How many Orange Dodo's does it take to get a Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GeorgeMaggos

count me in

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

90 I would prefer 2 of the PE only

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bump!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

90 so far!!!! Keep it up!
Vic
GG

Post by GG »

BTTT! It would be nice to see 100 folks semi-committed, which would probably mean that 300-400 (or more) would actually be sold. Once word of production hits BF, KF, and the other forums these should fly (did Dodo's fly, or is that why they're extinct, both literally and figuratively??:confused :) off the stores shelves. And since these will be a limited run, they GOTTA have premium steel - S90V sounds good... :D I'm not normally a fan of SE edges, but this blade shape, serrated, with great steel would be killer. Owners of both SE and PE Dodos - Which do you like better?
gg
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would even take it in 154CM to keep the price down :)

I know people nay-say the less "premium" steels but I don't mind something a bit less brittle. The Manix2 rocks in 154cm and is a very nice budget blade. I'd be tempted to buy a PE & SE if the price was in that $70-80 range.

With S90V it almost begs for premium scales (carbon fiber). That means the sprint would be in the 120-160 range likely (total guess).

It doesnt matter either way to me. I just want to see it happen one way or another :)
Azad

Post by Azad »

I'd take 2... I will. Bought 2 of the CF Manix 2 cos I started out late on Spydercos and missed out on the original and mini-manix. It'd be nice to have 2 orange ones. I heard they make great box cutters.
GG

Post by GG »

Azad wrote:I'd take 2... I will. Bought 2 of the CF Manix 2 cos I started out late on Spydercos and missed out on the original and mini-manix. It'd be nice to have 2 orange ones. I heard they make great box cutters.
That brings us to 92.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Count me in for 2

Total 94!
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Allright, I'll make it 95.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Blerv wrote:I would even take it in 154CM to keep the price down :)

I know people nay-say the less "premium" steels but I don't mind something a bit less brittle. The Manix2 rocks in 154cm and is a very nice budget blade. I'd be tempted to buy a PE & SE if the price was in that $70-80 range.

With S90V it almost begs for premium scales (carbon fiber). That means the sprint would be in the 120-160 range likely (total guess).

It doesnt matter either way to me. I just want to see it happen one way or another :)
I wonder which would be better for the Dodo? I would like to see something more akin to VG10 or 154CM since in my experience a shorter blade generally needs to be sharpened more, regardless of steel, and ease of sharpening is of great importance. But I can see the point of a steel with better retention as well.
hoshyoto

Post by hoshyoto »

You know, I wonder if Sal ever sits back and chuckles at the number of us chasing after a knife that was named after one of the first animals that people realized went extinct.

That being said, count me in with the dreamers, I'd love one. :)
GG

Post by GG »

hoshyoto wrote:You know, I wonder if Sal ever sits back and chuckles at the number of us chasing after a knife that was named after one of the first animals that people realized went extinct.
:)
Not only WENT extinct, but was the first extinction known to be caused by humans. It was just a big (50 lb!) flightless bird that didn't have many natural predators and was not afraid of man. Rather easy hunting... Did we also cause extinction of the 2nd Dodo by not buying enough? :rolleyes:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

spoonrobot wrote:I wonder which would be better for the Dodo? I would like to see something more akin to VG10 or 154CM since in my experience a shorter blade generally needs to be sharpened more, regardless of steel, and ease of sharpening is of great importance. But I can see the point of a steel with better retention as well.
With a serrated blade the sharpenings might be tougher but you only have to do it on say a 1/3 ratio (or maybe 1/5). A reverse s almost begs for serrations. With the blade shape, serrations, and handle it would be a pull-cut machine as many can likely attest too.

As for the steel choice. I like the concept of 154cm over VG10 would likely would be likely coming from the same place as S30v, S90v, etc and less likely to chip. *If* they did a sprint it would likely be a Golden run and the domestic offerings make more sense. I would think the tip would be less brittle too which might be a concern for this type of little big knife.

Ultimately I think a $70 knife is more sale-able in the current market than a $130 one. For that price you could almost buy one of each configuration and then you would always have something sharp in your pocket. If your a serration fanatic you could even use one and send it to Spyderco and alternate the the other, etc. I certainly wouldn't reject having access to a S90v Dodo (/feints), but I think the amount of people buying $100+ knives is slim to the Manix2 range.

Knives like the Dodo beg to be used. Since many people are asking for a G10 Cricket this would be a nice alternative with a better grip purchase for heavy duty cutting. Basically Orange, Blue, Black, Purple, 154cm, S90v, or some type of metal from Star Wars...I don't care, I'll take at least 1 please :)
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Blerv wrote:With a serrated blade the sharpenings might be tougher but you only have to do it on say a 1/3 ratio (or maybe 1/5). A reverse s almost begs for serrations. With the blade shape, serrations, and handle it would be a pull-cut machine as many can likely attest too.

As for the steel choice. I like the concept of 154cm over VG10 would likely would be likely coming from the same place as S30v, S90v, etc and less likely to chip. *If* they did a sprint it would likely be a Golden run and the domestic offerings make more sense. I would think the tip would be less brittle too which might be a concern for this type of little big knife.

Ultimately I think a $70 knife is more sale-able in the current market than a $130 one. For that price you could almost buy one of each configuration and then you would always have something sharp in your pocket. If your a serration fanatic you could even use one and send it to Spyderco and alternate the the other, etc. I certainly wouldn't reject having access to a S90v Dodo (/feints), but I think the amount of people buying $100+ knives is slim to the Manix2 range.

Knives like the Dodo beg to be used. Since many people are asking for a G10 Cricket this would be a nice alternative with a better grip purchase for heavy duty cutting. Basically Orange, Blue, Black, Purple, 154cm, S90v, or some type of metal from Star Wars...I don't care, I'll take at least 1 please :)
+1 to that! Make it 154cm, with a colored FRN or G-10 handle, at a Manix-like price and quality. Maybe I'd be up for one afterall.
Habit Zero

Post by Habit Zero »

I'd take a PE orange Dodo with VG-10 or S30V. I wouldn't spend premium blade and handle prices on such a small knife though.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

what the ****, 97
In omnia paratus
bpfsu

Post by bpfsu »

Make it 99.....
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I'll take one....

100!!!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

another one for me (if price human probably 2!)
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Lets keep this going!
Vic