2009 Forum Native - Second Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lockback

2009 Forum Native - Second Run

Post by Lockback »

I started another thread about the possibility of a second run of the 2009 Forum Natives, but was perhaps too obtuse in my question.

Several forum members, for various reasons, did not have the opportunity to order the 2009 Forum Native, which was much more popular than anyone imagined. There seems to be a significant amount of unmet demand. Personally, I had hoped to purchase two - one as a user, and one to put back for my newborn child (I got my other child a significant Spyderco that was released in the year they were born, as well).

Thus, my question is this: who would be interested in a second run of 2009 Forum Natives, if Spyderco produced them? Would you be willing to pre-order and/or pre-pay to make it easier for such a run to be produced?

Lockback
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I would buy at least two
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Free Radical

Post by Free Radical »

I missed out on the first day. I'd like at least one.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HONESTY COMMUNICATION ACCURACY SPEED[/CENTER]
[CENTER] "Spyderco proudly sets the standard in cutlery and other markets by delivering innovative, reliable, high-performance products. We always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. Our success is measured by making money and having fun."[/CENTER]
SpyderPal

no more limited runs

Post by SpyderPal »

If we would see a second run of the Forum Native,
any future announcement of a "limited to xxx pieces run"
would be meaningless.
All the best for you,
Manfred

Sal, thank you for giving us the FRN Stretch!

Passion is the spice in the spirit that makes excellence possible.
Sal on BF
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

I would like one. I joined the forum too late to participate on the first run.
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

how dare you!!! re-releasing this knife would decrease the value of the forum knives that were bought for resale. how are the ebay dealers supposed to make a profit when you guys (forum members) keep requesting multiple runs for your own collection. (sarcasm)

i'm already over the forum knife. i would like to see a second run of that same knife, but without the etching.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Could be etched "2nd run" maybe, just for clarity.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

SpyderPal wrote:If we would see a second run of the Forum Native,
would be meaningless.
I agree. That's part of the business to anticipate how much of your product to make, how many will sell, even how many buyers will try to profit or not. And so on, etc. etc. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is looking and it is also to do what you say you are going to do. Limited to xxx pieces is what they said. Learn and move on.

It is a shame that an appreciation knife did not get to as many "appreciatees" as we would like, but at the same time, Spyderco has just created a valued collector piece and in the long term has added to the viability of the company.

We can all look forward to next year. I'm sure Spyderco will come up with an ordering system that will allow more forum members to get their knife.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

SpyderPal wrote:If we would see a second run of the Forum Native,
would be meaningless.
I think that the forum knife was made as a "thank you" to it's members.....if too few were produced what's the harm if Spyderco makes a few more ? Oh wait .....then you wouldn't have a "limited to xxx piece run"....after all, that's the spirit in which Spyderco created the forum knife. :rolleyes:
hiredgun wrote:I agree. That's part of the business to anticipate how much of your product to make, how many will sell, even how many buyers will try to profit or not. And so on, etc. etc. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is looking and it is also to do what you say you are going to do. Limited to xxx pieces is what they said. Learn and move on.

It is a shame that an appreciation knife did not get to as many "appreciates" as we would like, but at the same time, Spyderco has just created a valued collector piece and in the long term has added to the viability of the company.

We can all look forward to next year. I'm sure Spyderco will come up with an ordering system that will allow more forum members to get their knife.
.....I think that your view needs to be balanced with the what Spyderco's intentions were, when it created the forum knife. I agree with you that it is probably best to move on; what's done is done....and I am certain, as are you, that Spyderco will improve upon it's future distribution system, when sales are announced for next year's forum knife.

However, I would have no problem if Spyderco decided to produce another "batch" of this year's forum knife.....in the spirit of extending a "thank you" to a few more of it's members. Not to lecture, but the definition of "value" has several different meanings.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Ted

Post by Ted »

I don't want to sound harsh here, but I think that everybody who truly wanted one, could have gotten one. I for example checked the forums regularly to see when it would go on-line. It was announced a week in advance. They were available for about 7 hours. Luckily for me the sale was at 18:00 local time so it didn't interfere with work. If I would have known that I wouldn't be able to be on-line or able to make a phone call, I would have asked my wife, or a good friend. Otherwise I would have contacted one of the more regular forum members here (go to member-list, and sort on # of posts) to see if they could help me out. I'm certain that a lot of members here would have helped anyone with a plausable story and who made sure he was credible. I would have, and have done so in the past, all on good faith.

If you gambled on whether they would be available the next day or after work hours, then things, surprisingly to everybody, turned out different. That's a risk of gambling. IMHO, that doesn't justify another batch. This one is special, not only the model but also the story behind it, and it needs to stay special.

For what it's worth, I already forwarded my 'spare' to someone who missed out.

Now I'll go hiding under my desk...

Ted
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Ted wrote:I don't want to sound harsh here, but I think that everybody who truly wanted one, could have gotten one. I for example checked the forums regularly to see when it would go on-line. It was announced a week in advance. They were available for about 7 hours. Luckily for me the sale was at 18:00 local time so it didn't interfere with work. If I would have known that I wouldn't be able to be on-line or able to make a phone call, I would have asked my wife, or a good friend. Otherwise I would have contacted one of the more regular forum members here (go to member-list, and sort on # of posts) to see if they could help me out. I'm certain that a lot of members here would have helped anyone with a plausable story and who made sure he was credible. I would have, and have done so in the past, all on good faith.

