Rock salt or woodlander

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sixheads

Rock salt or woodlander

Post by sixheads »

Hi guys and gals ,

I want a fixed blade big knife for camping, hiking , Killing zombies in an end of the world scenario etc etc...

I can get a Rock salt for about 30 dollars more than a wood lander and was wondering is it worth it. I dont care though if i had to spend the extra 30 bones it would not be a problem if it was the better knife.

I have been searching the posts and found some interesting stuff. What i am wondering is stuff like

Is the blade thickness that big of a deal if i had to chop in survival situation for fire wood ETC.

is the corrosion reistance that big a deal if i wipe it when it gets wet ( i have nevre had a knife even get a little rust on itand i use them in water all the time)

is the wight difference a big deal.

How do they carry ... sloppy or nice and tight on ur hip.

Sharpaning ease...

Any other comments or things i should consider would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sixheads
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I have both. I'm seeing the Woodlander at $96 and the Rock Salt at $107 at Cutlery Shoppe where I got my Rock Salt.

They are both very nice and good buys but the Rock Salt is the one I'd take if I only could have one. It have the same 6" of edge, but is lighter and easier to use for "smaller knife" tasks. Part of the reason the Rock Salt is more versatile is the thinner blade steel: 3mm versus 5mm.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I recently bought the Rock Salt after going through the same dilemma and question. I ended up buying only the Rock Salt and I'm glad I did. I appreciate that it's lighter and has a nice balance and ergonomics. Its probably not quite as good as a Woodlander for basic chopping due to it being lighter, but I think it's an excellent all around camping blade to have (also would be my choice for zombies).
christopher

Post by christopher »

I'm in favor of the Rock Salt also. Weight and balance are better, and it fits my hand better. And then there's the issue of H1 steel. There is no doubt that if I'm given the time, no knife is put away without being wiped down, but we all can imagine circumstances where that's not possible. That tipped the scales in favor of the Rock Salt IMHO.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Thanks for the input any more would be appreciated . I Will keep searching I am leaning toward the Rock Salt the balance and lighter weight make it appealing to me also the shape. I wonder if it is good for chopping at all? Like i am sure you wouldnt want to cut ur yearly fire wood with it but could you hack threw 3 inch branches with out wrecking the blade ?

I have never had a knife of that size before so i really dont know.

Sixheads
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the rock salt, hands down. the H1 is amazing. in this blade configuration, it offers the highest performance out of an H1 knife ever. it's very much a "no fuss" kinda knife... don't have to worry about corrosion, or drying it off. or leaving it in salt water. yes, the blade will get scratched up... but if you want a user, the rock salt is the greatest! :D

it's the best FB i've ever used.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I'm sorry to say it, but my experience is that the Rock Salt is not a good chopper. It takes more than twice as long to chop through wood compared to a more purpose built knife like the Becker 9.
Then again, the Becker 9 out-chops most knives I put it against, so maybe that isn't saying too much.
Anyway, don't expect to go through a 2x4 without some serious aches and pains.
The plus side, is that the Rock Salt has the most comfortable knife handle I've ever used, that alone almost makes it worth the purchase cost (when it was $230), but the knife is rust-proof to boot. I've had mine since release. :D
As a very capable utility knife, I highly recommend it.

If you want a bushwhacker, get the larger Forester (which I have done some serious chopping with) or a Becker 9. Of those two I can't honestly say which is better, they're both pretty good.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I had the same problem, and ended up with the Rock Salt. It's not a great chopper, as others have said (Either needs more weight or more length)... but I have machetes and axes for a reason. Even though it's seen more kitchen use than woods use, I don't regret getting it.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Rock Salt hands down...need to chop 2x4s get an axe.....need to chop a limb (zombie limb)...look no further...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I'll go against the grain here :p and say, if you're interested in both, then get both, but get the Woodlander first. It has been discontinued and will get hard to find soon. You can always get a Rock Salt later.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

In a syrvival situation i think the Rock salt would still be able to hack threw 3 inch limbs to make a fire, or even stat it enough to break it. With the shap of the world at the moment i see anarchy or war comming soon and i want a survival knife that can do it all. I will be travelling light and wont be able to carry an axe to so its a Native 3 serrated edge for my small knife and probably my Caly and then Iether a woodlander or a Rock salt for my big knife and i am leaning toward the rock salt.

Also how do you sharpin these big knives , sharpmaker?

sixheads
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The sharpmaker would do a fine job - i have used it on 20" machetes (for touch up) and it has done fine. It might seem a little light or small for huge blades, but up to woodlander size, it shouldn't be that difficult to manage. Many folks here Like stones for their PE blades. I typically use the sharpmaker but have stones I occasionally use as well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Don't forget that you can get a 4" knife to cut trees down as well. Baton it into the base and bend the tree over as you cut further in.
I've never used the technique, but expect the Rock Salt would excel at it.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the rock salt is totally awesome at baton work. I've used it on some really hard, thick cedar, and it works just great. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I only have the Woodlander out of the two, but its a fantastic knife.