How many of you have sold off alot of your spydies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

How many of you have sold off alot of your spydies?

Post by tonydahose »

That lil contest that i had where you had to guess how much $$ i have spent on my :spyder: s got me thinking. That and the mrs putting dreams of a Mustang GT500 in my head. (I blame you David and her for all of this) Long story short i test drove one and was highly disappointed in it. i searched some of the SVT forums and found out that it wasnt getting into any boost because of the low miles. (the computer doesnt let that happen until the engine has enough time to break in) Due to the fact that the dealer only wanted to give me 8K for my trade in i have decided to get a supercharger put in my cobra and sell some of my collection to fund it. this isnt a sales pitch, i wouldnt do that here but i thought some background info was needed. the question is for those of you who sold all or part of their collection away for whatever reason is do you have regrets? i find myself getting new knives and looking them over and handling them and then just putting them away in a drawer. i propably only use 5% of my collection so i figured why not. i think i will get alot more satisfaction and a sh!t-eating grin every time i floor it than missing some knives.to those of you who have toned down the collection do you still buy new :spyder: s, give them a tryout for your team so to speak and then sell them if they don't make the cut?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
i.v

Post by i.v »

I have toned down my collection very significantly. I'm sad to say that was mostly due to financial problems (although thankfully we're out of it now).

I have a total of Spydercos left, those that wouldn't fetch enough money and those that have a special meaning, my wife has one.
I find that I like my knives just as much as I used to but also that I can't EDC everything I'd like to due to laws and restrictions and so I stopped buying as much as I used to.
I've always been more of a user than a collector and it's now hard to justify new purchases, especially for knives I know I won't be able to carry.

For the first time in a while though, I'm eying the purple ladybug :D
noddy

Post by noddy »

i.v wrote:
I can't EDC everything I'd like to due to laws and restrictions
Be interesting to know what the carry laws/restrictions are in Israel :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

well tony every knife i've ever bought except the few i've bought multiples of i've used. Once i use a knife it becomes something personal and i prefer not to get rid of them if possible. But if you don't use them and don't see a need for them then getting rid of them isn't such a bad thing. I know i would regret getting rid of knives i've used. I still have one of my first knives that wasn't a cheap SAK i don't know where my first cheap SAK went to. But i still have my first buck and my second and third and so on. Through the years i've changed brands and now i'm on the spyderco band wagon and for good reason. Personally i have an attachement to every knife i've ever carried. If i didn't carry or use it it's just a piece of metal. If you think the same then liquidating some of your collection wouldn't be that bad. Also i can't say i don't like driving fast because i do. I'm a speed addict and i can say that what you're trying to fund would be a little more fun than knives you don't use. Whats the point of having something thats awesome if you never use it. You wouldn't put the blower on your car if you didn't drive it so i geuss get rid of some of the knives you don't use .
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I've sold off a lot of stuff in the past few years that I just didn't use, Spyders included. I don't really regret any of them because it's better I get my money's worth out of using and enjoying the knives rather than just admiring them. There are new models I want to try, and hopefully will at some point, and if it ends up being something I want to keep then maybe some other knife will have to go to make room for it.
~ Nate
markg

Post by markg »

I have bought and sold lots of knives. I but a lot over time, and sell a lot in short intervals.

In reality, I only miss maybe 5% of the knives I have sold.

Of all the Spyderco's I have sold over the years, the only one's I really miss are the Gunting I sold and the spare (I still have two) Yojimbo I sold off.
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

I haven't been collecting knives long enough to sell any off. But it's probably like anything else you collect, and I know that I regretted selling every last guitar I let go for one reason or another.

Big difference between a musical instrument and a knife, in some ways maybe, but once you make something your own, you'll almost certainly miss it if you let it go.

That said, unbridled velocity beats assiduous sharpening any day.

;)
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I regret selling most every spyderco I've sold. Some others too, like my M2 Benchmades, etc. I had to do it at the time though. I wouldn't have sold them to buy another luxury item, just the bills , or Spyderco's I thought I'd get more use out of and didn't have the cash for ( I won't buy knives on credit)

Tony, Don't sell things you don't have extras of if possible. Even when I did that, as when I sold my extra NIB BG42 millie to pay medical bills, I've regretted it. A lot!
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've recently sold some of the spydies i don't carry and use... and yes, it was a little difficult. however, a handful of brand new chokwes and spyderhawks, plus some other gear, helped me get over the tears... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i keep thinking about this Delica collection i have and the drive i have to find more and more different ones i dont have, what it boils down to though is what the **** am i going to do with them all when im done ??? as pointless as it is i keep buying more. :confused:
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

This year I sold 30 or so Spydies and Benchmades, which leaves me where my drawers are empty, but I still have 40-50 on display. I kept are the ones I really liked, so I say sell the ones that you will not miss or have duplicates. Picking those out was fairly easy for me and I probably only regret 3 or so of them being gone. After you have had some models for 5-8 years it gets easier to know if you'll miss it or something incoming will take its place.

Keep the ones you love and most likely Spyderco will sprint run or improve an old model anyway. I've held onto a micarta baby Goddard, black almite Walker, tuffram Copilot, Calypso Jr and a few more I thought were long gone. Well they have all come back in a sprint run (some variations of course).

What I did with the money was expand my custom knife collection, so I have a lot more knives I always wanted.

Oh, if the market is bad for models you want to sell, hold them until it swings up. That way you don't say "crap, why did I sell that one dirt cheap?"
...oh you know why!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Dont sell your Enduras, I know you as the Endura man Tony
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Like stonetone, I haven't been collecting Spydies long enough to sell any yet. In fact, I can't really bear the thought of parting with a single one. :D
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Over the years I have sold/given away maybe 1/3 of the Spyderco knives I owned. Most of them got sold after sitting unused for a year or more. While some I remember fondly, I know that money was most likely used to fund something I wanted more. I really only miss 2:

1) SS Harpy I bought in 1987 - 1st Spyderco I ever owned. Gave it to a soldier in my unit in need of a good knife.

2) Early version CE Delica - my primary EDC for field problems in the Army. Gave it to a soldier in my Squad to replace a crappy knife.

Nothing special about those 2, except sentimental reasons. I don't miss them too much because they went to good homes.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

You only live once..and you ain't getting any younger!
If you'll get more enjoyment out of your car than your knives...then that's that!

Draw a line on a piece of paper with the car at one end and the knives at the other, then mark a point on that line where your most enjoyment comes from. Or draw up a list of what models you're prepared to part with.

P.S.
Try not to get too attached to "material things". Cars get wrecked and stolen, knives get lost etc. To be heartbroken over the loss of something so common as a possesion is a truely sad situation.

We'll still talk with you whether you've got 0 knives or 100!!! :)
PlainEdge

Post by PlainEdge »

I've only been collecting spydies for about 6 months or so.....but I have a decent collection. I have never sold a spydie, and probably never will. But I have sold off my other collection of Busse combats and I kinda miss a few of them. But the stuff that I bought with the Busse selling money gives me the same satisfaction as the Busses did. I say if your going to spend the spydie money on something you enjoy just as much as collecting, go for it!

What year is your cobra? I have a soft spot for late 90's cobras, they sound so sweet with a Kenny Bell supercharger on em!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lord knows I have way "too many". I keep telling myself I should thin the herd, but as yet have had no major incentive to do so. On the other hand, the task of deciding which groups to keep and which to dispose of has been a major incentive to procrastinate. :o The current state of the market, where many of what I consider to be the most "collectible" Spydercos are somewhat undervalued has been another "ggod excuse" to hold off. The closest I've come so far is cutting back considerably on my acquisitions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I regret selling off many of my Spydies in the past. The ones I regret selling off most are:
Yojimbos
Dodos
Kopas
Millies
CoPilot
Shabaria
and a few others :(

BUT, I sold them to fund other things - some Spydies, and some to fund non-Spydies. All good, but I still end up buying more :p

I'm also trying to consolidate my collection at the moment and over the past year have sold off a fair few which I felt would go against the wishes of Sal as they were just sitting in the safe doing .... well .... nothing but gathering dust. Better they go to someone who can appreciate them I say :D

Lately I have been concentrating on mainly stuff which I can see myself EDCing (I still have way too many in my EDC rotation), and those that I can't see me doing so have and will be donated to someone who is going to appreciate them more than me.... with the exception possibly of my Kopas - I have too many of them, and can't see any signs of stopping ;) :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I've lucked into some package deals in past years where I've needed to sell duplicates of Spydies I already owned, but have had a very hard time parting with the bulk of my collecttion. Some of the knives were VERY difficult to come by (older police knife variations, CF Walkers, etc). I have let a couple of "one-off" prototypes go that I wish I still had, but they went to a good home. :spyder:
Steve
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I went through a rough financial spot about 3-4 years ago. I sold a Meerkat, Shabaria, Matriarch, Snap-It, Benchmade Ares, CS Trailmaster (Carbon V), Black Bear Classic, and a few more I'm forgetting. I wish I had them back! I've got about 52 Spydies and I sometimes think about getting rid of everything by my Dyads and my Dodos, but I can't quite make myself do it yet.

My step-daughter is 17 and my son is 10, so I'm looking at college expenses very soon. I will move out some Spydies if I need money to help the kiddos, that's for sure.

The Miata I've been wanting....that'll just have to wait. :(