(PICS) Its alive! "Folding Swick" 2.4 model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

(PICS) Its alive! "Folding Swick" 2.4 model

Post by mark greenman »

Next to Yojimbo and Ayoob, its primary inspiration

In hand, using the "indexing hole"

I hand, without using the "indexing hole"

Reverse grip

Reverse grip, sans hole

V 2.1-2.4- 2.4 had the best ergonomics (bottom)

Well, hours and hours of drawing and cutting later, I think I have arrived at a workable size/ shape for the "folding swick."

For a piece of cardboard, its already pretty intense :eek:

For those who haven't read the previous thread (http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39995)

The "Folding Swick" is designed to incorporate the best of 4 of Spyderco's most effective MBC folders- the Swick, Yojimbo, Ayoob, and P'kal.
-The grip security of the Swick
- The deep slicing performance of the Yojimbo's wharnie blade;
-The raw power of the Ayoob's negative blade angle
-The speed of deployment of the P'kal's removable wave stud. (Note- I didn't add the wave stud to the cardboard model, as it was too flimsy)

What does everyone think? Would you be interested in a real one?

edit: The hole in the blade pivot is supposed to look like this guy:

StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I would definitely pick up one if it was made!
Vic
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

**** look at that bracelet!! lol :eek: suckers huge, nice.
And sweet ideas man, i like it. :spyder:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Thanks guys, glad your interested in the design. Hopefully, with enough interest, this might become a reality :)

I think my next step will be to create a folding cardboard version, to make sure that it will work.
spyderHS08 wrote:**** look at that bracelet!! lol :eek: suckers huge, nice.
Thanks! I had the GF make it for me. Its a triple layer square knot, holds 22 feet of paracord. I feel way more prepared when I rock it. I'll tell her you liked it.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

That's pretty cool design. Hopefully something like this is in the works with Janich.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Noble

Post by Noble »

mark greenman wrote: Thanks! I had the GF make it for me. Its a triple layer square knot, holds 22 feet of paracord. I feel way more prepared when I rock it. I'll tell her you liked it.
Dont mean to detract from the topic, but do you think the plans for that bracelet is available? When you said 22 ft of paracord, thats a cool way to carry around emergency para. Anyway, I dig your swick folder, nicely done.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

judging by the way the pivot hole works, sounds expensive. have you given any thought to the locking mec that would work? Looks good in hand ;)
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

i say it can be done with a CBBL or a small comp lock something along those lines would work
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Shenmue728 wrote:judging by the way the pivot hole works, sounds expensive. have you given any thought to the locking mec that would work? Looks good in hand ;)
My thoughts were Comp lock, ball bearing lock, or the standard, push button lock found on switchblades, in order of preference. After making a cardboard folding version, I'm sure I'll have a better idea.

As for the paracord bracelet, I'll ask the GF for plans. Or, you could toss her some pimp scratch and I'm sure she'd make one for you ;)

Thanks for the support everyone!