Endura tang question...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mjsnative

Endura tang question...

Post by mjsnative »

I got my first endura a few weeks ago and really do love the design and overall feel of the knife. But one of the things that has bothered me is that no matter how much I tighten or loosen the pivot I still have vertical blade play. Not alot but enough to feel it push up when I first start to cut something. Tonight I got to looking at the tang where the lock engages and noticed that it is not level at all. There is a rise up and then a good sized notch. After comparing it to my native which is flat and has one of the best lock ups of any of my knives I got to wondering if I got a if I got a flawed one. Any of you guys have this same type of rough tang?
"When you get to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on". :D:spyder:
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

It should not be that noticeable..And if it is then I'd say most likely you were shipped a defective one and maybe you should return it if your not able to work the blade play out of it. And if you cant return it to the seller you ordered from, you could contact spyderco customer service and see what they can do! :)
Hope you get it worked out!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I had something similiar with my G10 Endura. When opened, the blade and spine were not flat with the scales like my other Spydies. When I pushed on the blade, there was a small movement like the blade settling in. I was not satisfied with it since it my other Spydies all were flush when opened. I took some pics and sent to Spyderco W&R. They couldnt tell and told me to send it in. It ended up being in spec and they did something to adjust it a bit. Now its closer to perfect - not perfect, but at least I know its in spec and normal. You might benefit from maybe sending them some pics first to see it they can tell.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The lock notch in the tang has three surfaces, front, bottom, and rear. Are you talking about the bottom? If so, he shape is unimportant, as the lock bar should never make contact with it.

The round cutout in the rear corner of it serves as both a stress relief and crap trap. Not sure why the Native does not have one, since most other Spyderco front locks I own do. The Native's lock not does appear to be deeper and have more meat behind it than most of the others, so that could be the reason, Or it could simply be a result of blades are cut and finished differently in Golden than they are in Seki.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mjsnative

Post by mjsnative »

Thanks guys for your help. I will more than likely just keep it the way that it is I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed the same thing. It is one of those things where I don't really notice it all that much but I know that it is still there.
"When you get to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on". :D:spyder: