How Many Would You Buy?: Dodo 2.0 & Yojimbo 2.0

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What would you buy?

I would buy only 1 Yojimbo.
18%
I would buy only 1 Dodo.
24%
I would buy only 1 of each.
30%
I would buy AT LEAST 1 of each color, grind, etc. (probably duplicates)
28%

Total votes: 74

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Two of my favorite knives! Janich Rules! :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Hope the Yojimbo Sprint becomes a reality. I have a Dodo but could never find a Yojimbo that was centered for a decent price.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dang I shoulda put more options. Never underestimate the compulsive Yojimbo buyers, Lol.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I would get one Yojimbo to try out. I would probably get a couple Dodos though.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

What is so appealing about the Yojimbo? It looks like a pretty simple blade design. Is there something I'm missing here?
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

captnvegtble wrote:What is so appealing about the Yojimbo? It looks like a pretty simple blade design. Is there something I'm missing here?
Without getting into the MBC or Self-Defense aspects; it's one of the bigger "little big knives" in that is has a shorter blade (2 and 7/8") but a full size handle. The blade shape is very utility oriented and cuts amazingly well. Made in Golden with G10 and S30V it has quality materials and a very good lock. It's also really easy to sharpen! :D

It may be simple looking to some but it is very effective in a variety of roles.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

captnvegtble wrote:What is so appealing about the Yojimbo? It looks like a pretty simple blade design. Is there something I'm missing here?
The blade design is unique, IMO. Almost like a straight razor. But I understand what you mean.

I think the whole package of the Yojimbo is pretty cool. The compression lock, nice jimping, very ergonomic handle and bright blue G10. The lines are clean and sharp. Just speaks to me, I guess.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Many things that look simple on paper work amazingly well and take forever to figure out. Janich himself has said that he had a difficult time having the Ronin made until he had people try the blade for themselves. The Yojimbo is a serious defense piece as is the Chinook series or any martial arts folder.

What makes the Yo special is the geometry. The point is designed to penetrate and the blade is meant to cut soft materials deep with no drag.

As a linoleum knife it's a very expensive one. I wouldn't replace box cutters for it because those blades come in 10 packs.

It's designed for a purpose much like the H1 Spyderhawk and Jumpmaster. Knives which the average drop-point or leaf-blade will out-perform in most tasks. For the specific tasks these knives are designed for, they are the best at what they do.

I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the Yojimbo. The geometry and engineering alone make me not care =). I won't be breaking down boxes with it or trying to impress people at parties. It would help fill out a collection for most much like owning Citizen Kane as a movie buff. Much like other "MBC" or self-defense blades I would hope to never use them.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Dodo gets the vote as it is lefty friendly.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Thanks for that explanation. If Spyderco did a sprint run, I just might have to buy one and check it out. It's hard to judge a knife without handling it first.
dwong

Post by dwong »

would like one jimbo in cc handle
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister