A challenge for Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RJNC

A challenge for Spyderco...

Post by RJNC »

O.k., so you guys came up with a salt proof steel, how about a scratch proof stainless steel handle? I like SS handles, and they look so good when you first get them, but they scratch up so easily.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RJNC wrote:O.k., so you guys came up with a salt proof steel, how about a scratch proof stainless steel handle? I like SS handles, and they look so good when you first get them, but they scratch up so easily.
Spyderco pretty much did. The etched ones hide scratches about as well as any material can. Apparently not enough people understood that, or cared.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Yeah, I like the smooth SS though.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I've kept a stainless steel flashlight (Fenix LD01 SS) on my keychain for the best part of a year and the only marks on it are dings from dropping it on concrete. I look at a Spyderco with plain stainless handles and it scratches. I don't know what steel is used in the handles, but it's a soft one.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

This is why I prefer Titanium. Doesn't scratch quite as easily (at least it doesn't get those annoying fine scratches that show up in the sun), and the scratches that it does get seem to give it character instead of make it look like crap.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RJNC wrote:O.k., so you guys came up with a salt proof steel, how about a scratch proof stainless steel handle? I like SS handles, and they look so good when you first get them, but they scratch up so easily.
RJNC wrote:Yeah, I like the smooth SS though.
That shouldn't be a problem. Just make handles from high carbon SS like ZDP and this will be it, or use any SS + hard coating similar to coatings use on cutting tools and no scratches or at least not that much. How many people would agree to pay for this knife is different question
npueppke wrote:This is why I prefer Titanium. Doesn't scratch quite as easily (at least it doesn't get those annoying fine scratches that show up in the sun), and the scratches that it does get seem to give it character instead of make it look like crap.
Titanium is really softer than steel, coating this is what makes surface hard and scratch resistant. IIRC hard coat anodizing can reach hardness over 60 HRc.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

npueppke wrote:This is why I prefer Titanium. Doesn't scratch quite as easily (at least it doesn't get those annoying fine scratches that show up in the sun), and the scratches that it does get seem to give it character instead of make it look like crap.
In my experience Titanium scratches just not as easy as some softer metals. Compared to Tungsten (jewelry at least) it can't hold a candle to it.

The problem is that scratch resistant metals tend to also rust (tks Carbon!). I know high Tungsten steels also weigh a ton.

The best solution for metals is etching as Paul said or similar texture. The second better solution is slabs of something else on top of them (G10, Micarta, etc).
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I wonder if the process or materials needed to render such things scratchproof would increase the price point to an undesirable level.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

carrot

Post by carrot »

The black coating that Spyderco uses on their blades might work... it is fairly easy to scuff but scratching through it is hard.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Aluminum could be anodized or hard anodized. I'd say powder coating but the powder normally goes on thicker and then precise fitment might be an issue.

I'd love to see a checkered pattern on steel handles similar to flashlight tubes. Perhaps even the wire grinder swirl marks done for aesthetic purposes? Scratches aren't a big deal if the steel is already swirled to **** intentionally.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

i second blerv and the hard anodizing. My father has a Surefire light, and although he takes good care of it, it looks just as clean as when he got it over a year ago. Don't get me wrong, he didn't paper it, its just never been abused and looks perfect.

spyderco could try this with their handles. It also looks great and can be any color you want.
Proud owner of a meadowlark g10!! :spyder:

slice22358 wrote:You and your ball lock obsession:D
:rolleyes: Guilty :p
GronK

Post by GronK »

The benefit of the softer stainless is that it's easy to re-surface. Fifteen minutes with a pad and it's back like new.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The problem with steel is that you can't anodize it, lol. You would have to find some kind of a coating, but it would have to be transparent/translucent. Or use a high hardness steel, I'm sure there are grades out there which would work-what about the steel used in watch bracelets?
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

Maybe a stonewash finish would be an idea.

I have two crk sebenza users and the blades look new.There are scratches and scuffs on the blades.
But they don't show up.
Ok not as shiny as polished steel ;) .
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Jijoel wrote:Maybe a stonewash finish would be an idea.

I have two crk sebenza users and the blades look new.There are scratches and scuffs on the blades.
But they don't show up.
Ok not as shiny as polished steel ;) .
I think this could look very nice.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

The problem with a stonewashed finish, is to me, that I like the smooth finish of regular SS.
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Making the handles out of a hardened stainless toolsteel is no option, I think. It will cost too much.

I think a surface hardening like Parkerizing is the best option, possible on austenitic stainless steel. I don't know if people will pay for it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

npueppke wrote:The problem with steel is that you can't anodize it, lol. You would have to find some kind of a coating, but it would have to be transparent/translucent. Or use a high hardness steel, I'm sure there are grades out there which would work-what about the steel used in watch bracelets?
They could use galvanized steel instead.

Ultimately I think a better idea is a textured surface but as we have seen people don't dig the etching. Scratches with this are a non-issue. High hardness steels are great but often come with lower corrosion tolerances (and sometimes weight).

Good question on the watch bracelets, never thought of that! I still think there is some merit to Tungsten but the milling/working temps are very dang high. I like the rings in Tungsten but they are quite hefty compared to titanium. As mentioned with harder stainless steels I don't know if the price makes sense.

Diminishing returns for cost to benefit I guess. A few little scratches never killed anyone and in the end I guess it's a tool.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Blerv wrote:They could use galvanized steel instead.

Ultimately I think a better idea is a textured surface but as we have seen people don't dig the etching. Scratches with this are a non-issue. High hardness steels are great but often come with lower corrosion tolerances (and sometimes weight).

Good question on the watch bracelets, never thought of that! I still think there is some merit to Tungsten but the milling/working temps are very dang high. I like the rings in Tungsten but they are quite hefty compared to titanium. As mentioned with harder stainless steels I don't know if the price makes sense.

Diminishing returns for cost to benefit I guess. A few little scratches never killed anyone and in the end I guess it's a tool.
I don't know what watch bands are made out of, but people don't seem to complain about them. Could also be that they just don't come in contact with stuff that scratches them? I don't know.

I'm not really a fan of etched surfaces either, but what about something like knurling? Very fine knurling to resemble G10?

I don't know what the relative costs are but Spyderco uses some other high end handle materials, and I think that if the demand is there they would develop a process to incorporate high tungsten steel or some other high hardness type steel.