H1 Neck Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TimmyBoston

H1 Neck Knife

Post by TimmyBoston »

Has Spyderco ever considered doing an H-1 Neck knife that can be worn during workouts, something that won't rust when it comes into contact with sweat?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think the closest thing would be the Caspian Salt, it can be a neck knife if you were to have the proper sheath made for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

Jay_Ev wrote:I think the closest thing would be the Caspian Salt, it can be a neck knife if you were to have the proper sheath made for it.
I thought about that too, but that would be too big for most people to carry in that fashion, IMO.
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

If they would make the SPOT or the SWICK in H-1 ...
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I'd love a Perrin neck knife in H-1!
That'd be like a dream come true! :D

Post by 224477 »

RazorSharp86 wrote:I'd love a Perrin neck knife in H-1!
I second this one :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I have neck knives in S30V, CPM 154, 3V, D2, 01, 1075, 440C, Damasteel, and Ti and, if Tom Mayo ever gets any Stellite again, I'll have one in Stellite as well. I would love to add an H1 Swick to the rotation.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I don't think that rust is something to really worry about with a neck knife. There is no pivot for water to get trapped in.. just rinse it off and put a bit of oil on it after you're done working out.

That's not to say that an H1 neck knife wouldn't be really cool. Keep in mind thought that it'd have to be hollow ground, so it would probably be thicker than your average neck knife.
Noble

Post by Noble »

Ive had a few kneck knives, boot knives etc... Meh. I totally preffer clipit folders. Having the dangling knife, even if its in the shirt gets annoying to me. It does deploy rather quick, but, i can draw my pocket knife just as fast. Dont get me wrong, maybe there is a lot of you that would benefit, and H1 would be the obvious awesome candidate.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

hahaha, what about the bug in H1? probably never going to happen?
Andy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wouldn't any neck knife with a good sheath work?

I am assuming we are literally meaning a knife with a sheath (like Kydex) hanging from your neck pointing up.

Unlike a folder none of the blade should be exposed and unless your sweating like a race horse I don't know how the sweat's going to get into the sheath.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Maybe the new Ronin will be H1? ;)
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

RazorSharp86 wrote:I'd love a Perrin neck knife in H-1!
That is exactly what I had in mind. It would be amazing. :)
carrot

Post by carrot »

I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have one of these recently... I'd love to own one.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

Blerv wrote:Wouldn't any neck knife with a good sheath work?

I am assuming we are literally meaning a knife with a sheath (like Kydex) hanging from your neck pointing up.

Unlike a folder none of the blade should be exposed and unless your sweating like a race horse I don't know how the sweat's going to get into the sheath.
I purchased a La Griffe, I bought it to cycle in, but I've never used it because I'm afraid it's going to rust up even with the sheath. That's why I think something of a similar design in H-1 would be such an amazing knife.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

npueppke wrote: That's not to say that an H1 neck knife wouldn't be really cool. Keep in mind thought that it'd have to be hollow ground, so it would probably be thicker than your average neck knife.
Please educate me. Why does H1 need to be hollow ground?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

JohnAPA wrote:Maybe the new Ronin will be H1? ;)
+10

That would be awesome.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Blerv wrote:Wouldn't any neck knife with a good sheath work?

Well, yes and no. I carried a neck knife made from 01 (which some claim will rust if you look at it too hard) for over a year with no rust problems. The knife in question (by RW Clark) has an expoxied Japanese style cord wrap over rayskin and one of the best (although far from prettiest) kydex sheaths I've encountered. No metal was exposed to the elements. However, many neck knives have exposed tangs or no scales at all. The blade may not be exposed to sweat, but plenty of metal is. Rust can be an issue.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Bill1170 wrote:Please educate me. Why does H1 need to be hollow ground?
Because in a production setting, the grinding must be done on both sides simultaneously so as to keep the steel from warping. by hand, alternating sides every few seconds or so, a flat grind is doable, but when you're talking about a production company trying to put out thousands of knives, it's just not plausible to crank out the knives in a reasonable amount of time/labor.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

defenestrate wrote:Because in a production setting, the grinding must be done on both sides simultaneously so as to keep the steel from warping. by hand, alternating sides every few seconds or so, a flat grind is doable, but when you're talking about a production company trying to put out thousands of knives, it's just not plausible to crank out the knives in a reasonable amount of time/labor.
So H1 is more prone to warping than other cutlery steels? There are plenty of flat ground knives out there on the market, and they aren't all expensive, either. How are they prevented from warping, or is this just a problem with H1?