Spyderco Factory Sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

cpc63 wrote:IIRC, last year the smaller knives like the Caly 3, UKPK were $20, the larger like the Military, Manix and Endura4 G-10 were $40. Natives were $15, Aqua Salt $25, Swick $10.

It was great fun, plan to go again this year too. :)
Are these prices for real? Anyone mind being a proxy for me? I would really like to pick up a PE Para or maybe a SE Spyderhawk if available.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pays to understand, the knives being sold are SECONDS. They all have cosmetic and/or functional defects which have caused them to be rejected by QC. The functional defects are not ones which would compromise safety. I believe, some of the knives are ones which were returned and replaced. All of them are sold without warranty.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'm guessing that a lot of these were returned by unhappy customers and can't be refurbished or fixed. Does anyone know for sure?

Gordon
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

For $20 I'd take a couple ZDP Caly 3s that have that "mistake" (the line between the two steels) ;-) (ducking!)

Wish I could be there. Sounds like a fun trip.

Ken
玉鋼
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

gaj999 wrote:I'm guessing that a lot of these were returned by unhappy customers and can't be refurbished or fixed. Does anyone know for sure?

Gordon
I dont think Spyderco would sell any knife no matter how cheap if it was broken or had a major defect. The liability for a defective knife would far out weigh the profit they would make IMO.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

None of the knives sold at the sale are unsafe... IE they all function perfectly. They wont sell one that isnt safe! Thats the one gig.

Everything that is at the sale is a second (all are notched on the blade to show this) So they have some sort of cosmetic flaw, or the like. A milie I got had a little play in th detent, not much, just a little. Cricket, had scratches on SS... no big deal. Barong, had g-10 scales whose color didnt match, ones side was light green, otherside dark. Stuff like that... its almost always nothing to worry about. Uneven grinds... etc Stuff like that.

but make sure you all fully understand... these are SECONDS, They have flaws, they also have a notch on the back of the blade to mark them as seconds. They do not come in boxes, they do not have warrantys.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

First, my recollection is that the prices where a little higher than CPC63's quote. But, it's the right ballpark. Something feels not right about quoting exact prices of all the factory seconds; to much pressure on SFO to meet expectations IMHO. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if SFO decides to increase prices, since the MSRPs have gone up a little.

To answer a second question, there where (last year) actual warranty returned knives for sale, which was really cool. So, yes some of the knive were broke. As an engineer I love seeing how things break. One doesn't understand a design until you break it.

So, the Matriarch in my pocket was a returned knife in which the FRN was damaged at the clip pocket and the tip was slightly bent. For $15, I'll take it.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

A friendly bump & reminder that it's only 2 days away! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
sampson2269

2 More Days

Post by sampson2269 »

I go every year will be going this year to. Ive seen guys spend over a 1000 dollars there, with there entire basket full of knives its crazy. I love it though i haven't missed it for over 4yrs.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

man -- it hurts that i can't be there! i can't imagine how amazingly great this sale must be!!!!!!

i might have to plan a trip some time... spend $1,000 or so on discounted spydies, to make the cost of the plane ticket / hotel / rental car worth it... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
JRSFITNESS

Post by JRSFITNESS »

Jim stated, "I hope no one minds if I let him line butt; it would be cool to shop with him, but I doubt if he will be there very early."

I certainly hope you are kidding about that. For all of the people that are coming from such great distances and others that are getting there many hours before the sale starts so as to have a early place in line I'm quite certain that folks would indeed mind if people were to let friends show up late and line butt.
JRSFITNESS

Post by JRSFITNESS »

"I dont think Spyderco would sell any knife no matter how cheap if it was broken or had a major defect."

I've never seen an unsafe knife at the sale, but have seen many where the tip, or in some cases as much as half of the blade was broken off.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

One day i'll make it out to golden colorado for the sale of the century once every year. Yeah that doesn't make sense but who cares.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

sampson2269 wrote:...Ive seen guys spend over a 1000 dollars there, with there entire basket full of knives its crazy.
I can take a wild guess as to what happens next and it involves ebay. Anyone buying knives in the days and weeks following the factory outlet sale would do themselves a favor by being extra cautious if they come across a deal that seems too good to be true. I don't want to see any of you get jipped or scammed by someone selling a factory 2nd as BNIB. Nobody wants to think that something like this could happen, but it has happened in the past and it will continue to happen. Just a friendly warning from my computer screen to yours.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
whkento

Post by whkento »

Well, I'm still looking for a used canoe (or kayak) so I won't make it this year. :)
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Based on current estimates, I'll be spending a little over $1000.00, and only one is for me :)
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Oh dear - I will miss this again :( Please think of me when you guys all go on your shopping spree with massive grins plastered all over your faces :p

I will have to make up for this by going shooting tomorrow in near 40 degree (Celcius) heat.

Have fun guys, please post up lots of pics so I can enjoy vicariously and cry over the bargains I miss :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Yeah, if he felt the same way, he'd be willing to get up early.

Gordon
JRSFITNESS wrote:Jim stated, "I hope no one minds if I let him line butt; it would be cool to shop with him, but I doubt if he will be there very early."

I certainly hope you are kidding about that. For all of the people that are coming from such great distances and others that are getting there many hours before the sale starts so as to have a early place in line I'm quite certain that folks would indeed mind if people were to let friends show up late and line butt.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Woohoo! I have a friend who is going to try to attend for me! Keeping my fingers crossed for what he might find from my list!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Hooray! I'm leaving today!

Camping will be fun.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE