Rock Salt bargain............

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Wow

My big thing right now is buying a sailboat so I'm trying to lay off the knives for a bit.

But, of course I need an H1 for service on the sailboat so I picked up a Caspian Salt.

I couldn't help myself; had to get a Rock Salt also after all the raving about it on this forum.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JLS

Post by JLS »

The prices on the Aqua Salts are also tempting. I've been thinking about one as my introduction to H1.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sequimite wrote:Soooo . . . . what is this "shoppe"?

Is there some reason for the reticence in naming the retailer?
I think the secrecy is mostly due to the fact that this forum is not supposed to be a marketplace and most are sensitive to bring up specific dealers.

Ultimately in the end it probably doesn't matter unless a dealer jumps on the forum posting and subliminally advertising his site. There's a very thin line between comradeship and self-promotion and since Sal & Co rarely snap the whip we just abide by the "shiny footprints" philosophy.

That said, this mystical "Shoppe" among some others is one of my favorite places to buy. Good prices and service. Less reputable dealers might take advantage of the new margin between adjusted MSRP and old MSRP. The fact that this particular place was one of the first (if not the first) to lower pricing makes me think very highly of them.

Note: I will say that some of the new MSRP's are too good to pass up. I have no use for a Rock Salt and used to lust over them at the old price. With this new price drop, at the very least it's going to earn a permanent place in the kitchen and I will be eating more melon than ever before :) .
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Guy in the brown shorts just dropped off our order.

The Rock Salt is extremely light in hand. People said this and I was theorizing but it honestly feels like it's plastic. I figured it would be a little cumbersome and long for my tastes...quite the opposite.

The ergonomics of the grip are heavenly. It will likely replace my main kitchen blade (I think it's even lighter, lol).
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

could I get a PM of the name as well? I tried the most obvious name I could think of and I can't seem to bring the page up.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

aebfroman wrote:could I get a PM of the name as well? I tried the most obvious name I could think of and I can't seem to bring the page up.
Cutlery Shoppe is where I got my Rock Salt.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I just got my Rock Salt delivered from the Shoppe today. It is an amazing knife. I am floored by the ergos and the lightweight design. I also picked up a SE Aqua Salt and am very impressed by it as well. These were two knives that I've been lusting after for awhile but the price always put me off.

If anyone was of the mind to ever pick up a Rock, Caspian, Aqua, or any of the Hossoms, now is they time. They are absolute steals at this price! I'm assuming by this drastic price drop that they are being discontinued. It's a real shame as these are some of the nicest fixed blades that Spyderco has ever made.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Fuglee wrote:I just got my Rock Salt delivered from the Shoppe today. It is an amazing knife. I am floored by the ergos and the lightweight design. I also picked up a SE Aqua Salt and am very impressed by it as well. These were two knives that I've been lusting after for awhile but the price always put me off.

If anyone was of the mind to ever pick up a Rock, Caspian, Aqua, or any of the Hossoms, now is they time. They are absolute steals at this price! I'm assuming by this drastic price drop that they are being discontinued. It's a real shame as these are some of the nicest fixed blades that Spyderco has ever made.
I ordered an Aqua in Plain Edge, and have yet to get a shipping confirmation, are they out of stock on those, anyone know?

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would email the person/shop that this thread is hinting at. My understanding is that they have great customer service.
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

My shipping confirmation arrived in my email the same day that the knives arrived at my doorstep, so your confirmation could just be delayed.

They seemed to be quick with the email responses though; I'd probably email them if you're curious.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I have emailed them, about 6 hours ago in fact, and I have gotten no response, which is unusual because all the other times I have emailed them they responded in less than an hour each time. Oh well.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
AnimalHousePA

Post by AnimalHousePA »

I just ordered my Rock Salt from this Shoppe today. The gentleman that took my order was very helpful and friendly. Before last night, I never really checked them out but I'm glad I did. I'm trying to think of all the different uses for this thing...
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've seen -- and been on the receiving end of -- some killer deals lately. this rock salt deal is definitely one of them!

the rock salt i have is already built for a lifetime, though... even an intense lifetime of use in alaska. don't think i'll ever need two!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

CanisMajor wrote:I have emailed them, about 6 hours ago in fact, and I have gotten no response, which is unusual because all the other times I have emailed them they responded in less than an hour each time. Oh well.

Canis
My guess is that business is busier than normal with all these great deals! I got my Rock Salt yesterday and got my shipping notice today. Kinda backwards! :D
-Kyle

hickster

Post by hickster »

AnimalHousePA wrote:...The gentleman that took my order was very helpful and friendly...
Jeff is a great guy to deal with. Very personable. He's my "go to" dealer.
hickster
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Here's a quick picture of my latest and greatest, the Rock Salt. Seeing as how it is my largest :spyder: by far, I thought I'd put it next to my smallest. I really like this knife and think I may need to pick up a 2nd.
Attachments
Rock Salt.jpg
Rock Salt.jpg (89.98 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
-Kyle

amen74

Post by amen74 »

I'm very tempted to pick one up right now.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Falco

Post by Falco »

Ordered my Rock Salt yesterday. Am very excited to receive it! Thanks for letting the rest of us know about this, very good prices over there.
Manix Guy 2

Passed , but ....

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Passed on the Rock salt , but have a Woodlander coming , possibly by Friday . Regards MG2
oregon

Post by oregon »

jabba359 wrote:Here's a quick picture of my latest and greatest, the Rock Salt.
That is a great picture.

The background shrubbery looks like it has taken a vicious sword attack from an agitated ninja. :eek: Your green thumb at work? :D

oregon