g-10 handle make a knife stronger

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

g-10 handle make a knife stronger

Post by iyn »

does the g-10 handle make a knife stronger than a FRN? Is that why the endra and the delica come in G10 handle? Is that why the dragonfly is available in G-10 too?
THG

Post by THG »

It might be stronger, but I don't think that's the main reason that the variant exists. G10 is a grippy material while FRN is not (although the latter can be textured for grip). It is also more expensive to make because it has to be machined rather than just injected with molten "plastic" like FRN.

I don't know if you could really say that one is better than the other; they're just different. Personally, I like FRN better; all of my Spydercos have it.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Both will survive an incredible amount of punishment. G-10 will chip if struck hard, FRN will dent. G-10 will crack if flexed far enough, FRN, while easier to flex, will only bend, then spring back when released. If FRN has a "weakness" it's that it will melt, and even burn, if exposed to a flame. G-10 is considerably more difficult to damage with heat.

As THG noted, FRN is cheaper, but requires an extremely expensive mold, so it's not really feasible to use for "limited production" models. G-10 and CF, while more expensive, are more economical to use on low volume models. There's also an element of "snob appeal" involved. Some folks look down their noses at FRN because they equate inexpensive with low quality.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Deacon wrote:Both will survive an incredible amount of punishment. G-10 will chip if struck hard, FRN will dent. G-10 will crack if flexed far enough, FRN, while easier to flex, will only bend, then spring back when released. If FRN has a "weakness" it's that it will melt, and even burn, if exposed to a flame. G-10 is considerably more difficult to damage with heat.

As THG noted, FRN is cheaper, but requires an extremely expensive mold, so it's not really feasible to use for "limited production" models. G-10 and CF, while more expensive, are more economical to use on low volume models. There's also an element of "snob appeal" involved. Some folks look down their noses at FRN because they equate inexpensive with low quality.
+1 on what The Deacon said. Very well put.

Bill
iyn

Post by iyn »

so there is no durability difference with the delica 4 in G-10 or FRN? the only difference is the blade grind? The steel liners in the Delica 4 make it stronger than a delica 3?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

iyn wrote:so there is no durability difference with the delica 4 in G-10 or FRN? the only difference is the blade grind? The steel liners in the Delica 4 make it stronger than a delica 3?
Yes, the steel liners make the D4 stronger and stiffer, plus allows for 4-way clip mounting. They also add some weight, but not that much.

Bill
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The D4 FRN and D4 G10 both have liners excepted one is nested in the FRN and one has full-length that are covered with G10. Earlier Delica's are pinned w/o liners and a tad weaker (but lighter/thinner). I would still stack an early Delica against many competing "steel liner" models.

With standard use I think even a first gen Delica is nearly impossible to break for the average person. I've seen Tasman's used by electricians on this forum and Delica's used by construction workers...they definitely don't pull any punches. Lol.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

iyn wrote:so there is no durability difference with the delica 4 in G-10 or FRN? the only difference is the blade grind? The steel liners in the Delica 4 make it stronger than a delica 3?
Yes, and no. The D4 will feel stiffer, but if you ran both knives over with a truck, the D3 would be more likely to remain functional, as the D4's liners would likely bend. Almost every "up side has a "down side" to it. Eight times out of ten, one will be as good as the other, and each will be better once.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

G-10 is also flame-retardant..

this forum must be made of G-10 cos i haven't seen much flaming around!
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG