Catcherman in H-1 -- any interest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

H-1 fillet knife>> the time has come

Post by JD Spydo »

dd61999 wrote:full plain edge as well please!
That's funny that you would mention that because I've often wondered why Spyderco never made that knife in plain edge :confused: As many of their customers that are abhorred by anything at all serrated I would think that a variant of plain edge would have sold well.

Now on the fully serrated Catcherman I never seen any other Spyderco knife that had a serration pattern like the fully serrated Catcherman does. The Catcherman model truly fell through the cracks in many ways. I just don't believe that enough hard core users ever realized just how versatile this great model was/is.

With the awesome corrosion resistance of H-1 blade steel I think it would have to be a dream come true for those who fish and work around salt water environments.

H-1 has some trade offs like every blade steel has but the tradeoffs of H-1 are easy to negotiate and compromise. The time has come for a folding H-1 fillet knife. The knife buying public are ready and I know that knife afficionados are too.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BARTGN

Post by BARTGN »

I have used one of these for two years as a bait/fish cleaning knife. I could not think of a more useful durable tool for all around fishing chores. Would like to have one without any serrations.
Naga

Post by Naga »

I'm in, this seems great, didn't even know about this model but I've been thinking they need an H1 fillet knife. This looks flat ground, though, can they do it hollow ground like they prefer?
JD Spydo

H-1 Catcherman in full SE please

Post by JD Spydo »

I currently don't have a digital camera so I wish someone might post a pic of the older fully serrated model. That serration pattern was/is a great cutting utility blade as well as a superb fillet knife. Other than Spyderco's older early 2000s Bread Knife that serration pattern with the longer scallops was not used on anything else to my knowledge. And it's a great serration pattern for all kinds of food use. I say that because if they do indeed consider bringing back the CAtcherman in H-1 I truly hope they will consider a fully serrated model in H-1.

To me the Catcherman has been one of my favorite "multi-purpose" utility knives for quite some time. And it is a superb fishing fillet knife just as they intended for it to be.

But I truly see a need also for a longer version of the Catcherman. And it only makes sense because with H-1 it will be a salt water dream of a fillet knife and it would be nice to have a longer one to tackle big salt water fish.

Being the design is a folder it just makes a really great backpacking, hunting, fishing, survival and all around kitchen and utility blade. I know I'm not alone with that desire either. It's time for a new Spyderco fillet knife.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

h1 flexible folding spyderco fillet knife that can be big enough to handle a 50 pound spring salmon.

Count me in.
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I'm glad to see this come up again. I'll always be in for an H1 Catcherman. Great great knife, and H1 would take it over the top. I wouldn't mind the lack of flexibility in the steel one bit, and I'm sure no one else would either, once they'd tried an H1 Catcherman. This has 'Sprint Run' written all over it! :D
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

H1 would have to be in hollow grind thou, is that something you are willing to take over FFG?

Me, I think VG10 is corrosion resistant enough, and would be great in FFG.
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

If it were to happen it would have to be a saber or hollow grind.I don't think
a fillet knife without a full flat grind would be usefull.I would buy one in vg-10 though,because it can be flat ground.5.5'' blade would be great. :)
phaust

Post by phaust »

jzmtl wrote:H1 would have to be in hollow grind thou, is that something you are willing to take over FFG?

Me, I think VG10 is corrosion resistant enough, and would be great in FFG.
No vg-10 for me. Last summer my waved Endura rusted both in my pocket and sitting on the counter just because of the humidity (and I was in a landlocked part of CT). I wouldn't want a VG-10 knife for a fillet knife. Plus, fish guts don't offer much resistance, so not being FFG isn't a negative IMO.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

If I recall there were rumors about a toxic green catcherman being made for the USN; imagine that thing with a black blade!!!
In omnia paratus
v8r

Post by v8r »

I'm down for one.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

BananaBoy_S4 wrote:If I recall there were rumors about a toxic green catcherman being made for the USN; imagine that thing with a black blade!!!
Maybe this will happen --- let's make some noise!!! (though, make mine with a non-coated PE blade...) ;)
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

warriorsociologist wrote:Maybe this will happen --- let's make some noise!!! (though, make mine with a non-coated PE blade...) ;)
:cool:
Attachments
USNCatchermansized.jpg
USNCatchermansized.jpg (74.73 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
In omnia paratus
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

i'm in,they make a great edc.....
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
Slider817

Post by Slider817 »

full plain, and some H1, and I am in
newbuyer

Post by newbuyer »

I'm down for one.
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

Put me down for one.
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
:spyder:
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

I am in 100%
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Ever since this thread and the one on USN have gotten attention, I have seen the price of the Catcherman on the secondary market start to climb. They used to average around $70 and now I am seeing them over $90.

This must be the new trend of Spyderco knife to have.

Please make the toxic green one so we can all have them for a decent price?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I like it. Would probably purchase.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>