To all Leafstorm owners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
meng

To all Leafstorm owners

Post by meng »

Hi everyone, alot of people are writing that there is a great risk of cutting yourself with the Leafstorm so I just want to know how many owners actually cut themselves with it. Ofcourse this goes for owners who have used it alot everyday/week. Just want to know how ´dangerous´ this knife can/will be.

All owners who haven´t cut themselves, please also respond.

Thanks for any reply...........

Meng
subrosa

Post by subrosa »

I have owned my leafstorm for about a month. I have yet to cut myself on the blade.

As with any liner/frame lock you could cut yourself as your finger will be in the path as the knife closes....I really think is a non-issue. I snap my knives open, but I do take some care when closing them, especially liner/framelocks.
Current Spyders - Leafstorm, Native, Forum Native 2009 and H1 ladybug
Spyders on a Plane - none :spyder:
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

What people...Who?

Unless there is a defect, it is no less safe than any other knife of the same design.

Seems like a really great knife to me. Looking forward to adding one soon.

We need a little more to go on to classify this knife as anything other than a linerlock. And a very high quality, well made linerlock at that!

Toad
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

Been using mine for about 1.5 weeks now. It started work last Monday. I went from a small sebenza to this. It is not as dangerous as one might think. As with any knife, you just need to get use to it. :p
________
*** wet
________
Vaporizer Information
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Toad310 wrote:What people...Who?

Unless there is a defect, it is no less safe than any other knife of the same design.
I'm making a guess here and thinking that he is referring to the sharp corner that sits next to where the index finger would seem to go. I imagine it would be easy to inattentively choke up or slide your finger forward and cut oneself, since most knives don't have a sharp back edge with nothing between it and the finger (called a ricasso IIRC). I haven't handled one, so maybe it's not an issue, but I can see where he's coming from.
Attachments
Leafstorm2.jpg
Leafstorm2.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

meng wrote:Hi everyone, alot of people are writing that there is a great risk of cutting yourself with the Leafstorm so I just want to know how many owners actually cut themselves with it. Ofcourse this goes for owners who have used it alot everyday/week. Just want to know how ´dangerous´ this knife can/will be.

All owners who haven´t cut themselves, please also respond.

Thanks for any reply...........

Meng
I think you are reading an awful lot into a handful of observations.

A few people, including Mr Blonde in this thread, have reported getting nicked by the Leafstorm due to the combination of a sharp, unprotected, blade corner and forward slanted handle shown in the photo Jabba359 posted. I have expressed the opinion that its use requires a higher level of attentiveness regarding hand position than many other Spyderco models. A couple others have mentioned that as well. I've also expressed the opinion that, like other designs which lack both a choil and a thumb ramp, there is very little to prevent one's hand from sliding forward onto the blade. The other side of that is, unless you are stabbing the knife vigorously into a firm object, that is not really a problem. So, what's really being noted is that this knife requires a higher level of attentiveness, something like that needed when riding a motorcycle.

I could be wrong, but I'd guess most of the ones sold so far have been bought by collectors, for their collection, rather than by folks who are carrying them on a daily basis. I also suspect the ones who do carry them use them only occasionally and for light duty "office" type tasks, so am not sure you'll get a lot of feedback regarding heavy everyday use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I always prefer a thumb ramp or choil or better yet, both in my carry knives. Those that don't get left out of my EDC rotation. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Dan
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

jabba359 wrote:I'm making a guess here and thinking that he is referring to the sharp corner that sits next to where the index finger would seem to go. I imagine it would be easy to inattentively choke up or slide your finger forward and cut oneself, since most knives don't have a sharp back edge with nothing between it and the finger (called a ricasso IIRC). I haven't handled one, so maybe it's not an issue, but I can see where he's coming from.
When I first heard that this knife had the RIL I thought it was a must buy. Then I saw a picture of the Leafstorm and this area came to my attention. My thought was if I got this knife, I had to be very careful otherwise I'd get nicked. It's still a good knife but you just have to be aware of this area.
Praxis

Post by Praxis »

I've been carrying mine around the office for the past few weeks. No problems with cutting myself, but like Deacon said, I do pay more attention when I am using the Leafstorm than with other Spyderco knives. It's a very unique design but definitely not the best choice for stabbing through drywall or 55 gallon drums, etc. :D :rolleyes: :D
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I agree that this point might be overcooked a bit. Maybe we are just spoiled by having choils on our Spydies. After all many, many knives dont have choils and we dont cut ourselves on the inner blade side...half the time when Im making cuts, I dont use the choil anyway. This issue orginally put me off on the Leafstorm, but I have to admit that the lure of the translucent G10, RIL and Wilkins collaboration (Im not likely to ever get a real Wilkins) has put it back at the top of my list.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
subrosa

Post by subrosa »

The photo posted above does illustrate the issue if you hold the knife with 4 fingers. A simple 3 finger hold would eliminate the slipping problem and is overall more comfortable.

I am fairly sure this is the way it was designed to be held.
Current Spyders - Leafstorm, Native, Forum Native 2009 and H1 ladybug
Spyders on a Plane - none :spyder:
st_burt

Mine works fine

Post by st_burt »

I've had mine for a couple days, and so far it works fine. My hand is small enough that I can fit all four fingers comfortably behind the part of the handle where most people rest their index finger. With this grip, the clip doesn't dig into my hand, the gimping on the spine is in the right place, and there's no danger of my hand slipping. The Leafstorm is my smallest Spyderco so far, but I like it a lot. I'd like to see the translucent green G10 (or is it G11?) on more Spydercos.

Take care,

Stephen
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

If it is bothering you, why not round it of a bit.
Pure collectors would object but they do not have this problem.
But if you like to use it, just apply a bit of a radius with whatever you use to sharpen your knives with and she's fine.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com

Post by 65535 »

Haven't cut myself, but haven't used it either. Once you find the way it fits your hand, you'll like it, and you shouldn't have a finger in that area, try gripping it back.

At least for me I hated the fit but loved the knife, then I started liking the grip I found to. I keep fingers away from those areas.
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

Illustration of hand size, relating to just "one" of the many ways to grip a Leafstorm.

My sized hand has no problem with this particular grip. I don't worry about cutting myself.
[ATTACH]13311[/ATTACH]

The middle and ring fingers "lock in" the grip.
[ATTACH]13312[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

roguesoul wrote:
The middle and ring fingers "lock in" the grip.
[ATTACH]13312[/ATTACH]
Sweet! Sign of the devil grip! :D

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

zenheretic wrote:Sweet!...
:cool: