MT05P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring 9Cr18Mo

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
sal

Post by sal »

rodloos wrote:According to the first post in this thread, the Mule's steel (9Cr18Mo)

Does anyone have an idea how that might compare to other steels Spyderco uses? I guess the quality of the heat-treat would make a difference? I'm just curious if it would come out similar to say VG10, or possible even better edge-retention. Anyone going to send their knife off to actually be tested for the achieved hardness? :)

Hi Rodloos,

Nobody knows. It's a new experimental steel that has yet before been used in any production knives (except the 200 Catbyrds at SFO).

That's one of the nice features of the "Mule Team" project is that we all get to try new or exotic steels and form original opinions, rather just repeating what someone else posted.

sal
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

What are the hole diameters in the hande? For pins to fit.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JLS

Post by JLS »

Sal, do you have any CATRA results on the 9Cr18MoV yet? That could be enlightening.

As far as holes, I believe they're 3/8" and 3/16" again, with the lanyard hole at 1/4".
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Andyabro

Post by Andyabro »

Hello guys,
Could you recommend me, please, what's kind of SCREW rivets (right?) I need for scales 1/8", 1/4? Could you give a link(s) on seller, please.
Sal, what do you think about making scales for MT? We needed them yesterday! I understand that some guys with right hands, but most, like me, are not.
Thanks.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Anyabro,
There are a few folks here who will be happy to put a nice handle on your Mule. I'm planning to probably cordwrap one (at least temporarily) and try something natural most likely on the other i ordered.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Andyabro

Post by Andyabro »

defenestrate wrote:Anyabro,
There are a few folks here who will be happy to put a nice handle on your Mule. I'm planning to probably cordwrap one (at least temporarily) and try something natural most likely on the other i ordered.
I know they will (and they are great, no doubt), but I see only two ways for me - DoItMySelf AND Spyderco production. Sal can play with scales as he plays with steel - material, color, form, .... It's a LEGO. Game could have 2 dimensions: scales and blades.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Scales from Spyderco aren't happening. The purpose of the Mule Team is to try different steels and keep it as simple as possible. This is the fifth Mule.
Andyabro

Post by Andyabro »

ABX2011 wrote:Scales from Spyderco aren't happening. The purpose of the Mule Team is to try different steels and keep it as simple as possible. This is the fifth Mule.
Image is nothing, thirst is everything?
It's why to sell a super blades is quite a problem. Because it's a sale for "professionals". For "professionals" 600 blades are too much, for us "amateurs" it's nothing. But we, "amateurs", want scales! :spyder: We, "amateurs", define this World. :) Look around, department stores define our life. And if we want something - we MUST get it. Actually, it's all about business. :D :D :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Andyabro,

Welcome to the Spyderco forums and thanx much for the interest.

The "Mule Team" project was targeting Steel heads that wanted to play with exotic steels that were difficult to acquire or new steels that were not easily available.

The "kit" aspect was our way of being to do the project without getting involved in scales or sheaths. Having to put time and funds into the additional inventory of the accessories would take away from other projects or models.

With the "Mule Team" project, it's not "all about business", it's all about R&D.

sal
Andyabro

Post by Andyabro »

sal wrote:Hi Andyabro,

Welcome to the Spyderco forums and thanx much for the interest.

The "Mule Team" project was targeting Steel heads that wanted to play with exotic steels that were difficult to acquire or new steels that were not easily available.

The "kit" aspect was our way of being to do the project without getting involved in scales or sheaths. Having to put time and funds into the additional inventory of the accessories would take away from other projects or models.

With the "Mule Team" project, it's not "all about business", it's all about R&D.

sal
Sal, thank you for your answer. When said "business" I didn't mean money. It was a provocation from my side :) I'm in "knife business" 3 years already and have noticed that nobody took LEGO idea. It's so pity.
Sal could you agree at least that for testing different steels is better to have uniform scales? It doesn't take much time and funds but will help in playing. One scales for all models! Thanks again.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It's not happenin'. This is the fifth time around with the Mules. However, if you search a little bit here, there are dozens or scores of threads on how to select materials, what sizes, etc. All Mules since #2 have been the same.

You actually don't have to go farther than this thread (post 46) to get sources. If you have to DIY and can't fabricate scales from wood or synthetic, there are threads and websites on cord-wrapping.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I agree with Sal that providing scales would be too costly in terms of time and money. To be honest, I don't know that I'd have tried experimenting with a Mule if it were not for the bare-bones, do-it yourself and tell us how it goes presentation. The impetus for personal investment into testing these blades and making them our own might not be there for all but the most knutty of the knife knuts. Not to mention affecting the price point.

I could see a decent little side gig cropping up for some industrious person in the form of "mule handle kits". With Sal's blessing, of course.

This is my first foray into Mule territory, and suffice to say it will be very interesting due to my lack of experience and tools for the job.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sarguy wrote:This is my first foray into Mule territory, and suffice to say it will be very interesting due to my lack of experience and tools for the job.
Good luck with your first mule scales! I just recently finished my first scales, using the tutorial thread as a loose guideline. My only power tools were my hand drill and a small belt sander I borrowed from a friend. I practiced on some cheap wood from the Home Depot scrap pile before using the nice wood I picked up on eBay. It turned out pretty dang good, considering my lack of woodworking experience. I can hardly wait to start on #2.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bushminer

Post by Bushminer »

Maybe the next thing with this steel is some Nitrogen

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1992NIMPB..72...55W
whkento

Post by whkento »

I'm happy to say I've got a few coming my way... :)
I plan to try a few different handle / sheath ideas. Looking forward to reading a lot of threads and tutorials.
BWPerdue

Post by BWPerdue »

I ordered one yesterday. I'd like to use hex-head machine screws to attach the scales, so I can try different ones. How do those attach?
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm actually surprised they haven't sold out yet. I know it was more total knives than the forum Native, but it's also 1/3 the cost.

I may have to make a second order shortly... :D
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JLS wrote:I'm actually surprised they haven't sold out yet. I know it was more total knives than the forum Native, but it's also 1/3 the cost.

I may have to make a second order shortly... :D
Look how long the S90V Mules took to sell out. Despite being cheap, these have garnered only a small fraction of the excitement, judging by activity on the forum, that the S90V did. Plus, there are 1000 of these as opposed to 600 S90V Mules.

When I get done trying out the four on there way to me, I'm sure these will still be available if I want more.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gac

Post by gac »

Don't order any more yet! I have to order mine tomorrow.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I've told myself to wait until Saturday. If some are still available then, I may get some more. That should give people another payday to get some.

I just figured for the price that they're hard to pass up. It certainly has the potential to be a very good steel even if it's not S90V or some other super steel. I just remember some of the complaining over the prices on the previous Mules and figured these would go quicker. People are sure fickle...