2010 Catalog Pdf is up!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

araneae wrote:I read that the FRN UKPK will be slightly thinner blade stock than the G-10 version. Hopefully that will somewhat compensate for the hollow grinds reduced slicing ability. I was just hoping for another super light pocket lightsaber in the Caly Jr vein.
That's a good point.

However not to split hairs (knife pun). Hollow grinds If done right FAR outperform some FFGs. At least if you are comparing factory vs factory grinds (Adventura, Cento 3/4, etc) and specific tasks like shallow cutting.

Krein has done some ungodly high hollows (like a native Gunmike owns) that are crazy cutters. There is just a ton less material from mid spine to the edge over FFG.

As I said. This is probably redundant as you likely believe the same thing. I just wanted to get the thought out because it reminded me. Thanks.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Don't want to derail this thread too much down the path to a "flat ground vs hollow ground" arguement, but some of the posts about performance in thin cuts and increased tip strength are spot on. If the blade stock is thinner it could make for a wickedly sharp knife, especially if Gin-1 performes like a razor steel, but I think that for EDC use a flat grind is far superior (especially for the things I normally find myself cutting).

In any case I'll still buy one to check it out, probably the maroon one.

Catamount posted on bladeforums that the Carpenter Manix 2 will have an MSRP of $189.95, sounds like a decent price to me.
razorback1595

Post by razorback1595 »

That manix 2 with the carpenter steel is a must have for me :D
Pim

:D:spyder:
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

To echo other commenters, we got a lot of this info before the catalog came out, and think about how much was in the 2009 supplement.

Also, the last catalog was set before the financial system collapse, so the lineup may be pared back slightly and R&D projects may be strung out for 2010.

The big news in the catalog for me was that all the H-1 models are still there. Even though they weren't on Kristi's list, the low low prices on many H-1 models convinced me that many were being discontinued. There must have been a major marketing shift where Hitachi dropped the steel price and Spyderco followed suit in figuring cost based on a higher sales volume in a joint effort to increase the quantity of steel used. The Warrior is an exception because it is a one time run of thicker stock.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

mussolini wrote:where is the Captain?

Discontinued?
It's in this thread
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40895
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
phaust

Post by phaust »

mussolini wrote:where is the Captain?

Discontinued?
Yep. There's a new Jason Breeden design coming out to replace it.

Anyone else catch the misuse of the word "anthropomorphic" in the description of the Cat? It means giving human qualities to non-humans (animals or inanimate things), not animal qualities to inanimate things ;)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

The new catalog's great. Plenty of the new models in the '10 catalog have been released early, therefore there might not be as much for some people to look forward too.
I'm actually kinda relieved that it's not packed full must have models for me, as next year I will be able to concentrate on grail's and other items I haven't been able to get my hands on.
Plus Sal always manages to drop a couple of bombshells during the year to keep us all on our toes...

jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

I saw that the Delica and Endura zdp are still listed as a flat saber grind. I thought these were going to FFG.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

after looking through the catalog all the way i noticed the, what i guess is the back cover, with the orange knives in place of carrots. made me chuckle a bit.

i'm waiting for prices on the FRN ukpks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

BuffaloBill wrote:after looking through the catalog all the way i noticed the, what i guess is the back cover, with the orange knives in place of carrots. made me chuckle a bit.

i'm waiting for prices on the FRN ukpks.
My older son (who's home for the holidays) pointed that out. I thought it was great!
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

page 23 P'kal looks great! might try one out!
Andy
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Wow, this will be the first year that I am not interested in anything really.

I'm still waiting for the Paramilitary 2. ;)

I may be slightly interested in the Tim Zowada if the price is right.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I can't open it.
~Jeff
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Spidernoir wrote:AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I can't open it.
Adobe reader sucks.
Download Fox-It reader.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

David Lowry wrote:Wow, this will be the first year that I am not interested in anything really.

I'm still waiting for the Paramilitary 2. ;)

I may be slightly interested in the Tim Zowada if the price is right.
Email Tom (spydercovt), he's got a decent price on it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
RyanA

Post by RyanA »

The Tim Zowada knife does look cool.
siamo il rumore
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Not that this is pertinent to the thread but I just bought a Benchmade Griptilian and it has a hollow ground blade and I can't say enough good about it. This knife just rocks. I have used it on several different cutting projects and it performs very well. So what exactly is the problem that some of you see with the hollow ground blade?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Bluntrauma wrote:Not that this is pertinent to the thread but I just bought a Benchmade Griptilian and it has a hollow ground blade and I can't say enough good about it. This knife just rocks. I have used it on several different cutting projects and it performs very well. So what exactly is the problem that some of you see with the hollow ground blade?
There are two types of cutting where I find a hollow grind to not perform well...

1. Cutting fruit, especially apples. Hollow grinds tend to break the apples and bruise them instead of cutting cleanly.

2. Cutting cardboard. Hollow grinds work ok, but they tend to get stuck, especially if it is thick blade stock. It also seems to be hard to cut cardboard in a straight line with a hollow grind, they like to twist in my hand.

They happen to be scenarios that I encounter quite frequently with my EDC blade.

Otherwise, nothing. A hollow ground blade will open an envelope just as easily as a flat ground knife.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Good points - but FFG doesn't work for fruit like apples if the blade is too thick, either. I tried using the Mule for that and it didn't work very well. Had the same issue using it for hard cheeses. It didn't do all that well as a kitchen knife (biggest reason, though, was blade length - but YMMV).
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Nice bunch of "carrots" on the back cover! Very creative.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]