If you gambled on whether they would be available the next day or after work hours, then things, surprisingly to everybody, turned out different. That's a risk of gambling. IMHO, that doesn't justify another batch. This one is special, not only the model but also the story behind it, and it needs to stay special.

For what it's worth, I already forwarded my 'spare' to someone who missed out.

Now I'll go hiding under my desk...

Ted
....not everyone who didn't get one gambled. I think the knife was intended as a "thank you" to the forum membership, and not just an "exclusive". To make it such, is.....well.....regretable.

Your a good man Ted for "forwarding" your spare. ;)

You can run, but you can't hide. :)

- best regards

That some want to make it such, is.....well.....better left unsaid.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Please No, It's over let it be.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
subrosa

Post by subrosa »

I was stuck in meetings all that morning and casually was able to buy one at lunch time. I even set up a calendar reminder. I figured they would last a bit longer then they did personally.

The problem with marking them "2nd run" then all the "1st run" folks have to make sure to complete the collection.

I got a knife, so I don't think a second run is necessary....if I didn't get a knife I would think a second run is necessary ;)
Current Spyders - Leafstorm, Native, Forum Native 2009 and H1 ladybug
Spyders on a Plane - none :spyder:
Noble

Post by Noble »

IMHO, id be satisfied with a chance to snag a FFG Native. Maybe Spyderco, without depreciating the forum knives could just make a Native with a FFG s30v or VG10 blade. To me, although I was here for the forum knife, and watched its availability and had the opportunity to buy one, I didnt have the funds to buy it. I think alot of the want for this blade, again IMHO, was because of the glorious FFG blade. AND dont get me wrong, its a FORUM knife, so sentiment. BUt I really wanted it for the FFG in Native Trim. Bieng a Forum Exclusive was a big bonus. I think theyd sell a ****-of-alot of FFG Natives.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Donovan808 wrote:IMHO, id be satisfied with a chance to snag a FFG Native. Maybe Spyderco, without depreciating the forum knives could just make a Native with a FFG s30v or VG10 blade. To me, although I was here for the forum knife, and watched its availability and had the opportunity to buy one, I didnt have the funds to buy it. I think alot of the want for this blade, again IMHO, was because of the glorious FFG blade. AND dont get me wrong, its a FORUM knife, so sentiment. BUt I really wanted it for the FFG in Native Trim. Bieng a Forum Exclusive was a big bonus. I think theyd sell a ****-of-alot of FFG Natives.
I think a regular black FRN native with a FFG S30V blade could be a plausible variation. VG-10 probably not since that's a Japanese steel and would require having it cut and grinded in Japan, and then shipped back and assembled in Golden. The only difference to the current model is the grind, which IIRC is done in Golden. The catch is that FFG appeals more to knife afi's then to the general market, which is more the target of the Native. Either way, such a variation is surely more realistic then the regularly proposed 'steel/material/grind/clip/country' variation of the month here on the forums. IMHO, it wouldn't hurt the collector value or 'special' aspect of the forum knife since that one still has a special color, clip and engraving combination.
Noble

Post by Noble »

Ted wrote:I think a regular black FRN native with a FFG S30V blade could be a plausible variation. VG-10 probably not since that's a Japanese steel and would require having it cut and grinded in Japan, and then shipped back and assembled in Golden. The only difference to the current model is the grind, which IIRC is done in Golden. The catch is that FFG appeals more to knife afi's then to the general market, which is more the target of the Native. Either way, such a variation is surely more realistic then the regularly proposed 'steel/material/grind/clip/country' variation of the month here on the forums. IMHO, it wouldn't hurt the collector value or 'special' aspect of the forum knife since that one still has a special color, clip and engraving combination.
Yes. This.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i didn't get one... waited a tad too long. my girlfriend (who loves purple!) was determined to get one, but also missed the small window of opportunity. i'm a little disappointed, but life goes on...

CHEERS and thanks to spyderco for making this happen! i'm glad that the knife sold out.

JEERS to the ebay profiteers who took advantage of this special forum knife project. i hope, in the case of unscrupulous dealers, that the extra couple bucks does not offset the loss of customers.

even though there were positives and negatives about this project, i don't think that there should be any additional forum knives made this year to meet lingering demand. the run was limited to 300 pieces -- changing this wouldn't be fair to the collectors who got knives.

HOWEVER, I AM ALL FOR MORE PURPLE FRN IN THE FUTURE!

also, for FFG + FRN natives!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
hebegb

forum knife 2nd run

Post by hebegb »

The solution would be to make another batch with no forum knife logo, and, if necessary, change the color of the frn, to further distance it from the forum knives. The fact is, it's a great knife at a great price that more people want, including me.
knifedude

Post by knifedude »

Where is David with his peanut butter and jelly?? :)
GOD BLESS!!!
Jeff :spyder::D
Ted

Post by Ted »

knifedude wrote:Where is David with his peanut butter and jelly?? :)
As far as I can see, this is a very civilized and valid discussion. There would be something wrong if a forum knife can't be discussed on a forum ...