhkri")
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I've definitely become an Ed Schempp fan after getting the Khukuri and watching him in Nutnfancy's SHOT Show video. :D

I am kicking myself for not getting the Barong when it was $85 at poor_fish :( , thus I went ahead and ordered the Rock Salt while it was still available for $108 at Cutlery Shoppe. :)

I'm trying to decide whether to next get the Mini Persian at ~$105, or the Barong at ~$140; however, I've already blown my knife budget...

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

spoonrobot wrote:I love the Khukuri.
:D

2cha

Post by 2cha »

Thanks for the great comparison folders, sold it to me. Picked up kukri. Nutnfancy's SHOT video interview with Schempp got me thinking--so I was sniffing around for a persian, but, again, the comparison photos really pushed the button for me.
poor_fish is now only showing 1 in stock.
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

never really thought of the size like that. Thanks for the pictures
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Thanks for posting those pictures. I am now more excited for the arrival of my new Khukuri!

-Eric
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I got one and loved it so much, I got another one as back up. This is the knife that cured me from my liner lock hate. What a big cutter in a small feeling package.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I got my pair of Khukuris today. When the knife came out, I saw how odd it looked and said that I'd never be interested in this knife. When the price came down considerably, I thought I'd give it a shot after reading how functional this knife can really be. After cutting a few things, I was sold. You normally would have to angle a knife downward to cut whereas with the Khukuri it's not necessary due to the angled blade. It looks big when opened but compact when folded. I'm really happy with this knife and the build quality is top notch. I'm just not a big fan of foliage green G-10 so I may have a set of black G-10 handles made for it.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

With a little jimping, it became my go to EDC. Its an awesome knife, just takes a little bit to get warmed up to.

iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

mark greenman wrote:With a little jimping, it became my go to EDC. Its an awesome knife, just takes a little bit to get warmed up to.
Very cool jimping! Did you do it yourself or send it away somewhere? I'd like to get it done for my Meerkat.

Ira
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just cant get into green............

I know its just me..........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

MCM wrote:Just cant get into green............

I know its just me..........
Same here. Instead of getting custom handles made, I'm going to remove the handles and dye them black using the RIT dye product. There is a long thread about dyeing G-10 and FRN with excellent results. No problem with it wearing well. Saw a picture of a green G-10 Dragonfly that had the handles removed and dyed. It looked awesome! I'm going to do the same with the Khukuri. Now I'm tempted to buy some FFG Delicas and Enduras and dye the G-10 handles black. The green color is what prevented me from buying them.