2009 Forum Knife Go LIVE Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

hoshyoto wrote:Personally, the spiderweb engraving is what kept me from buying this knife. I was actually in the confirmation portion of the purchase process and just couldn't do it because I didn't care for the web covering the entire blade. After seeing how many people didn't get the opportunity to buy their knife I'm glad that I wound up passing. I would feel awful if I had bought a knife that I was relatively ambivalent towards while someone who greatly desired it missed out.

Now onto more pressing things, like brainstorming ideas for the 2010 knife :D . I vote for a Dodo. Perhaps in H1 or ZDP-189? Maybe with a spiderweb emanating from the Spydie hole across the corner of the blade? I'll take any color. Thoughts?

Jeff
I vote for a Dodo as well! I have been reluctant to buy too many Spyderco's besides my EDC Hawkbill (when I lost my beloved Harpy I replaced it with a Tasman Salt) but the exclusivity and community aspects of the forum knife make it impossible to not indulge my inner collector. The Dodo has always been on my "one day" list and making it a forum knife would move it into the "must have" list!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree on the Dodo. S90v would allow it to be made in Golden. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Deacon wrote: [*]the C41 Native is a popular model
[*]it had never been offered before in full flat grind
Deacon didn't mention the C41CF, perhaps he repressed the memory due to his fear of swedges.

This model actually makes his point stronger, because the only previous FFG Native was $260. Those of us who admired the C41CF but balked at the price were all the more determined to obtain the forum Native.

I imagine there is a similar effect with the FRN Stretch.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

Sequimite, that's the only other Native I've had. I love Carbon Fiber knives, but the Native never struck me as a great knife IMO. Something about the ergo's for my hand bothered me with it. It's remained a safe queen...

I purchased the Forum knife as a badge of honor of belonging to a great community. It's no different than some of the patches I put on my riding vest.

While i've never cared for the Native design, I will proudly wear my Forum Native as I do my USN Endura (another blade shape which does nothing for me) in my EDC extended rotation.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

alexcue wrote:Sequimite, that's the only other Native I've had. . . . Something about the ergo's for my hand bothered me with it.
This will be my first Native, so I'm relying on the similarity to the Sage which fits my hand perfectly. I've bought other models with great anticipation only to find that they did not fit my hand well.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

hoshyoto wrote:Now onto more pressing things, like brainstorming ideas for the 2010 knife :D . I vote for a Dodo. Perhaps in H1 or ZDP-189? Maybe with a spiderweb emanating from the Spydie hole across the corner of the blade? I'll take any color. Thoughts?
Jeff
As much as I would love to see the Dodo again, my preference would be not as a forum knife, but that's just me. I would much rather log on to the forum one day, and see a post from Eric Glesser out of the blue, without any forewarning, stating "oh by the way, the 400 piece run of the titanium S90V Dodo is out now." Much like he did with the CF Manix2. :D :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
xrob

Post by xrob »

Disappointed. Missed it. I thought there was going to be a twitter announcement, so I've been off the forums waiting. So much for that plan...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Wow! That was fast! Called in my order at precisely 10:00 and figured ground shipping would get it here on Monday. So I had a nice surprise when I got home from work and discovered a little package from Golden sitting on my doorstep. One knife is perfect (for the collection) while the other has a very minor flaw in the FRN, but it's gonna be a user anyway, so no big deal and not something that most people would even notice. It's my first Native (and forum knife), and I'm very happy with it. I'd post pics, but am having computer problems.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:I believe there were several. The last, and possibly worst, was the 2003 Spyderco Forum Native III. But IIRC, Spyderco took a beating on the BladeForums Spyderco Forum Spyderhawk of the same year and the 2001 BladeForums G-10 Native as well.

In the past, folks blamed all three of those on the choice of color, so either purple has more of a following than blue, or some other factor, or more likely factors, were at work. I'm inclined to think it was a mix of a number of things including, but not limited to, these:
  • the C41 Native is a popular model
  • it had never been offered before in full flat grind
  • full flat grind is currently very popular among the forumites
  • the full coverage spiderweb engraving :cool:
  • more folks online, and online more, than there were in prior years
  • longer period between announcement and release - more chance for folks to find out about it
  • the economy, more folks looking for ways to make a few bucks
  • the economy, folks thinking "I really can't afford one, but if I buy 3 and sell 2, I'll have one for free"
I also think selective memory came into play, same as it does with gamblers. Folks remembered the handful of USN Enduras that went for big buck on eBay and convinced themselves that they'd be the one to hit it big on this one.
I agree with everything above, just would like to add couple reasons, which probably added popularity to this knife:

1. We didn't have Forum knife for three years (feels like six), so some old members got anxious to get a new Forum knife, as well as new members, who had opportunity to get their first Forum knife at affordable price.
2. I am sorry if I will hurt somebody's feelings. With all my love to Adventura and Lava and respect to Alex and Chad, two previous Forum knives look absolutely the same as production + etch "Forum knife". 2009 Forum knife looks like nothing else, it is unique.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
I. M. Nutts

I ordered one.

Post by I. M. Nutts »

Mine will be delivered here on monday according to UPS.
This will be my first, made in the USA Spyderco. Very exciting for me.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

Mine has shipped and started to make its way down to NZ :)
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

Tuesday is the day for me :D :D
I have my little Toad to keep me company till then :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Should be here tonight!!!!
Come Join Us Click Here
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I haven't heard anything yet but I ordered on the phone and asked for priority mail shipping.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I had two packages waiting for me in the mail when I got home today: my Forum Native, and a RAT Izula :)

Going to have fun playing with knives this weekend! This is my 3rd Spyderco, but my other two are "temporarily misplaced" in a box somewhere :mad:

I am loving the size/weight/feel of this knife! I had debated for awhile because I wasn't wild about purple, but I am glad I ordered it!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Well.... I GOT IT!

Really nice, wish I bought an extra(:eek :)

Seriously, this is one nice knife... The purple, the full flat grind, everything.

This is my first native, purple, forum knife so I am loving this experience.

Some pictures to come tomorrow.

Thank you spyderco!!!!
Come Join Us Click Here
bh49

Post by bh49 »

cosmo7809 wrote:Well.... I GOT IT!

Really nice, wish I bought an extra(:eek :)

Seriously, this is one nice knife... The purple, the full flat grind, everything.

This is my first native, purple, forum knife so I am loving this experience.

Some pictures to come tomorrow.

Thank you spyderco!!!!
Too bad that you cannot carry it in NYC, but you can send to me and I will EDC it for you. I even pay postage :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Haha, send your address right over. And I can ship it tomorrow

Just be on the look out of a picture of the knife
Come Join Us Click Here
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Mine came
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
oregon

Post by oregon »

Beautiful photos. Thank you kindly J Smith.

Wow is that Forum knife something else. Really sweet knife. WTG Spyderco.

Scary background.

Maybe mine will show up on Monday...

oregon