Any plans on more white FRN scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharpmint

Any plans on more white FRN scales?

Post by Sharpmint »

Or rather, any more white FRN scales?

Of all handle materials, I like FRN more. Yes, I like it more than all manner of G10, carbon fiber, wood, horn, alox, aluminum, or what have you. Yet, I'm not a big fan of straight black handles on every single knife ever produced. When I saw the white FRN handled Spydies come out, I was ecstatic, and with the advent of dyeing handles with RIT, my EDC color coordination fantasies came alive.

So, while I love the dear white Dragonfly, I absolutely need a white Delica. Its handle has always been a favorite of mine, ever since I got my first one-handed opener on a lake trip years back, which happened to be a knockoff of the Delica as I would find out. I know one is already offered, but man, combo-edge? I guess I just enjoy the ease of sharpening that plain edge knives enjoy...

Since I doubt a slightly thicker, flat-ground, white scaled Delica is in the works anytime soon, are there any plans for white replacement scales? Or, should the possibility of a second sprint run with new blade types be expected? :D
chipped

Post by chipped »

There are supposed to be the FFG D4 and E4s coming out next year in a variety of colors. Don't know if white will be one of them, but there's always a chance.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

sharpmint you want pics? i have a few white frns but just the normal stuff del, end, drag, etc

and yes i like frn the best too. i dont like g-10 much it gets dirty easy and feels funny when you are outside using it (dont ask what i mean) and never liked wood but micarta im down with
oh and cf is the ****! somehting about how the light catches it and how it look sin pics. like the cf manix or the cf sage.... beautiful!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The white Spydies were done to pay homage to Tom Sach's art as he uses quite a bit of that color specifically with his space themed pieces.

While he doesn't all the white FRN, it's a side note worth considering. I'd like to see more of them as well. :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If Spyderco were ever to sell replacement FRN scales to end users, then white ones would be a good choice for the enthusiasts who want every color. Regular users would not want to dye their own handles, so some other colors than white would probably be a sounder business decision. Just thinking out loud here.

I also like FRN and micarta for scales. FRN wins the cost/benefit competition because it can be injection molded, and FRN scales function so well.

Bill
markg

Post by markg »

Hummmmm... A white Stretch.
Sharpmint

Post by Sharpmint »

chipped wrote:There are supposed to be the FFG D4 and E4s coming out next year in a variety of colors. Don't know if white will be one of them, but there's always a chance.
Well well, is that so? :D
If they produce a baby blue/teal color or a pure light blue, I'd be sold. That's the main reason I want more white scale knives; they offer limitless possibility on color combinations.
SmoothOne25 wrote:sharpmint you want pics? i have a few white frns but just the normal stuff del, end, drag, etc

and yes i like frn the best too. i dont like g-10 much it gets dirty easy and feels funny when you are outside using it (dont ask what i mean) and never liked wood but micarta im down with
oh and cf is the ****! somehting about how the light catches it and how it look sin pics. like the cf manix or the cf sage.... beautiful!
I don't need pics as the Internet has quite a few, but you're free to post some. It's always fun to look at knives.
As for handle material, FRN just feels best to me. G10 is quite strange to feel (though my current EDC, a S30V Leek, has it). Carbon fiber is nice, but I still prefer pure FRN. Though... a Delica with CF would be quite a sight.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I agree with you 100% about FRN. It took me a long time to try an FRN knife, and I was instantly sold when I did. I much prefer it over G10 as well. Titanium might just beat it as my favorite handle material, but every knife could stand to be produced in an FRN version as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like white by itself, but I love the idea of RIT dying spydies... so I hope that they will offer more white FRN knives in the future.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

npueppke wrote:I agree with you 100% about FRN. It took me a long time to try an FRN knife, and I was instantly sold when I did. I much prefer it over G10 as well. Titanium might just beat it as my favorite handle material, but every knife could stand to be produced in an FRN version as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like white by itself, but I love the idea of RIT dying spydies... so I hope that they will offer more white FRN knives in the future.
Agreed.

G10 is great for max traction but a properly designed handle in FRN is super grippy. The Stretch FRN has great handle lockup for me.

Often it seems G10 is a substitute for ergonomics (other brands mostly). It's a great material and for certain models with great ergonomics already (Manix2, Para, Mil, Barong, etc) it gives super traction.

There are times that I wish models like the Cento3/4 had G10 because the design doesn't cater to deep choils and form fitting grips. They are still great knives just follow the philosophy of class vs heavy use.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I vote for a white Stretch II.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see them come out with a white PE Delica. I too would love to play around with the RIT dye. I just bought a white D'Fly so I could dye it and I don't even like the knife. No offense, it's just too small for me.

I would love to be able to dye a Delica the same maroon color as the older Calypso.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Bluntrauma wrote:I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see them come out with a white PE Delica.
i have that ? dont i, i will go take a pic. brb
--an eye for an eye--

SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

^ok i suck. combo edge
--an eye for an eye--

Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

buy a regular PE one together with a white CE, switch the FRN scales and sell the CE Delica. You shouldn't lose very much money that way. Only problem is maybe to still find one of these white sprint run Delicas.

Dennis