Who'd like a Native with a bigger blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Who'd like a Native with a bigger blade?

Post by catamount »

I've been carrying my Native 4 the last few days. I really like the design, but I want a version with a longer blade.

Sal had this to say on bladeforums:
Sal Glesser wrote:We're in the final touches of refining the engineering on the lock for the new Golden made Native 4. Once the lock geometry is finished, a 4" version would not be difficult.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost7594632

Anywhere in the 3.5-4" range works for me. FFG, please (without the swedge). My scale preference is G-10 or grippy CF. CPM M4 would make it a dream come true.

Here's a pic of the Native Chief prototype to whet your appetites:

Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

O god....

:D
Come Join Us Click Here
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

I have a native 3 and love it . I think it is awsome the way it is. FRN is a good handel material light wieght and grippy. But i am sure there are lots of peeps whom would like bigger blades.

Sixheads
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If they did it with a full flat grind like the Forum Native, I'd be interested. Otherwise, not so much. Only steel that I'd cheerfully pay more for than S30V would be Odin's Eye Damasteel, otherwise I'd almost prefer they went in the other direction and used 154CM.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I might be interested in a larger Native 4, but only if they smoothed that spot behind the choil.
JD Spydo

A Special blade with an ordinary appearance

Post by JD Spydo »

Catamount I'm glad you posed that question for all of us to ponder. Because I have a little testimony concerning the Native. I had been aware of the model ever since I got my first Spyder back in 1995. I had always taken that model for granted and pretty much regarded it as sort of a "Plain Jane" blade and nothing special.

About 18 months ago I had to change jobs and the job I got was a very demanding job which had a lot of really mean cutting jobs associated with it. I had owned a Native model that I got in a trade back in 2004 and it had set in my big footlocker all that time. I got out my SE,440V Golden Co USA made Native and decided that knife was OK to sacrifice and to tell you the truth I didn't think it would last very long.

Was I ever pleasantly surprise :) That knife performed that job well and it also held up through some very brutal punishment and I haven't had anything go wrong with it putting it through ****. The Golden CO Native immediately became a knife I really loved. I really love the pic of that Native Chief and I truly hope that Spyderco will make a SE and PE Native model in a super steel like S90V. I am very much a Native fan and I am looking very forward to a NEW USA made Native and I am really looking forward to the Native Chief.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I would love to see a bigger Native. When I worked at a store that sold Spydies I tried it out, and it just didn't fit my hand very well. I think a bigger version would be perfect since I always liked the blade and wanted one.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Hmm...FFG, PE, G10, multi-position wire lo-pro clip, Compression lock??, S30v or 154cm steel...maybe curve the heel end of the grip around more like on the Superhawk or the Hossom blades....
Yeah I'd buy one!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

There already a Spydie which looks somewhat like that large Native in the pic above - the Renegade. But if they do go ahead with it, I'd pick one up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I would buy one if it is not a lockback. I would prefer FFG but hollow ground is OK, too.
I'll take VG-10, S30V, S90V, whatever, it must be the New Year that makes me so accommodating today.
jenko

Post by jenko »

My native 3 is one of my favourite knives and I like the idea of an extended version pictured.

Ideally though I'd like to see the native 4 produced in H1 in a future run, along with the Chief, that would be a winner ;)
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Like the pic... it's got that full length banana curve like the original Centofante....
(photo courtesy of 'olorin15')

(the thing would probably ride heavy in your pocket though!)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I'm pretty excited about the regular size Native 4 USA made version. I would certainly give the larger one a try if it was made available. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix Guy 2

Sure !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Spyderco seems to be going in a direction of a high zoot then FRN , either would be fine with me , steel would not be a issue . Regards MG2
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'd be interested so long as it was a scaled up N4. I like the 4 way clip and the FFG. I could be just fine with G-10 or even FRN as a handle material.

Blade steel wouldn't be too important with me on this one and I'd be fine with 154CM.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I will be interested on FFG Native, please no swedge and blade under 4", black G10 would be great. S30V or 154CM is good. Lockback, Ball-lock, Compression lock would be great. No problem with liner lock as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Native doesn't fit my hand well either, but I like the design. I'd love to check out a bigger Native.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Would sure enjoy having one of those in M2, CPM-M4, VG-10, VG-1. CPM-D2, CPM-154, SKD-11, SG-2, or AEB-L (mostly the first two and the last one :D ), but could even bite if it's other steels.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

It looks very intriguing, but just not quite for me. I prefer the straight spine of the Military for a 4" blade.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
v8r

Post by v8r »

Since the Native 2 is my favorite Spyderco knife of all time .....That would be a yes.I always wished they made a version with a longer blade.I am probably the strange one here by saying I happen to like a swedge grind.I think it gives the knife a little attitude.I hope they build the Chief one day because it would be the knife that ended the perfect EDC knife search......for me anyway.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p