Feed the monster

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Feed the Monster: which new knife?

Stretch FRN VG10 PE
42%
Manix 2 G10 154CM PE
18%
Other Stretch variation
11%
Other Manix Variation
11%
Other model
18%

Total votes: 62

Crocodilo

Feed the monster

Post by Crocodilo »

I "need" to get another Spydie.

Several others call my eye, but this time the fight's on between the FRN VG10 Stretch and the Manix 2. Both PE, this time. (or not)

+ Stretch: FFG, thin body.

+ Manix: G10, lock.

As you can see from my sig line, I'm a big fan of G10 FFG knives, and in my book Millies and Paras are at the very top.

Foreseen usage is joining the EDC rotation, general duty. Carry method is 501's RFP.

So, besides getting both, which would you think may be better suited for me?
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Crocodilo, I read recently a post by Sal saying something about 60 new models under development and 2 engineers to research, design, develop, test and tool-up for.

Your dream is his nighmare :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd say the manix 2, but I've found with me it doesn't fit my large (XXL gloves are tight) hands as well as the stretch versions. It depends on you and your feel and fit because they are both very high performing knives. The Manix 2 should have the advantage in extreme hard use over the long run, but for regular EDC uses they are both great.

It's really a no lose choice IMO. Good luck.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I agree with Joe except I also have XXXL hands and find the Manix 2 fits quite nicely. I do have the S90V/CF/FFG model which I prefer. I'm like you and (so far) Sal hasn't made (or even discussed :( ) my dream knife: FFG 3"ish/G10/BBL/deep wire clip.

I wanted the Bradley to be this knife (but we now know it clearly isn't). Maybe some day... I hope so. Right now, the knife I have that comes closest is my UKPKDP. For my EDC I'd choose that over either of the two you listed.

Ken
玉鋼
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The manix 2 is an amazing knife for hard use. I have both the 154cm and S90V versions and hopefully i'll be able to get the foliage green CTS-XHP sprint too when it comes out. If you need your manix fix now get the 154cm i geuss. I don't have the FRN stretch but i have the CF one and the blade profile is awesome for alot of task. It's one of my favorite steak knives. I wish Spyderco would make a fixed blade with the same profile as the stretch. I have hand issues some times with the stretch though. My hands are in the large area though. For EDC though i have the S90V Manix Right Front and the Stretch Left Front.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The Stretch gets carried slightly more often by me. It is a better EDC blade-it carries better, has a full flat grind, is lighter, better blade shape, etc. But both are very nice knives.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

A tough choice. I have both (Stretch in SE and Manix 2 in CE) and they are both excellent knifes. The Stretch gets more usage for my because it is much lighter and easier on the pockets. I have to say that I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a Stretch, it solves the main problem I have with the Delica and Endura (i.e. the sabre grind). It is ok in my hands, but not with gloves.

The Manix 2 is a great knife and it is incredibly strong with a brilliant locking mechanism. It is pretty sharp but, I hate to say it, the steel seems to be prone to a little chipping (which is resolved with the sharpmaker).

If it is EDC you seek, then I would go for the Stretch - easier wear, lighter, FFG and good size. The Manix is just too heavy (but maybe in the winter when I start wearing jeans again I will carry it more - it just doesn't work with shorts!)
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
Billy

Post by Billy »

I have the Stretch but not the Manix 2, so I voted Stretch. It is really one of those knives that I could be very, very happy with as my one and only knife. It is perfect for EDC - size, weight, blade profile and grind, etc. Just perfect.

But with that said, the Manix 2 should be a great knife if your EDC tasks might be a bit on the rougher side. I recently picked up three Emersons and I like 154CM steel and for that reason coupled with the fact that I do not have any CBBL knives I am seriously eyeing the Manix 2 as well.

I think you would be very happy with either...the ARE Spydercos after all! :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

I just bought the Stretch FRN with ZDP blade and waiting for its arrival. I'm also waiting the arrival of my also newly purchased UKPKDP. I've been on the road this past week working and get home later today.

I also have waiting when I arrive the Caly3 in G10. I plan on rotating these three knives for my daily carry.

My numbered first Benchmade mini-barrage may go up on eBay to help compensate for my recent Spyderco spending binge. :spyder:

Might I add that a Poliwog will be under the Xmas tree too. :p

Plus the wife is getting the pink Native and my two boys Persistences.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Manix is a **** good knife and cuts well in spite of its relatively thick blade. Downsides for me are the jimped liners and the finger positioning point in the grip area. Jimping give the knife a cheap and cheezy look and, while it might make some small bit of sense on a model with a block shaped handle, its just "tacti-cool" on the Manix's structured handle. Finger separator, while not unattractive, fails by creating a hot spot when cutting.

Stretch II, on the other hand, combines the best ergonomics of any current Spyderco with "no frills" functional elegance. My only gripe is the Boye dent, but while as unsightly as ever, unlike the Persian's, the Stretch's does not make closing the knife difficult. VG-10 version is an excellent choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

get a chokwe! it's a heck of a slicer, and great for any EDC task... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

clovisc wrote:get a chokwe! it's a heck of a slicer, and great for any EDC task... :D
Thats one knife I fell in love with the minute I saw the first photo!
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Manix 2, no question. USA made, almost unbelievable level of value for the $. S90V version is great if you can score one, otherwise 154CM version will do all you want and ask for more, plus the full solid liners lend a nice heft to it that the S90V version lacks due to that models swiss-cheesed liners.

Stretch 2 FRN is ok. Always found VG-10 underwhelming personally. (In my usage experience, the 154CM on the Manix 2 far outshines VG-10 in terms of edge holding.) Full liners make it nicely built, but to me the FRN feels just like every other FRN-handled knife in the Spyderco line-up. Ergos are good enough I suppose, but the experience in hand is still, obviously and unavoidably down market.
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

Friends, a Manix 2 SE 154CM has been chosen, not only for price and value, not only for the opinions and advices posted here (thanks everyone!), but also because this folder will be paired with a heavy duty watch and flashlight (all my collection is arranged in sets).
OTOH, if this were to be my only knife, I'd go with the Stretch...
I'll be sure to post some pics once it gets here!