Convince me to buy a Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Convince me to buy a Military

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I have some Christmas money that I got already from my parents. I was thinking of getting a bus pass with it, but my wife tells me I should buy something for myself. I've really wanted an orange Military for a while now and I was thinking of buying one. I really love my Para-Military, but I've never even seen a Military in real life. It looks huge in youtube vids. So, die hard Military fans, why should I buy one?? Convince me! :)
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Size is the only reason I got rid of the few I had. If you have a use for it or don't mind the size it's a great knife.

Has been a few years since I have been buying spydies and now I mainly look at the smaller ones.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I have a few and the Millie has recently found its way into my EDC. This is especially so on the weekends and summer holidays when I go on picnics with the family. Cutting sandwiches, fruits etc is much easier and more enjoyable with a slightly longer blade.

Get one you won't regret it. As AJ says if the size doesn't bother you then it is a great all purpose knife.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Well when I bought my Para-Military I thought it was huge, but now it feels small, I guess it shrunk in my mind. I will be getting an orange one if I do, I think the orange makes it look more friendly.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I never really warmed up to the Military. The size is not the issue--I just didn't like it and I owned two of them. It did not feel comfortable in my hand.

I know that I am swimming against the tide on the Military, but a popular knife to the majority of people is not necessarily best for all.

Who knows? It might be the one for you!
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

If it is a Christmas Gift so to speak from your Parents by way of money, buy something with a little more Jazz. Something with CF.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

My GF bought me an Orange Millie earlier this year. It is a great knife and the handle gives you a lot of options for different grips. It just depends on what you plan on cutting with it. For heavy materials I would look at a SE, if its just around the house/ food choirs then the PE would work.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
noddy

Post by noddy »

If you need convincing still, it possibly isn't for you. Mind you I bought and sold three before I finally clicked :lol:

Now I got two and am thinking about a third :) :D :D
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I think it's really lovely, but since you have the paramilitary, perhaps you'd prefer something completely different? The excellent Chokwe for example.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

My Military (SE) has been an absolutely fantastic knife. I do a lot of emergency service work dealing with storms, floods and other natural disasters. I used a number of different knives before I settled on the Military a bit over 2 years. I frequently abuse it by cutting vines/wisteria, 16-20mm natural fibre rope (sisal mainly), gyprock. I use it to cut off dirt and bark from trees so I can use a chainsaw on them (chainsaws don't like lots of dirt!). It gets a lot of use and is more than a box cutter!

My first Millie was lost at sea, however. I was out in a flooded river performing a rescue of another boat. The tow line had to be cut and a crew member had an el cheapo and was desperately trying to cut away, with absolutely no success, so out came the Millie and the rope was gone with nothing more than a touch - the tow rope was 13mm braided kernmantel type rope. Sadly, during the same night our boat had a problem that end up with use ditching it before we went out the heads, so the Millie was lost. I didn't hesitate in buying another one, in fact, it was the first thing I did when I got home.

If you don't mind the blade length (and, personally, I wouldn't mind it being a little bigger) then absolutely get one. It will not let you down. If, however, you want more of a dress knife that won't see a lot of use, then get something else.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have had two Para's that I ended up trading off for other models. Initially I thought the Para's handle was contoured to be too small for my hand. I have since learned to grip that model by always using the choil. The Military has enough room in the handle that it can easily (even with gloves on) be gripped without using the choil. The Military gives the option to choke up on the choil as well.

The Military has been part of my EDC for over two years. I keep trying other models but nothing bumps the Military out of my pocket for more than a day or so. As winter rolls on, I am considering carrying two Pacific Salts (one PE and one SE), but I have not made up my mind yet.

Once I get my Caly 3 ZDP back from a pass around that is organized through another, I will be giving it another go! Until then the Military remains.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am waiting on my 1st. There are so many folks here that swear by them, I felt that I owed it to myself to try one out. I found a 2nd for an alright price on the bay and jumped. There goes my frn Stretch fund again. Hopefully I like it as much as many others here do.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Aimless

Post by Aimless »

I received one as a present this year. With the g-10 handles it's really not a big deal to carry in work/hiking pants. It's light and thin and no big deal. I don't like liner locks but it's a good one.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the way i see it, spyderco's military is the benchmark in a 4" folder. unless you live somewhere especially wet, or with knife law restrictions, getting one is one of the best choices you can make. i've owned and carried quite a few spydies... and it is hard to think of a mili not being a part of my EDC.

if you like spyderco, you will LOVE this knife.

the chokwe is also an awesome alternative. around the same price, but with titanium... and a better slicer. also, interesting geometry and design. and in spite of the shape, similarly comfortable to the military.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Billy

Post by Billy »

I don't think you can go wrong with a Military. I bought my first (FG D2) a couple of years ago and at first really did not think I would be carrying it much due to it's "huge" size. But, like many others here, I soon experienced the shrinkage phenomenon. I learned how easily it carried and how convenient and versatile that 4" FFG blade really is. The handle is easily one of the best in knifedom and offers lot of grips, grippy G-10 and easy-to-maintain open back design. The liner lock is one of the best out there as well. I currently have an orange S30V, CF BG-42, FG D2 and a black on black S30V. One of them is almost always in either my RFP or RBP. They are fantastic knives that carry much smaller than they are but still cut beyond their size.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I have some Christmas money that I got already from my parents. I was thinking of getting a bus pass with it, but my wife tells me I should buy something for myself. I've really wanted an orange Military for a while now and I was thinking of buying one. I really love my Para-Military, but I've never even seen a Military in real life. It looks huge in youtube vids. So, die hard Military fans, why should I buy one?? Convince me! :)
YES GET THE ORANGE MILITARY NOW!!!

I like to shop here. Jay probably has the best knife dealership in the country.
http://warriorsandwonders.com/
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

If you'd prefer something a little more upscale than the Orange Military, the M-4 G-10/TiRIL Military is available for pre-order here. http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercomilit ... usive.aspx

Or you could wait for the regular TiRIL Military to hit the streets. I guess either of those would be a ways down the road, but it never hurts to save up for the things you really want.

Oh, and you should get one because it has the best handle and blade shape of any folding knife ever made. It's not large either, most knives are just puny.

You'll understand after a week or two of carry.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

FIMS wrote:If it is a Christmas Gift so to speak from your Parents by way of money, buy something with a little more Jazz. Something with CF.
I already had a Terzuola Slipit, one of the reasons I sold it was the CF handle, not a fan sorry.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Joshua J. wrote:YES GET THE ORANGE MILITARY NOW!!!

I like to shop here. Jay probably has the best knife dealership in the country.
http://warriorsandwonders.com/
Hehehe... I check Jay's site every day almost, I've bought a ton of knives off him. That''s what got me thinking about the Orange Millie. I've wanted one for a long time, but I'm not up to spending almost $200 for one, finally he has it cheap enough that I can consider it. I'm an idiot and forgot about Jay's boxing week specials, so I didn't save anything up for it.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Jay has Boxing Week specials?! I am all over that like white on rice!

As to the original issue, I am on my sixth Millie and as an overall useful knife, I would be hard pressed to suggest anything different. If you think that it is too large, wait a week and you will experience the famous 'shrinking Military'. ;)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser