Forester

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Forester

Post by VashHash »

WOW is all I can say. It's amazing just got home from work and wasn't expecting this thing til atleast wednesday and there in the mail box is this HUGE box almost didn't fit. Inside is the FORESTER and it's amazing with the FFG or EXTREMELY close to FFG theres a slight bit unground towards the spine. The spine is also rounded which makes the knife look alot smoother and as i've heard and would also think would be better for batoning. This thing is THICK the only blade thats close to it in thickness that i own is the CRKT hissatsu for those who own one of those you know what i'm talking about. I haven't done much chopping but the little i've done was SIMPLY AMAZING. The Rock Salt is an excellent chopper but with 3 more inches of cutting edge and blade weight this thing powers through alot more. Think Elongated Axe Head. Thats about what this thing is. The knife is beautiful i love the finish and the HUGE spyderco logo. The micarta is also Beautiful. This is my first micarta handle and it's amazing. The only downside so far is it had a slight rattle when i first started chopping so i took all the screws out and put some good ol loctite blue in there. No rattle i just wish the tek lok was most adjustable which i'm sure is a common complaint i like to carry it tip down and it's just kinda high so i might try it inverted. I'll keep you guys posted on how this thing handlers further down the road. OHH did i mention it's RAZOR SHARP out the box and RAZOR sharp after a few branches. Get one NOW the price is right.
Attachments
forestsalt2.jpg
forestsalt2.jpg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
forestsalt.jpg
forestsalt.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
ForestSalt1.jpg
ForestSalt1.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Can you post a pic of it next to a Rock Salt for size comparison? I have a Rock Salt and have been curious how it looks when compared to the Forester.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I needa get a camera the rock salt looks a little smaller but not puny the spyderco catalog totally has the Rock Salt undermeasured too it says overall 10.5" when it's more like 12 1/4" and the Forester is like 15.5" but they say 15 9/16" either way i'll try and get some pics up when i can get my phone to work with my comp. When it comes to thickness the Rock Salt is put the shame though along with MANY MANY other knives
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Jay_Ev wrote:Can you post a pic of it next to a Rock Salt for size comparison? I have a Rock Salt and have been curious how it looks when compared to the Forester.
+1 on the request.

I am trying to decide if I want a Rock Salt or a Hossom...trying to figure out which would fit my hand better.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd love to post pics just my phone won't cooperate if you have larger hands the hossom would be better though it has a wider grip and longer grip
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The only comparison shots i can get off my phone
Attachments
forestsalt2.jpg
forestsalt2.jpg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
forestsalt.jpg
forestsalt.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Pics added finally. Had to send them from my phone to HP snapfish then saveand post here
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Vash,

Thanks much for the pictures, especially since you had to go to such lengths to post them. Greatly appreciated!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

No problem man It wasn't that i had to go to great lengths just ATT and snapfish weren't cooperating and i need a new computer and an actual digital camera
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Oooh, nice photos of the ultimate big blade combo. :) I ordered these very same two and I'm looking forward to them.
dskmanch

Post by dskmanch »

very very nice and thanks for the pics.

i ordered a rock salt and a forrager a week ago and can't wait now :)

the forrester was just too long for my needs. i must say that the temptation was to get one of *every* length at those great prices :D
May I deal with honour

May I act with courage

May I achieve humility
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm thinking about getting one of the smaller hossoms too as the N690Co seems to hold up extremely well to chopping and cutting i've used it quite a bit and it's still got the factory edge and no need to sharpen as it still shaves. The Rock Salt has been sharpened alot to keep it always razor but thats just my preference the edge does last a good while. Just the Forester is an amazing and beautiful knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I remember reading somewhere that N690Co was rated pretty similar to VG10 in regards to blade wear/edge holding. That and the Forester's convex grind/5mm blade stock make for a better working edge.

Thanks for the reviews/insight. How do you compare the Rock Salt in chopping chores? Obviously it's not a wood maul being so lightly built but I'd love to hear your thoughts being you have two of the coolest Spyderco FB's side to side :) .
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Well the Rock Salt is more EDCable it's very versatile and can fill many shoes. Of course the Length and Leverage of the Forester cause it to win all out in a chopping match and the steel in edge retention. The cant on the rock salt makes it cut alot better than it should because it angles it so. The Forester relies more on the blade and weight and less on technique. It's like comparing a bulldozer to a sports car. One Powers through while the other has power but its more delicate and refined. Not to say the Forester isn't an amazing knife because it's beautiful and quite agile for such a large blade. It's just more of an Elongated AXE. Both knives clean up easy though thanks to the amazing F&F on the Forester and the no hassle rust free h-1. As far as i can tell the Cobalt actually helps 2 fold in the N690Co it helps with edge retention and Corrosion resistance but also N690Co has massive amounts of Chromium like 17% and it also has 0.10% vanadium which i'm sure helps a little too with the edge retention. Only 1.07% carbon but it's an amazing steel as far as i can tell. The H-1 seems to bend and i had bent it a bit from twisting the blade away from cuts to split branches and what not. Not the smartest Idea i know but i like to know the limitations of my steel. The rock salt has seen some abrasion from shingles when i was trimming tree branches on the roof and kinda scraped it but the edge came back with ease. It's easy to sharpen too even if it doesn't stay razor for too long it hold a heck of an edge for what it's doing. Both of these knives are amazing in their own right i like how you can choke up on each with the choil areas. The Forester is a little more dangerous as the grind ends in the choil and leaves a sharp point that i almost cut myself on while indexing/twirling the knife to a different hand position. The forester is the only Spyderco I've owned that feels good in every hand position including the pikal grip. The rock salt isn't as great in this grip but the handle design is slightly more secure in the stabbing area. I find the micarta on the forester grips better if you sweat a little but also the way the handle hooks towards the end helps you keep your grip. I definitely reccomend a lanyard for it as it can walk though. The Micarta could use a rougher texture. The Bi Di FRN on the Rock Salt works very well dry or wet though but isn't as visually appealing as the Micarta Which i must mention again is BEAUTIFUL. If you want a looker and an ALL OUT WORKER get the Forester. If you want something that kinda fits in everywhere a midsize fixed blade can get the Rock Salt. But, If you can just do like i did and get both. Two very amazing knives from two amazing collaborations. I highley reccomend checking out Jerry Hossoms Website and I was planning on looking up Ed Schempp tonight. I'll keep you guys updated on the forester though.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I've been considering a smaller version of the Forester as a field knife for my search and rescue pack. A good friend loooooves the Bussey knives, but they aren't my thing. To their credit, they do have a coating that prevents rust. Am I right in thinking that the steel choice used in the Forester series is pretty darn rust resistant? Many thanks to VanHash's post, I just wanted to be sure of what I was reading.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

As far as i can tell it is and the steel should be considering whats it's make up is Chromium at 17% should make it pretty stainless of course i'd put oil on it if i didn't rinse it as often as i do It comes clean with ease thats for sure the cobalt also helps with corrosion and edge retention as i mentioned before busse knives are great in that if you ever break them accidently they'll replace them but for 200 less i say get the spyderco hossom of your choice. I did some light batoning today and it went very well the edge is still very very sharp losing it's razorness slightly but keep in mind i chop with it often Not that i need to i just feel the need to put it to the limits without chopping cinder blocks. No marks on the blade yet either and it went through pretty easy until i got to a knot i didn't pick the branches too well. But still a great woods knife. Haven't batoned with the rock salt yet as h-1 does tend to bend but i will probably get to it sooner or later
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I wonder how long the Forester will hold the record for the longest Spyderco knife. Big blades are not their thing, so it's possible that it will never be surpassed.

And no, I don't count the whale rescue blade.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

it is the largest spyderco that i know of supposedly they're Discontinuing it but kristi is gonna post a real list soon glad i got one might grab another
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Batoning in ACTION with the rock and forester
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The forester maintains it's edge better but the rock salt being thinner went through easier.