Annoucement: Amsterdam Spyderco mini meet 2010

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ted

Post by Ted »

RIOT wrote:is it just me? but it seems that the Gin-1 in this pic is not heat treated like the AUS-6 Trainer's ?
What you see is a stone-wash finish.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Ted wrote:What you see is a stone-wash finish.
never heard of that yet but if you are correct i stand corrected
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

RIOT wrote:is it just me? but it seems that the Gin-1 in this pic is not heat treated like the AUS-6 Trainer's ?
My guess it's the lense, lighting, or perhaps finish. It looks similar but who knows in hand if it will.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Ted is right, it's a light and very even stonewash.
In fact, this blade is a beauty.
The transition from ricasso line to grind line is the best I have ever seen on a Spyderco.

I hope this is the new standard on grinds and finish.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Whieee

Post by Whieee »

@Jijoel: thanks for the drop point pics :)

I'll chime in with some pics from my goodie bag :D

I've said it before, and I still think it holds true: the UK Penknife is possibly the best EDC blade ever, and even though I have quite some excellent blades in my rotation, I always tend to gravitate towards my UKPK. Many thanks to the Spyderco crew for making my EDC choice even harder; now I also have to decide WHICH UKPK I will take :D

Seriously, I like the FRN UKPK a lot. The G-10/S30V version may be tougher, may be a better slicer, and may be overall 'better', but then again it costs twice as much. The FRN version offers amazing value and I will happily take the FRN version with me on my trip to Switzerland without ever feeling I have an inferior blade on me. It's just a lot cheaper than its 'better' brother, so if I break or lose it in Switzerland, it won't break the bank to replace it.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

SmoothOne25 wrote:WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE BLUE LEAF BLADE! :p
I actually don't really care for the appearance of the hollow grind on the leaf blade (I think it looks great on the drop point though!), but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the blue one! I hope it's as nice as the tiny color sample in the catalog suggests. :)

Whieee wrote:I've said it before, and I still think it holds true: the UK Penknife is possibly the best EDC blade ever, and even though I have quite some excellent blades in my rotation, I always tend to gravitate towards my UKPK.
Agreed! It's such a simple design, but it just works really well, and there's something about it that gives it a unique appeal. Despite having a few other fairly new knives I want to get some use out of, I just can't help EDC-ing my UKs most of the time.