9-year-old's first whittling - with a Ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I finally gave my granddaughter her Ladybug for her 10th birthday, and she was quite happy. I gave her some advice for safety again and in her pocket it went. I also made her a big lanyard to attach it to her belt loop if she needs it. It's been a couple of weeks... I wonder if she still has it. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

Wish her happy birthday from us all.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, and hope she's enjoying her Spyderco Ladybug!!!

Thank you for keeping us updated!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

This has been one of the best threads I have ever read. Very hart warming and something truly great. Thanks for sharing and happy birthday.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Great thread Jazz! My wife has been interested in whittling for some time. I will definitely show her your whistle tutorial. :)
whkento

Great stuff

Post by whkento »

I'm excited about my kids' first knives, but have a few years to go... Thanks for adding to my anticipation. I'd love to try whittling a whistle, but can't see the pics. Are they still up?

Thanks,

Kento
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks y'all for checking the thread out. It's great sharing a passion (knives) with people and sharing that with others who accually care. Jade is coming over for Thanksgiving, so I'm sure she'll want to carve something. I'll have to come up with a different idea.

whkento - The pics are still there. I don't know why you can't see them. Maybe someone who knows about computers will chime in. Good luck.

ninemm - Let us know how that turns out.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Jazz wrote:Thanks y'all for checking the thread out. It's great sharing a passion (knives) with people and sharing that with others who accually care. Jade is coming over for Thanksgiving, so I'm sure she'll want to carve something. I'll have to come up with a different idea.
Perhaps she'll want to carve the turkey with her Spyderco Ladybug. :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
whkento

Post by whkento »

Thanks, Jazz. I'll try to look at 'em on my PC instead of this IPad...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, we went camping this weekend and my Granddaughter had her Ladybug on her lanyard around her neck. It was dull, so she must be using it. :) I brought along some sharpening equiptment (that's the first thing she asked) and made it shave hair. She was always whittling something. I noticed she always closed it before walkng with it or doing something, so I told her I was impressed. She also opened it one handed only. :cool:

I asked her if she wanted to try my bigger knife (Salt 1), and she said, "no, I like my little knife". She also said that other kids were amazed she had a pocketknife (obviously, it doesn't go to school with her, though).

Just had to share the update. My granddaughter's cool. Soon it'll be the grandson, too.

- best wishes, Jazz.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Hey, Jazz, I still have my first item I whittled, It was a dog carved out of soap. I believe the soap we used was ivory, it made a FANTASTIC first medium with which to learn whittling. I HIGHLY suggest anyone trying to teach this to a youngster pick up a six pack of bar soap, the squarer the better, and teach them that way. It is far easier to cut than even the softest white pine, and you can still carve very interesting shapes into it. You might want to give that a try with your grand daughter! Take care -DC
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Good idea - thanks, DC. She wants to do a ball in a cage.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder how long it will take for us to get the blindfolded tomato slicing. =P
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jazz,

Life does offer it's pleasant times. Thanx for sharing.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Donut - I did tell her to watch it. I hope she doesn't try it yet!

Sal - Yes it does, and thanks for reading. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.