Could a Spyderco take on a coconut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

choubbi wrote:An African Spyderco maybe, but not a European Spyderco.
At what air speed velocity? Maybe if you tied two of them together with a string...
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
v8r

Post by v8r »

Am I stranded on a Island with only my Spyderco knife , or can I have my sidearm also? :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Joshua J. wrote:At what air speed velocity? Maybe if you tied two of them together with a string...
You pair of Clowns! :D :p :)
christoph

Post by christoph »

So I cracked into a coconut tonight with the following tools:

1. Swiss army knife awl to poke out the eyes and drain the milk

2. Temperance 2 to crack the shell -- but not with the edge, with the spine, a few sharp taps around the equator

3. Atwood Prybaby to pop the meat out of the shell

4. Sage 2 for shaving the inner skin off the meat, trimming out bad spots, etc.

Now, I didn't start with the husk on (don't know where to buy one in Colorado) but if I had to do it with just one of those tools, it would be the Temperance 2 -- I think I could use that to make tools for the other steps (pointy sticks, wedges, etc.).

Then again I think a shard of stone would do almost as well; this is not a finesse kind of job. :-)

Another fun Saturday night at our house...
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

It would depend on if the coconut husk is still green or if it is dried out like the one in oregon's picture. When the coconut husk dries out it gets to be a lot tougher. When it is green a sharp knife will cut into the husk alot easier than if it is dried. A chopper would be the easiest. If you want to actually husk the coconut like it was mentioned a pointy pipe or rebar in the ground works great.

I've shown a few people how to husk coconuts if you don't have anything except some rocks it takes some time but you just beat the two ends on the ground till you can take a grab at the husk and keep repeating till you get to the shell.

I haven't seen this personally but i've talked to a few people who saw this one guy split the coconut open husk and all holding it in one hand and just giving it a forearm/elbow strike.

Kev.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

There was a guy in Thailand recently whom broke the world record for puncturing coconuts with just his thumb, they were with their green husks on... it was a lot.

It made the TV news because with just 3 coconuts to go, he broke his thumb...but continued anyway with a broken thumb on the last 3.

It'll be on Youtube somewhere...
untamed

Post by untamed »

^ Ouccchh! For the love of Grover, why?!?? Just thinking about that makes me cringe! Although you have to give him props for such determination.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm thinking about taking my rock salt EDGE side to a coconut. I'm going through a knife testing stage right now in my life.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

well it worked very very very well the first 3 chops didn't cut it in half though but the fourth chop cut it clean in half the first 3 just chopped pieces off. Then i went for round two with another coconut and the first shop chopped the end off clean the second cut it in half. Cutting round objects is no easy task as they want to move when you put force on them. The edge is still very useable after 2 coconuts and i used my stretch to get a little meat out of them quite tastey. I still have a third but i think i might actually eat it instead of destroying it with the Rock Salt. Also I ordered a Forester so i'll need more coconuts for that and i'm sure it'll do the job with GUSTO. I took pics with my phone but my computer doesn't let me upload with memory cards and the USB set up for my phone is alien to me when i figure it out i'll post pics. Well i lied the edge is still razor sharp after 2 coconuts and chopping it into the tree stump to hold the knife. I geuss this H-1 steel really does get better with use I also chopped a few small branches while i was out with the coconuts. This stuff is AMAZING.
noddy

Post by noddy »

This'd do I reckon - no problem :D :D

5mm thick, a foot long and serrated :D

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm sure that would saw through a coconut with ease it's also 440C
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Manix could do it
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

noddy wrote:This'd do I reckon - no problem :D :D

5mm thick, a foot long and serrated :D

Mmm, whale rescue blade. I want an appropriately scaled down folder with that blade shape (Or smaller fixed blade for that matter). :spyder: Rescue Hawk?
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

If that thing was available for purchase, I wonder how many people here would actually buy one?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
noddy

Post by noddy »

You never know when you will be called on to rescue a whale - trip over the **** things all over the place around here
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

As said in first page.... I think this will do it! http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39117
Come Join Us Click Here
noddy

Post by noddy »

Funny how the whale rescue blade looks uncannily like something you might design to clean one
hickster

Post by hickster »

noddy wrote:Funny how the whale rescue blade looks uncannily like something you might design to clean one
Maybe that's why they aren't for sale to the general public! :D ;)

Mmm- muctuc anyone? :p
hickster
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd buy one of they ever became avaiable to the public to trim trees of course....
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Another coconut down but i ate this one and it was tastey. I think everyone should eat a fresh coconut every now and then.