Anyone using an M4 Mule, please comment on staining/rust

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
demtek9

Anyone using an M4 Mule, please comment on staining/rust

Post by demtek9 »

Is there anyone here that is actually using thier CPM-M4 Mule that can comment on it staining or rusting? With the M4 Millie coming, I'm curious how this will wear with use. The BM M4 blades are all black coated, so the Mule is the only one I can think of to get some feedback from users.

Thanks!
...oh you know why!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I use my M4 Mule as a shop knife. A pattern of stains has grown across the blade. When the stains completely cover the blade I guess it will be a patina :)

No problems with rust, but I hardly ever get it wet.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There are probably some BM M4 blade owners who've removed the coating, but I've also read that even after the pigment is gone some of the carrier (or whatever the term would be with a bake-on coating) remains and seals the pores/surface of the metal, so that even de-coated blades retain a good deal of the coating's benefit. That's a long-winded way of saying that the M4 Mule is probably the best broadly-sold blade to check for real-world results.